Thread: Getting Bored?

User Info Menu

Default Getting Bored?

Hello to all.

Nice to be here.

I joined to keep my interest up with the yamaha Xpress3 kit that i purchased about 10 months ago. I really love to hit the damn thing. Although its nothing like the reall thing it gives me a kick.......... and a snare, and something that resembles a h-hat.

My background is in composition, and i have worked on some big projects and small ones. My music has been heard on discovery channel in every country but my own and ive done some local features films. I have good melody and harmony skills - but no damn rhythm

. SO i decided to hit something to take my frustration out. SOoner or later the hitting became a pattern.. a pattern of 8ths, the kick started to syncopate, then a pattern of 16ths , then the snare started to do offbeats, and the kick began to do 16ths b-booms.. b-boom...
    i started to loosen my tight grasp on the sticks and they started to b-b-bounce and i got control. Im just starting to parradiddle my way arround the kit cross filling to each drum and cymbal... it feels so great! I taught myself this far from vic firths free lessons.

NOw I find myself in front of the kit 2 hours per day, even when i have more pressing composing to do.

But im bored, I sit down and play/practice the same stuff that i played last time.. and i want to get better..

Yes i should get a teacher, by my locale is so very remote that it is not possible.. I reside in Tasmania at the end of some very old copper wire. THere are only wild animals here. Where do i go from here?

I want to nail this
    Last edited by drummer; 06-02-2008 at 08:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting Bored?

Hey Roon nice to meet you...
    I dunno if I be suitable to answer your question properly....

Like you...I ever feel bored drummin'....
    But it's only a past mate....
    You said that you bored becoz of praticing the same stuff everyday ??
    Come on....Everything need practice to be perfect...
    And if you feel bored, you can cover some of your fav songs....

And about teacher....Check You Tube.....You'll not imagine how many Good Drummers around the world that can help you....Learn from Video....And then practice on your kit...
    That sure a nice idea....

And I'm sure a lot of good drummers will give you a hand about this....
    Once again.....Welcome mate....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat , and never forget its all about having fun .

Being in a remote local isnt too bad , you can play the drums when ever you want and dont have to worry about getting the neighbors mad at you .

User Info Menu

you are not so remote that you dont have the net. if you cant find a teacher, there is a world of knowledge available on youtube. just search for drum lessons and you will find a lesson on about anything you can imagine. some are professionally produced some are just some great nobody of a player with a camera and alot to teach.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Getting Bored?

Hey, r00n...welcome to DrumChat, mate!

As you can see while you're poking around the threads, we have a lot of members in Australia and New Zealand, and they're all cool guys and ladies!

Be sure to check out www.drumbum.com ... it's DrumChat's brother site and you'll find links to dozens of lessons and drumming tips...

And rest assured you'll find plenty of advice from your brother and sister drummers in this forum!

BTW, we have another link I'd like you to check out...http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tion-1699.html

...it's a fun thing we do with our newbies...and it's a great way to meet some of the wackier members of this family!

Welcome to DrumChat, mate! (I'm a Yank from Illinois, U.S.A., but many of my favorite DrumChatters are Aussies!)
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

r00n, it sounds like you're doing very well all on your own. It also sounds like you've done well with rock beats. It might be time for you to take on a new challenge to keep things fresh. How about learning Jazz, or Funk? Taking things in a new direction can sometimes cure the boredom, and it just might spice up the rock drumming!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

welcome to the forum r00n

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Hey, r00n...welcome to DrumChat, mate!

As you can see while you're poking around the threads, we have a lot of members in Australia and New Zealand, and they're all cool guys and ladies!

Be sure to check out www.drumbum.com ... it's DrumChat's brother site and you'll find links to dozens of lessons and drumming tips...

And rest assured you'll find plenty of advice from your brother and sister drummers in this forum!

BTW, we have another link I'd like you to check out...http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...tion-1699.html

...it's a fun thing we do with our newbies...and it's a great way to meet some of the wackier members of this family!

Welcome to DrumChat, mate! (I'm a Yank from Illinois, U.S.A., but many of my favorite DrumChatters are Aussies!)
    duh, i totally forgot about the drumbum lessons. good call.

User Info Menu

I like to work towards a new skill until I nail it, and then move onto something else.

Look up Bonham Triplets on youtube and see if you can get good and fast with them... they frustrated me to no end, but you feel so good when you nail something like that, and the new skill never goes away.

User Info Menu

thanks for the welcome..

i am sorry that i dont have many percussive skills and would prolly need more assistance that i am able to assist. I suppose i have some other skills that might help some.

drumbum - an excellent resource .. thanks for that.

i have just watched a video on utube on bonham triplets... started out slow and then went 300bpm .. i just dropped my sticks and my jaw hit the floor! it sounded excellent

from what i could hear (snare ,mid ,floor tom)#3triplet kick kick. ok im in first gear!

Jazz and FunK? sounds like great fun.. i shall try tube for them too...

i have found a new friend - he lives 15 minutes away from my home and is a drummer and manufacturer of drums! go figure. things present themselves at strange times.

User Info Menu

oooh
    i got to add - i was never bored... just stuck in a rut... i could quite happily play that rut all day!
    I LOVE DRUMZ

User Info Menu

That a Drummer Spirit !!!
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

HEy Roon, welcome to Drum Chat. I have not had lessons with a teacher in two years. I am always picking up new ideas on youtube drumming lessons and other websites such as drumbum. Got to keep it fresh I suppose. I find that there is so much to learn and have fun with, that there is always something that keeps me so eager to play.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate