Thread: Need some opinions

User Info Menu

Default Need some opinions

I think I have posted this before. If so oh well here it goes again. I have a 17" Sabian AAX Dark Crash that I simply love. I bought it used of Ebay last year. But it has a flaw and Im wondering if I should try to repair it or let it be. The problem is when the cymbal was manufactured the center hole is not perfectly centered. Therefore the cymbal is not "balanced". In other words while playing it the cymbal will rotate unevenly until it reaches one spot and stays there. Then I will be hotting the same area of the cymball over and over. I have tried things like uneven felt pads, Grombels, ect.... and nothing helps. Now should I tried to have the hole machined evenly or should I just roll with it the way it is. Any help is appreciated.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need some opinions

Perhaps you can have the hole slightly enlarged to compensate for the "off centeredness" of the existing hole and then put one of those grommets in it ( I forgot the brand name) but they are designed to keep the cymbal from keyholing. That might be a solution. If you have to drill too much out of it that it makes the hole too big then I would just leave it.

User Info Menu

i would definitely fix it. drill around it and make the hole circular. cant let those babies go to waste

User Info Menu

i am a machinist

i will sugest to go to a machine shaop to mill it not drilling and it will be in the center

it will cost you more but a aax cymbal worth some money

maybe it will cost you 50.00 if you pay cash maybe 30.00

but please don't drill it

Riouel

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    i am a machinist

i will sugest to go to a machine shaop to mill it not drilling and it will be in the center

it will cost you more but a aax cymbal worth some money

maybe it will cost you 50.00 if you pay cash maybe 30.00

but please don't drill it

Riouel
    That is a valid point Riouel, my father was a machinist and I have grown up around it. I inherited a bridge port mill and a small lathe, but I am not trained to use them but for only the most rudimentary projects (bushings and stuff) I considered suggesting that very thing but figured that most people wouldn't understand what I was trying to suggest. It does need to be clamped down and milled with precision or the bit will just follow the hole and make the offset hole bigger instead of centering it. But you don't think that if you clamped it to a drill press table that it couldn't be done with that?

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help guys. FWIW I was thinking if I done any work to it I would get a machinist to do it. Hopefully I can get it fixed. It's agreat sounding cymbal but I know hitting it on one side will probably shorten it's life.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Dawg...just turn the bass drum around!!