Thread: Cymbal sound problem.

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal sound problem.

Hey everyone, I have a small problem with my ride cymbal. Whenever I start riding after about 15 seconds of riding I start hearing this really high pitched noise which sounds almost like feedback you can hear from a microphone. After about 5 seconds it goes away but comes back in another short time. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal sound problem.

Socal, you might want to try a bit of moongel, or duct tape, or something of that type on the underneath side of the cymbal. If it is excessive overtones, this might help. The other thing that I might ask is where you strike your ride when playing it? There are different parts to each cymbal (bell, bow, and edge), and where you are striking it could possibly have a bearing on what you are hearing.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If you're digging the side of your stick into the cymbal rather than hitting it with the tip of the stick, it could be the cause.

But definatley whack a big piece of gaffer tape on the back of the cymbal and see if that helps...

User Info Menu

This is a characteristic of a bad cymbal. Some of them, even brand new at the store, will have that annoying high-pitched overtone that always lingers in the background. This is one more reason for trying out cymbals and checking them over real good before you buy them.

User Info Menu

What brand of cymbal is it?

User Info Menu

I agree with drummer. It's either a bad cymbal or it's messed up somehow. You shouldn't need to put tape or moon gel on a cymbal to get it to sound right.
    Take it back if you can.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I bought it less then 3 days ago and i Have a 1 year warranty from guitar center should I try to return it?

User Info Menu

Yes!!!

User Info Menu

Many cymbals will have what is called Wash and some are more excessive than others. Wash is the overtones that seem to get in the way. Avedjis Zildjians have a lot of Wash. K Zildjians, Istanbuls etc. are much more articulate in sound and have less wash. What you need to know is what it is that you want from the cymbals you wish to purchase. I would want to know if the clerk at GC asked you anything about your playing so that you could be directed to the proper cymbals. It is very important to know that all ride cymbals are not alike. In fact, all cymbals are different from each other. It seems, from what I read in yuor post, you want a cymbal with less wash and a more controlled pitch. Not knowing what cymbals you need to look for, you can, however, identify them by their looks. Look for any that have what appears to be hammer marks...ask the sales staff for help. It's the hammering that produces more articulation. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I agree with drummer. It's either a bad cymbal or it's messed up somehow. You shouldn't need to put tape or moon gel on a cymbal to get it to sound right.
    Take it back if you can.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS QUIKSTANG *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS A FACT EXCELLENT *POINT **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socaldrums View Post
    I bought it less then 3 days ago and i Have a 1 year warranty from guitar center should I try to return it?
    HOLA COMO ESTAS SOCALDRUMS *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) You REALLY should TAKE IT BACK AND THIS TIME SPEND MORE TIME within the SOUND (PLAY -the CYMBAL FOR some TIME at the STORE**I know that I spend Alot of TIME FEELING within the SOUNDS
    (TONES ) BUT within your OWN unique Creative ARTISTIC (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) you will FIND deep within your ARTISTIC MIND THE RIGHT SOUNDS (TONES) (BRIGHTNESS) or EVEN the DARK BUT EVER so SHARP OBSCURE SHINE within the DARK TONE CYMBALS **GRACIAS I hope you find what your LOOKING FOR **WHAT EVER WORKS FOR the creative artistic DRUMMER ARTIST IS ALL GREAT within their Own unique JOURNEYS **

User Info Menu

I agree that you should take it back if you can, but also check to see how tight you have the cymbal on there between the felt pieces, if its too loose you will almost always get that, try tightening the fabric around the cymbal.

User Info Menu

Well I took mine back to return it and I found out that as a cymbal the sweet ride is kinda weird. While it is a ride it is better used for crashing. They showed me some other sweet rides which had the same overtone. So rather then switch it I am using my old ZBT for a ride because it has a nice ping you just cant crash on it at all. And I am using a the 21' sweet ride as a crash. Its massively loud and just looks cool something that big being used as a crash.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Socaldrums View Post
    Well I took mine back to return it and I found out that as a cymbal the sweet ride is kinda weird. While it is a ride it is better used for crashing. They showed me some other sweet rides which had the same overtone. So rather then switch it I am using my old ZBT for a ride because it has a nice ping you just cant crash on it at all. And I am using a the 21' sweet ride as a crash. Its massively loud and just looks cool something that big being used as a crash.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS SOCALDRUMS *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS GREAT & REALLY what ever WORKS for
    the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER is ALL GREAT within their
    own unique Creative ARTISTIC (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) Mi amigo GRACIAS