Thread: zildjian k high definition hats and ride.

User Info Menu

Default zildjian k high definition hats and ride.

i have a problem finding the perfect cymbols because i like them to be dark, warm, rich, dry, soft, crisp, and washy all at once. i figgured i would eventualy have to get some clout with the zildjain or paiste company to help me out, but i no longer have to well at least for high hats and a ride.
    i look for a crisp chick in a hat, with a dark dry washy defined stick sound, the k high definition hats deliver all that and then some, there vary crisp in there chick and have a crisp dry defininton with just enugh wash. these hats will blend perfectly with allmost any softer music, i dont think they would work well with rock requireing cutting cymbals but i dont play that alot so they work for me.
    as for the ride its dry and realy washy, it can deliver that perfect jazz rideing sound, it mixes perfectly with all the basses ive gotten to play with so far (been useing it at my school, with a nice standup bass, a yamaha fretless bass, and a fender.) it mixes perfectly with piano, its my ideal ride, but it may be way to dark for most modern stuff.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Default Re: zildjian k high definition hats and ride.

For the hats, if you were looking into Paiste, I could suggest the new Sig Reflector Heavy Full hats. They meet the criteria you've described, but cost a pretty penny. Then again, the sound you're looking for is professional so you can't expect much less.
    Paiste 2002 rides are also very compatible with modern amplified music as well as most of their Signature line like the Dark Metal, Full, and Heavy Dry rides.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    For the hats, if you were looking into Paiste, I could suggest the new Sig Reflector Heavy Full hats. They meet the criteria you've described, but cost a pretty penny. Then again, the sound you're looking for is professional so you can't expect much less.
    Paiste 2002 rides are also very compatible with modern amplified music as well as most of their Signature line like the Dark Metal, Full, and Heavy Dry rides.
    when i was looking into strictly paiste i loved there sig reflector dry ride, but the high definition is just as nice and a few hundred cheeper so ive decided no brand loyaltys untill they give me free stuff.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

K CUSTOM HYBRIDS!!!

User Info Menu

Oh my bad, dude. When I replied to this the first time, I didn't read the review part, I thought you were looking for a purchase rather than telling about yours. They sound great though! Hope you enjoy.

User Info Menu

Oh my bad, dude. When I replied to this the first time, I didn't read the review part, I thought you were looking for a purchase rather than telling about yours. They sound great though! Hope you enjoy.
    no worrys bro i actualy talked a friend into ordering the sig reflector hevey hats so i could try them because of that, well see how they play monday.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    K CUSTOM HYBRIDS!!!

No offense Lesizmor but I own the Hybrids and they aren't "dark, warm, rich, dry, soft, crisp, and washy all at once."

They are not as dry and don't have as forceful of a "Chick" sound as the original poster is looking for.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    no worrys bro i actualy talked a friend into ordering the sig reflector hevey hats so i could try them because of that, well see how they play monday.
    Great, I'd like to get a perspective of how they sound live as well so I look forward to hearing from you. Had you tried out the Paiste Sig Crystal Hats yet?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    No offense Lesizmor but I own the Hybrids and they aren't "dark, warm, rich, dry, soft, crisp, and washy all at once."

They are not as dry and don't have as forceful of a "Chick" sound as the original poster is looking for.
    My 13.25's are....(IMO)

User Info Menu

My 13.25's are....(IMO)
    How are they dark / bright wise? I think they are a bit bright but then again I'm comparing them to K customs, Paiste Sig. Reflectors, etc.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

try some K customs

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    How are they dark / bright wise? I think they are a bit bright but then again I'm comparing them to K customs, Paiste Sig. Reflectors, etc.
    I think that the K custom Hybrids offer kinda nice mix of medium darkness and shimmer. They are absolutely the best sounding set of hats I have ever owned!
    They sound great played open,( awesome darkish wash) closed (great sticking) and all points between! Im not saying that one K series is 'better' than the other, I'm just saying that, for what I'm playing, they are the ticket!
    I am dr0olinG over A set of 14" K custom session hats!
    May be selling the 18" K custom session ride to facilitate that purchase!
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 06-15-2008 at 07:03 PM.

User Info Menu

I think that the K custom Hybrids offer kinda nice mix of medium darkness and shimmer. They are absolutely the best sounding set of hats I have ever owned!
    They sound great played open,( awesome darkish wash) closed (great sticking) and all points between! Im not saying that one K series is 'better' than the other, I'm just saying that, for what I'm playing, they are the ticket!
    I am dr0olinG over A set of 14" K custom session hats!
    May be selling the 18" K custom session ride to facilitate that purchase!

Glad to hear that they work for you. I like them very much and am playing them currently. I've had lots of experience with many different sets of top end hi hats and don't consider these dark. Neither does the Zildjian company considering they offer a "dark" series currently as well. I'm very interested in the Zildjian K Custom Dark 13" Hi Hats myself.

not listing these to brag..just to show you what I compare the hybrids to regularly. you say they are dark...compared to what else that you have owned? you say the hybrids are the best you've owned so if you are comparing them to lower end hi hats I could understand how the hybrids would seem darker / fuller to you.

My 7 presently owned and actively played Hi Hat Sets:

Zildjian A Custom Master Sound 14" hi hats
    Zildjian K Custom 14" hi hats (1980's)
    Zildjian K Custom 13" hi hats (1980's)
    Zildjian K Custom 13" top and Z Custom Dyno Beat 13" Bottom (1980's)
    Zildjian K Custom 13 1/4" Hybrid hi hats (new model)
    Paiste Signature 14" Sound Edge Med - Thin hi hats
    Paiste Signature 14" Heavy hi hats
    Last edited by koopa; 06-16-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Paiste Signatures

User Info Menu

Great, I'd like to get a perspective of how they sound live as well so I look forward to hearing from you. Had you tried out the Paiste Sig Crystal Hats yet?
    the crystals are sick but i found them to be to quiet for the versitality id like.