Thread: Drum phonetics?

ClayShannon Guest

Default Drum phonetics?

What are the phonetics for the various drum voices? I know that Boom = Kick/Bass,
    Bap = Snare, but what are the sounds for the rest?

Chick = Hi-Hat?
    Bark = Hi-Hat Open?

? = Ride Cymbal
    ? = Crash Cymbal
    ? = Splash Cymbal
    ? = China Cymbal
    ? = Rack Tom 1
    ? = Rack Tom 2
    ? = Hi-Hat Closed w. Foot
    ? = Floor Tom

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum phonetics?

This varies from musician to musician but "dat" is often snare drum, "ding" is the ride cymbal, toms are "doon", crash cymbal or splash usually something like "pcshhhh" and Hi hats usually "chit-chit". Open hi-hats usually an abbreviated or cut-off crash sound like, "pschht".

Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

What is the purpose of this? I mean, what does a drummer do with these "phonetics"?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

LW... it's not something you have to learn. It's just a synopsis of the phoenetics a lot of musicians already use. Think of the way jazz scat singers use terms like "boo bop di diddy diddy be bop bop". Although some may use similar phrases for the shorts and longs, it will vary from one person to another.

Frank can tell you all about this as you learn this when studying big band drumming. The way you set up big band phrases and fills is related to the length of the notes. Those notes are described with phoenetics.

User Info Menu

I have no idea. Unless it's for trying to recognising different sounds. Which is pretty self explanatory :|
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

ClayShannon Guest

Ethel:

Did you ever wake up with them bullfrogs on your mind?

Ribbit; ribbit

Which reminds me: the other day I was at a pond/marsh and playing my harmonica. The frogs were already croaking when I started, but they ever loved or hated the music, or wanted to join in on the fun, or wanted to warn their friends a big bad human was near.\

I had to sit there laughin', laughin' just to keep from cryin'.

User Info Menu

Frank can tell you all about this as you learn this when studying big band drumming. The way you set up big band phrases and fills is related to the length of the notes. Those notes are described with phoenetics.

"Skiddle - De - Boop ...Da - Dah" Typical drum fill ending to a lot of big band charts. Gotta love them phonetics! Actually, we do use phonetics quite a bit when playing the drums....probably even more so by those playing hand drums. I love listening to a pro verbalize as he plays the congas... How 'bout it Bongo Bro or Bongo John, give us a lesson.

User Info Menu

So true Frank. I forgot about the hand percussion guys. In fact, not only is hand drumming heavily Latin influenced but so much of the approach to hand drumming rhythms comes from the Indian culture... ala "ta ka di mi, ta ka da" etc. stemming from the Tabla drums. I learned this in school many years ago but have forgotten most of it.

User Info Menu

it would be helpful for those mouth percussionists - the Beat Boxers!

boom tsh dat boom boom drum chicker chicker ding
    datta datta dubba dubba dubba dubba craaaash
    drummer drummer boom boom b-boom b-oom

its always sounded really weird to me but beat boxing is impressive, especially when they sing a vocal at the same time and give the impression that they have 4 voice boxes. the modern day ventriliquists!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

i love this one
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDQIlJPqyng
    watch the end
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

ive got two sticks and two feet!
    and they can do all that with their vocals..

yeah exactly like that !!!

User Info Menu

What the hell is the deal with all the numbers and letters as well? You knowlike 1,E,A,&,U 2,E,A,&,U 3,E,A,&,U ect. What I am supposed to be doing mathematical formula with the drums.
    Begin the day with a friendly voice, a companion unobtrusive. - Rush

User Info Menu

east side mario's...budda boom...budda bing! LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by silverdragonsound View Post
    What the hell is the deal with all the numbers and letters as well? You knowlike 1,E,A,&,U 2,E,A,&,U 3,E,A,&,U ect. What I am supposed to be doing mathematical formula with the drums.
    Uhhhhhhhhh.....

User Info Menu

Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

As a hand drummer, I use phonetics a LOT for learning new patterns. Each different style of world music seems to have some sort of phonetic to it. There are many variations on these, but some common examples:

Doumbek (middle eastern): dun = bass, tek = right hand tone, ka = left hand tone
    Balidi: Dun-Dun-tekkaTek-Dun-tekkaTek-tekka

djembe (african): Pa= right hand slap, Da = left hand slap, Go=right hand tone, Do=left hand tone, Gun=right hand Base, Dun = left hand base

One of the things I have had drummed into me (no pun intended!) is that "if you can say it, you can play it".
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb