User Info Menu

Default tama superstar hyperdrives!

anyone have any opinions on these kits. im thinking bout getting one

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: tama superstar hyperdrives!

They are very nice nice sound & very solid I like the dark nickel hoops

User Info Menu

I dont have the Hyperdrives I have the Superstar Customs and I love my kit. Very punchy with a nice bottom end and warmth! The hardware is killer as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I dont have the Hyperdrives I have the Superstar Customs and I love my kit. Very punchy with a nice bottom end and warmth! The hardware is killer as well.
    Hey a disco in your basement, so it is you that keeps the beGes alive. lol

User Info Menu

I played a back line kit last year for New Years in Missouri exactly like your kit same finish and all except a 5 piece. It was a very nice sounding kit and I was impressed over all with it.

User Info Menu

wat do u guys think about the pearl visoin 6pc rock set (maple)

User Info Menu

i'm owned by these hyper sizes.

i tried a B/B in hyper sizes....i keep an eye open for a used set, hard to find but i'll get a complete set very soon, trust me.

immediate response,cut, very focused punch and attack(depending of the tom heads). exactly what ii'm looking in a set.

i love attacky sounding drums, more than deep warmth, hypersizes are exactly for me, rolls never sound mushy ,and never lack cut with these sizes, not talking about the tuning wich i feel is more easy with them.

User Info Menu

Great kits. i own it in brushed metallic black 10 12 14 16. Let me tell you... this kit is fantastic, true value for money. The hardware is heavy duty and very sexy in antique black i think they call it. It has great punchy in your face toms, that are warm sounding plus a thunderous bassdrum. I do find i have to use moongels otherwise these puppys just wanna keep singing, but thats no biggie. I use ec2 clear heads on the toms and a SKII on the batter, very happy, two thumbs up Tama

User Info Menu

+1 to Kiwi. Great set. Unbelievably solid hardware! Very high quality drums.

Although I thought the EC2's deadened them too much. When my son needs new heads (his kit) I might try the new EC2's and see how they do.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Nice kit man! Wow!

User Info Menu

Thank you guys.

User Info Menu

i don't understand the concept behind the hyperdrives. they use short toms to cut sustain, but the floor toms, bass, and snare are still fairly deep for those types of drums. why only cut sustain on rack toms?
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Actually Russ that's not the case. The my son's FT's are 14x12 and 16x14, which are shallow since most FT's are square. The snare is 5.5x14, but that makes sense because you'd get an entirely different sound if they included a piccolo. The kick is 18x22, but you wouldn't want a kick much shallower, and this one does sound great.

FYI Tama just changed the Superstars to all birch for 2010. Don't know if they are available yet.
    Last edited by kaosotis; 01-21-2010 at 10:21 PM.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

FYI Tama just changed the Superstars to all birch for 2010. Don't know if they are available yet.[/B]
    whoa!!!!!!!!! tempting .....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Actually Russ that's not the case. The my son's FT's are 14x12 and 16x14, which are shallow since most FT's are square. The snare is 5.5x14, but that makes sense because you'd get an entirely different sound if they included a piccolo. The kick is 18x22, but you wouldn't want a kick much shallower, and this one does sound great.

FYI Tama just changed the Superstars to all birch for 2010. Don't know if they are available yet.
    OMG! That's annoying....if only I had waited a couple more months!

But anyways, I agree with what's been said, they are definitely a fantastic set of drums. I don't have the hyperdrive sizes but I'm sure those would sound just as great as mine.

Matt

User Info Menu

dude, your drums look sweet .... maybe the best looking imo

User Info Menu

one of the basic kits has a 13x6 snare, 22x20 bass, 10x6.5, 12x7 and 16x14. i think it is a mix of a few different concepts, giving to toms less sustain, the snare a higher tone, and the bass drum a lot... bassier all together, though, it sounds great.
    the other kits however come with a 14x5.5 snare, and and 22x18 bass drum. but the same tom sizes.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex

User Info Menu

also, a big difference in the hyperdrives to the regular superstar is that the hyperdrives have stand-mounted toms. the regular superstar's toms are mounted from the bass drum.
    Last edited by almostmatt1; 08-10-2010 at 09:14 PM.
    Sonor - Pearl - Tama - Mapex - Paiste - Sabian - Roc N Soc - Pro Mark - Gibralter - Evans - Dixon - Mapex