Thread: Hi-Hat Notation and Tonality/replacement recommendation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    ClayShannon Guest

Default Hi-Hat Notation and Tonality/replacement recommendation

I am relatively new to drums and have a basic question about notation:

When it says for the Hi-Hat to be played open, does this mean open from the git-go, or start closed, and then open it ("bark" or "pschht") right after striking it?

And does "half-open" Hi-Hat mean played loosely (barely stepping on the Hi-Hat pedal) or open it after hitting it, but for less distance/time than a fully opened Hi-Hat?

BTW, the Hi-Hat I have sounds horrendously bad - the tone is that of a trash can lid, especially when played closed. It also often has a wheezy whine to it, aggravating in the extreme. Any recommendations/suggestions on a moderately-priced replacement? And should I just replace the Hi-Hat cymbals, or the whole shebang (stand and all)?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi-Hat Notation and Tonality/replacement recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by ClayShannon View Post
    I am relatively new to drums and have a basic question about notation:

When it says for the Hi-Hat to be played open, does this mean open from the git-go, or start closed, and then open it ("bark" or "pschht") right after striking it?

And does "half-open" Hi-Hat mean played loosely (barely stepping on the Hi-Hat pedal) or open it after hitting it, but for less distance/time than a fully opened Hi-Hat?

BTW, the Hi-Hat I have sounds horrendously bad - the tone is that of a trash can lid, especially when played closed. It also often has a wheezy whine to it, aggravating in the extreme. Any recommendations/suggestions on a moderately-priced replacement? And should I just replace the Hi-Hat cymbals, or the whole shebang (stand and all)?

Hello Clay and Welcome to the Drum Forum!! You ask a good question. Generally, when it says play Open on the hi-hat, that is usually on a specific beat for the open sound at that precise moment. Playing half-open means to play the hats slightly loose as opposed to a tightly closed hi-hat. With regards to your question copncerning the terrible sound of your hi-hats...there is no simple answer other than to replace them. However, that means you know what it is you're going to replace them with. If not, then you need to do some research. The best place to start is to listen to those bands you like and drummers that you like. Listen to their equipment. you can then approach someone at GC or some other music store with drums and ask about what you have listened to. I can appreciate the "Moderately priced" condition you have. Ebay and Craig's List are good alternatives if you don't mind buying without listening, although it can be a gamble. Don't forget that, as you narrow your search, you can come hear and post specific questions. We have many, many drummers who can be of more help to you at that time.
    For myself, I am primarily and Big Band drummer and have been playing for 48 years. I know precisely what it is I would look for in my cymbals. I also know that good quality and reputation for same will not come cheap. That does not mean you have to go broke, rather, it should caution you not to simply buy something because of a low price. I hope this is of some help to you.

ClayShannon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

Generally, when it says play Open on the hi-hat, that is usually on a specific beat for the open sound at that precise moment.
    Thanks for your answer; I'm still confused, though, about whether "Open" means "just smack it with your foot off the pedal" (resultingn in a "CLANG" sound) or "smack it and then lift your foot up" (resulting in a "ZISCHT" sound); I think it's the latter (ZISCHT), but I want to be sure. And if it IS the latter, is there ever any time that a drummer simply raps an already open Hi-Hat (CLANG), and if so, how is it notated?

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    With regards to your question copncerning the terrible sound of your hi-hats...there is no simple answer other than to replace them.
    Yes, that's what I'm planning on (still awaiting my stimulus check); I did that already with my ride cymbal, as it sounded just as terrible as my Hi-Hat and was driving me batty (I replaced it with a Zildjian A series, and it is much better now).

User Info Menu

Open Hat means to strike the cymbal while the hi-hat is opened, this is oftened followed by a closed Hi hat cymbal, you can experiment with when you open and close the Hi-hat to get different sounds, it's basically a judgement call by the drummer as to what sound they want, for a particular beat. It is hard to find a decent set of Hats moderately priced, because you are buying a pair of cymbals. If there is a local drum shop go there and listen to a wife variety of cymbals, and pick the sound that most appeals to you.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

ClayShannon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Open Hat means to strike the cymbal while the hi-hat is opened,
    Thanks; so what is the notation for opening the Hi-Hat immediately after you strike it (to get that "ZISCHT" sound)? If I open it BEFORE I hit it, the sound is "CLANG!" or 'BONK" or so.