Thread: Ready to stop drumming

User Info Menu

Default Ready to stop drumming

Ok, this is my first post and it's going to be a weird one but here goes...

After 42 years of drumming semi professionally, I'm seriously thinking about packing it all in. "Why?" you may ask.

I've found one thing that is true about drumming -- unless you play a drum in some form of shamanistic ritual or drum circle, you must rely on other musicians to accompany you.

With the exception of playing full time for a two-year period after graduating college, I've spent my life doing "day gigs" that enabled me to "struggle for the legal tender" (that is, get married, buy a car, a house, raise kids, and take the family to the Jersey Shore for one week every summer for the past 24 years), while playing along to LPs, tapes and CDs of mostly rock, pop, r&b, blues, oldies, dance, and jazz artists. I became quite good at accompaniment and I can honestly say that I've played with most of the greatest musicians of the late 20th century, often using the phrase (often using the phrase "...from Elvis Presley to Elvis Costello", to advertise my stylistic repertoire).

Over the years, I've played many a weekend in numerous groups but have frequently been disappointed with the level of musicianship I encountered (not that I think I'm God's gift to Drumming).

As I got older, I came to the realization that, with relatively few exceptions, the vast majority of the really good "players" were either barely scratching out a living playing full time, or had given up playing their instrument somewhere along the journey, thereby leaving legions of "musician wannabe's" as cannon fodder for club owners everywhere.

Soon I will be retiring from my day gig. I'd like to pursue playing much more often (perhaps as a second career) but after searching high and low, I continue to be frustrated with having to suffer through gigging with "wannabe's".

If any of the senior drummers out there have any advice to lend before I sell (my drum sets for less than half what they're worth) and burn my sticks for warmth in the winter months, I'm all ears.

And for all you less-experienced drummers, perhaps this will serve as a "heads-up". If you want to make Music your life, forget about leading a normal life and toughen up: there's a lot of dues to be paid on the long road that lies ahead. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by panpeeker
    And for all you less-experienced drummers, perhaps this will serve as a "heads-up". If you want to make Music your life, forget about leading a normal life and toughen up: there's a lot of dues to be paid on the long road that lies ahead. Good luck.
    True. On the other hand, drive by a construction site in August, when it's 110 F and watch the roofers for a few minutes. The worst day playing is better than most other jobs on a good day (IMO).

User Info Menu

not a senoir member but i have some advice...stick with it.
    playing drums is a lifestlye as well as a habit...like smokeing its hard as crud to kick it too ...after my first year of playing i thought about droping drums and playing bass instead ...i couldnt stop playing drums not for the life of me. you'll find it hard to quit and even if you do take the final set and sell every-thing then some time down the road your gunna relize you lost a great part of your self.

its not my desicsion to make but ask your self "after 42 two frikin' years am i gunna call it quits just cause i cant find anyone to jam with?!" i wouldnt ...i couldnt say yes to that. but i dunno im just a kid if ya couldnt tell by my wonderful typeing skills...heh later
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Unhappy Ready to stop drumming

I want to put a (?) after "Ready to stop drumming" because I don't really think you are. You don't play drums for 42 years without having at least a few good memories. And I'm sure you do have some good memories of playin' drums all this time!

It's frustrating to get a steady gig--and I dropped my AFM membership after four years of paying my (union) dues and getting nothing for it but one freakin' gig--but after having a brief pity party about it, I realized I did (and am still doing) something I wanted to do for years. If the opportunity ever arises that I get a steady paying gig, cool...but if I do nothing more than bang bongos and congas with my friends in our church's guitar group (which I have done for four years, which is a longer gig than I have ever had as a "semi-professional" drummer), that's cool, too.

You know better than I there are always going to be ego freaks, "musicians" with meager talents who style and profile their way to be something they're not, and sleazy dudes and dolls who use every trick in the book to have it their way or the highway...but buddy, there ain't no greener grass. (Truth is, a lot of it is so much bovine excrement...'nuff said.)

And I agree--you can only do so much with a five-piece set or three congas and a pair of bongos--but I've learned that I don't have to be in the spotlight to play my best...and frankly, I do my best work as part of a group. A little painful? Yep... but despite the cliche, those who can, can teach the "wannabes" some things it takes only a lifetime to learn.

Don't burn the sticks yet, my friend!...hang in there and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey bongobro, Thanks for the good words. I just wish I could still find people to play along with. Playing drums in the garage vs playing music to people who love the beat is a little like masturbating vs making love. But, I'll hang in til my hands and feet can no longer take me to another place.

User Info Menu

Yeah, you're right. Thanks and sorry for the ranting. Manic depression is a frustrating mess and I get like this at times. I just have to keep intoning that great chant I heard once:
    The soul of the earth is the beating of the drum. The sould of the drum is the beating of my heart.
    (anonymous)

User Info Menu

nah man..dont worry about it...It seems in your circumstances it would be very hard to keep at it professionaly..but stick with it just to mess around...Its something to do to get you through the hard times
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Default Prog maybe.

im not sure if your gonna listen to me because im a bit new but heres my advise sir!

if you are sick to death of playing with "wannabes" while you are sitting at the back of the stage behind a wall of toms doing the hard work while the rest of the band is out posing, if you are getting bored of playing drums the same old way, if you are constantly frustrated with the fact that most people want to hear more than just drums........why don't you use your 42 years of experience to give people something they did'nt even know drums could do! Invent a new way of playing drums?write some lyrics? sing?im not sure what this new drum experience maybe (if i did i might be rich and famous now?!) and you might not even like prog but you may tap onto something? who know use your imagination. I can name 3 bands here in Ireland that have a percussionist/drummer as their leadmember!!!

just remember that the time when you start going against the grain and making stuff interesting for yourself thats the time when people will start to take notice.on the other hand if you arent enjoying playing.......

User Info Menu

Hi PanPeeker and welcome to the group. I would just try harder to find the right musicians for you. In my experience through the years, I believe musicians often just give up too easy. It is a BIG world out there, even in our own small towns it sometimes amazes me how many people live here that I never rub elbows with. I'm a firm believer in giving it literally 100%. Just as there is a right mate for everyone out there, there is a right band for every musician. Once you've found that band (or formed one), you'll be very happy that you made the extra effort.

For a few tips on finding gigs, or that right band, check out this page --> http://store.drumbum.com/drums/how%2...get%20gigs.htm

Thanks for being a part of our DRUM CHAT family!

User Info Menu

I saw a documentary on Neil Pert where he was talking about his time in England before he joined Rush. He had gone over there to find his place in music but got disillutioned with the scene there. As we all know, he didn't quit. He went back to Canada and found Geddy & Alex. Lucky for us.

User Info Menu

I think I saw that vid too...not sure...if its what im thinking of it was very interesting
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Ready to stop drumming

Hey, panpeeker, you just gave ME some motivation with that quote about "the soul of the earth is the beating of the drum." That's why I'm more a hand drummer than a set player...but no matter how you play them, that's still a cool statement.

And I know what you're goin' through...you aren't the only one who has those up-and-down periods, man...just hang in there and

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Smile ready to stop playing

hello and welcome to the group of guys and gals that love drumming. the only thing I can tell you is that you have to do what makes you happy. that means
    remmbering why you started playing in the frist place,it's all about putting
    something together that sounds good and makes others feel good when theyhear it and if you can make a few bucks along the way then all the better. I retired for about 15 years for all the wrong resonds wife,job,family,low paying gigs. but the love was still there it took the lose of
    my brother to respark that fire, one of his last request was to hear me and my other brother along with some others play a early xmas party for him it was the last thing I could do for him it brought our family closer together.it help me to see why I started playing in the first place.please forgive my poor spelling it's hard to see the key through the tears thanks

User Info Menu

Phillip, Thank you for your heartfelt response. I've decided to keep the drums in the hopes I find someone to play with.

User Info Menu

Default joke

....and panpeeker......there will be the small matter of our.....ahem....consultation fee!.........only kidding keep the faith

User Info Menu

Even if you think you want to, don't quit entirely. Try giving drum lessons in your spare time. Play for a chuch band. There's plenty of things you can do without comepletly quitting.

User Info Menu

Can't say I blame you...

Playing with talent less than yours is a huge pain.

Heck I am only in high school! You've put in multiples of the work that I have, and even I agree on this.

My bands at school (concert band, marching band, jazz band) are all so aggravating becase people refuse to play or get better outside of the band.

I am quitting jazz because people can't keep up. Not be ****y but I feel like a whale in a fish tank and if I stretch myself out everything will explode.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up are you happy?

Hi. When my working Detroit band left for Fla, (i had kids in school), I quit playing for 3 yrs (having playing pro for 20+ yrs). I was burned out and disappointed with the available musicianship. When I was ready (you'll know), I shopped around (after woodshedding, it'll come back) and am now happy to step behind my drums. Maybe just take a break till the joy of making music comes back. Good luck, Gretschdrummer

User Info Menu

I think if your a true drummer, you will not quit. I remember when I wanted to drum but couldn't because my parental figure wouldn't buy me a drum set because it was too expensive. Now I have an 8 piece drum set and every time I look at it, I almost start to cry because I'm that passionate about drumming. Oh and I'm not gay.

I think drumming is just a big part of who I am. If I'm not drumming, I'm always thinking about it and all kinds of beats I could think of to play later.

User Info Menu

Cool Ready to stop drumming (NOT!)

Hey, panpeeker, as you can see I've edited the title to your thread!

Glad to see you've decided to keep drumming.

gretschdrummer, I think you nailed it when you said "When I was ready (you'll know)"...because we all go through dry periods where we feel like we can't do (deleted)...but when we come out of them, we come back playin' better than ever.

Post Figure--if you're thinkin' about drumming all the time, the only thing I would say is: you're happily normal and you're in the right place, bro'!
    Last edited by bongobro; 11-23-2006 at 11:32 PM.

Charlie

User Info Menu

Maybe all you need is a break. I'm currently in the process of cleaning my kit and cymbals after a nearly 2 year hiatus from gigs and other musicians...I was in a Metallica tribute band for 5 years previously, and i tell you, it got to be very tedious after a while..drumming is my hobby, not my job, so the weekends of travelling 4 hours to a gig and then home, then to work on Monday, it got to be a bit much. Don't get me wrong...I love drumming, I love to play (even just jamming in the basement by myself)..but maybe step back, take a deep breath, and leave it alone for a bit. It worked wonders for me..I'm jamming with some guys next weekend...will be my first time playing with other musicians in almost 2 years, like I said...and i havent been this excited about playing in a long time. I feel like I'm getting that "first gig" feeling again...so, the hiatus actually helped me a lot. Something to consider.........keep the faith, bro.