Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attack Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Default Attack Drum Heads

Just replace my Evans G2's on the 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 toms on my S-Class with Attack 2 ply medium clears. Whew, these heads are AWESOME. Solid sound. The 16 sounds like a cannon. The 12 holds a nice tone with no overtones and the 8 can be pitched up or down within it's range with no ringing. I highly recommend these heads!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Default Re: Attack Drum Heads

Quote Originally Posted by Stix518 View Post
    Just replace my Evans G2's on the 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16 toms on my S-Class with Attack 2 ply medium clears. Whew, these heads are AWESOME. Solid sound. The 16 sounds like a cannon. The 12 holds a nice tone with no overtones and the 8 can be pitched up or down within it's range with no ringing. I highly recommend these heads!

Stix
    HOLA COMO ESTAS STIX*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS VERY COOL *AND GREAT INFO (KNOWLEDGE ) GRACIAS I am thinking about CHANGEING HEADS MY SELF**and
    WILL HAVE to check them out WITH A FINE TUNED FEEL**

User Info Menu

i've heard of attack heads, but never actually heard them. Im using remo right now.

User Info Menu

Thanks Stix! I really appreciate you taking to time to tell us about them!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Stix
    Stix, if you don't mind, give us a more detailed review after you've played them a bit more. I'm not familiar with the Attack heads and from what you're describing, they sound awesome! Thanks, bro'...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Hey BB & PB! Sorry I've been away so long! I hadn't heard of these before but a "friend" (actually the guy I bought my recent set from) suggested them to me after he mounted them on his SQ2's. He was having a tough time finding a head that didn't "ring" and moderated the overtones. He tried Pinstripes, Black Dots, Ambassadors, Coateds and Clears. Just wasn't feeling the love from his very, very expensive (and extensive - 6 or 7 toms, double bass) new Sonors. Another Sonor Geek who runs a drumshop down in Florida (and who is a dealer for Attack) suggested the clear 2-plys to limit the amount of overtones and follow-on ring that he said was prevalent on his set. He got a full set and voila, the guy with the SQ2's was in drummers heaven. Wrote a rave review on the other site and when I asked him via email, he said it was the best set of heads he's ever heard AND it solved all of his problems with the tonality of his set. So for grins I ordered a set for mine. Same deal - set sounds incredible.

They're a bit weird looking wherein the center of the head is slightly raised - kinda like somebody blew air under the black dot on a Black Dot but the sound is incredible. Nice solid tone with no ring. I will say however that, from other reviews on truly vintage sets, if you are going for that "vintage" sound or a jazz sound, these heads probably are not for you. These are for a solid rock sound and/or heavy hitters. Hope that helps!

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats

User Info Menu

Hey BB & PB! Sorry I've been away so long! I hadn't heard of these before but a "friend" (actually the guy I bought my recent set from) suggested them to me after he mounted them on his SQ2's. He was having a tough time finding a head that didn't "ring" and moderated the overtones. He tried Pinstripes, Black Dots, Ambassadors, Coateds and Clears. Just wasn't feeling the love from his very, very expensive (and extensive - 6 or 7 toms, double bass) new Sonors. Another Sonor Geek who runs a drumshop down in Florida (and who is a dealer for Attack) suggested the clear 2-plys to limit the amount of overtones and follow-on ring that he said was prevalent on his set. He got a full set and voila, the guy with the SQ2's was in drummers heaven. Wrote a rave review on the other site and when I asked him via email, he said it was the best set of heads he's ever heard AND it solved all of his problems with the tonality of his set. So for grins I ordered a set for mine. Same deal - set sounds incredible.

They're a bit weird looking wherein the center of the head is slightly raised - kinda like somebody blew air under the black dot on a Black Dot but the sound is incredible. Nice solid tone with no ring. I will say however that, from other reviews on truly vintage sets, if you are going for that "vintage" sound or a jazz sound, these heads probably are not for you. These are for a solid rock sound and/or heavy hitters. Hope that helps!

Stix
    HOLA COMO ESTAS STIX*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) GRACIAS FOR THE INFO (KNOWLEDGE ) VERY COOL **

User Info Menu

Thanks for the heads up. What reso heads are you using Stix518?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

cool info...never heard of these...im an evans guy, however, all i`ve tried is various remo and evans skins...always open to new ideas!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

@ Livewire: the resos on the entire kit are factory original Sonor Thins. On the snares, I have an Evans Genera G2 Coated on the 5X14 Sonor D-454 Chrome and an Evans Genera G1 Coated on the 5X14 S-Class although he shipped me an Attack Single Ply Coated to try out.

@Crazy: Me too! I've always been a big fan of the G2's, matter of fact, still have the EMAD II for my bass batter and see my response to Livewire re: my snare batters! In my opinion, these are MUCH better than Evans for toms.

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

@ Livewire: the resos on the entire kit are factory original Sonor Thins. On the snares, I have an Evans Genera G2 Coated on the 5X14 Sonor D-454 Chrome and an Evans Genera G1 Coated on the 5X14 S-Class although he shipped me an Attack Single Ply Coated to try out.

@Crazy: Me too! I've always been a big fan of the G2's, matter of fact, still have the EMAD II for my bass batter and see my response to Livewire re: my snare batters! In my opinion, these are MUCH better than Evans for toms.

Stix
    HOLA COMO ESTAS STIX*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) GRACIAS FOR the FACTS (INFO-KNOWLEDGE)I am THINKING ABOUT
    A CHANGE within My ARTISTRY WITHIN THE DIFFERENT SOUNDS TONES TEXTURES OF THE EVANS ON my TWO(2) SNARES ONE OF MY 6/2"X14 MAPEX BLACK PANTHER BRONZE & My MAPEX MAPLE BLACK PANTHER
    61/2"X14 SO YOUR KNOWLEDGE HAS given me SOME COOL IDEAS **GRACIAS
    Mi amigo AS I AM A VERY EXTREMMMMXXX OUT of THE (BOX) DRUMMER *
    ARTIST (CAT) GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Thanks for the review, i have attack heads on all my drums except my bass and mini timbale, i think attack heads are pretty good, and i got like a prepack with heads for all my drums, and the price was really good, just overall a good head!
    MY drum kit so far:
    pdp ez series drums(14" snare, 12, 13,and 16" toms. 22" bass)
    pdp 10" mini timbale
    Zildjian zbt 18" crash/ride, 10" splash
    paiste 201 bronze 14" hi-hats, 16" crash, 20" ride
    sabian aax 16" ozone crash
    pearl primaro cowbell.

I love my kit!!!!!

User Info Menu

I've got an Attack Head on one of my 150th Anniversary Noble and Cooley Snare Drums (on the maple one) and have really enjoyed it. One negative I read about on the net is that the Attack Heads don't last as long as the Evans.
    5 Piece Pearl Reference Kit w/ Noble n Cooley Snare

6 Piece Pearl MMX Master Custom Maple
    Natural Maple Lacquer Finish

Various Zildjian K and A customs
    Paiste Signatures
    Paiste Sound Formula Reflectors

IL DUCE Guest

Thanks for the review. I had always wondered about those heads.

Larrysperf Guest

They are ok but wear really fast

User Info Menu

Well, it's been about six months and the Attacks were getting a bit long in the tooth. Went back to a set of G2's all the way around (toms) and I gotta tell ya, the drums seem, I don't know, more melodic? with the G2's. The 14" & 16" really have a booming (in a good way) sound and the tonality is, not so much better than the Attacks, but different - also in a good way. I'm kinda liking the way the G2's are sounding right now vs. the Attacks! I know that sounds weird given my rave review above but it's hard to explain. I like them both but differently if that makes any sense!

Stix

Sonor S-Class -Ash

14X5 D454 Chrome Snare

User Info Menu

As was previously mentioned, since I have a vintage set, I probably wouldn't like the Attack drum heads. I've learned, trial and error, that Remo heads have a better fit for shells with reinforcement rings.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Greetings All,
    I have not posted on any drumchats in a few years, this one seems respectful and responsible compared to some petty ones like the Evans one was years ago... As well as some others that I care not to go into.
    I'll set info and avatars later.
    I have been using Attack heads since 2000 and really dig them The prices have gone up, but so has every other petrochemical derived items have as well.
    I use Attack medium-thin clear on toms and coated on snare with great results. Fat, beefy and performance all over the head. Regular 1 ply reso's on toms, Ambassadors, 300 Hazy or Aquarian on snare side. I don't prefer them on most snares as resos however, on some snares they are perfect. Let your ears decide.
    The heads have a "soft" collar and need more careful attention during seating, if you get a Bozzio pre-pack he explains it well. I prefer Aquarium Hi- Energy on a lot of my snares (I own about 60+) and a mixture of Evans and Remos' on the rest. My Yamaha Beech Customs (GC Anniversary kit in Metallic Red 40 made) have had a set on them for 2 years. My son uses it and although they are well used, they sound amazing to the point that he refuses to change them. I used to change heads every 6 months but find it costly and wasteful.
    Seating is paramount on drums as is finding a well made head. Most just grab a head and run with it before careful inspection in manufacturing flaws, which are aggravating and time wasting. All manufacturers crank out bad head, it's up to you to make sure it is "straight" before purchase. Aquarian seems very stringent on QC but do not fit well on many drums as the flesh hoop is large and will contact the drum itself and mar the finish, that's why I prefer undersized drums.
    The only bad thing I find about Attack heads is when they go... they go...dead, dead, deadski (Beetlegeuse), hehe. Remo, Evans and Aquarian let you know when it's giving up the ghost.
    Attack 2ply med-thin are fat and have great attack and really make a round sounding drum sing while making my Beech Customs sound miraculous, emphasizing superb attack, prescense and low end. I would say Beech Customs are highly comparable to bubinga without hocking a limb or kidney. On My SCM's (also a GC Anniversary Edition 40 made)they also bring the best out of them. Punchy, round, fat, full and warm...MMMM good! Both studio prime movers.
    Only caveat is finding them at drumshops in anything other than pre-packs. Mars used to sell them till they went under. However, I scoffed as many as I could and still have a decent stock of them. Now, the important stuff...
    If you drum is not straight the soft collar amplifies the problem.
    The best test in finding a straight drum without measuring tape is finding a good Remo head (stressing straight and perfectly made) and spinning it on the bearing edges, if it binds, it ain't straight. I have been in many a drum store (at one time 3 GC's, 4 Brook Mays including their Pro Shop and 2 Mars within 20 miles) and have seen MANY brand new kits with horrible bearing edges, delaminating shells etc. I got a 50th Anniversay Premier Genista in Gibson Gold Top Gold that had all the above. After waiting 6 mos for a eplacement NOT in GTG I opened the boxes in front of the GC manager and evey drum was jacked in one way or another!! You should be picky when it comes to big dough that you're dropping!! Don't EVER assume because it's new... it's perfect, far from it, lemons abound. That's when I grabbed the SCM's and bolted...
    I had some Brook Mays stores close in the area and bought Evans MXT's as well as a large mixture of heads CHEEP. These are made for marching tenors and are crimped, just like the Attack heads, they sound fabulous too. Crimped heads feel more responsive to me and seem to make the drums sound more open and controllable.
    I found some old school Slingerland cleardot pinstripes for $3 apiece at Lonestar percussion as well as some other types. Killer floor tom heads as well as wicked on snares too. Since I have 3 sets (Sonor Jungle) i have time to let the heads seat. I find the longer you seat and tune/set a head without playing it, the better it sounds as it conforms to the bearing edge. But hat is a luxury, when I had my 75 Rogers kit for 20 years I used to use a blow dryer around the edges to GENTLY warm the head and mold to the head to the bearing edges. Just a few (3-4) rotations on the bearing edges and voila! Seated. Beeswax is a must on your bearing edges and is cheap and easy to find. I am not big on Attack bass drum heads, too boxy. I prefer EMADS with Aquarian Regulator Reso, nice combo.
    So, Attack heads are a great bargain, mic/ recording friendly (studio techs I have worked with love 'em), deliver on sound and durability also, I have pals that like the 2 ply medium coated and clear on toms. One pal is an Attack endorser (who turned me on to them) and uses them on his Recording Customs and they sound sublime. Coated being warmer/darker somewhat.
    Ultimately your ears must decide, so experimentation is paramount to obtain the sound you dig and defines YOU. What sounds great on one drum may be worlds apart on another.
    Hope this helps to anyone interested.

Peace to you,
    StanBam

User Info Menu

Good info!

User Info Menu

Great review!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I replaced my bass drum head with an Attack head because I kicked through my last one with the pedal. (it was nearing 10 years of age) The Attack Head has two layers of material, and it give my bass drum a wonderful sound, and I doubt I will be kicking through that head very soon.

User Info Menu

I really must try some Attack 'heads soon...

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by therocker View Post
    I really must try some Attack 'heads soon...
    Is that your plan of attack lol
    I just couldnt let that one go Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Stix

i was suspicious about how little they cost, but its good to hear some hands on experiences with them are good

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    Is that your plan of attack lol
    I just couldnt let that one go Nuff Said
    Ludwig Accent CS Custom- Black with Chrome Hardware
    22 x 18 Bass Drum with Evans EMAD batter and EMAD reso
    6 x 14 Snare with Evans Genera HD Dry batter over Hazy 300
    12 x 9 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    13 x 10 Tom Remo Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 16 Floor Tom Pinstripe over Remo Clear Ambassador
    16 x 18 ^