Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vintage items v. modern items.

User Info Menu

Default vintage items v. modern items.

i know many of you (frank, destroyer, stickswd, sticks, the plowman) play on vintage items, be it drums, snares, cymbals, ect. i personaly play with a vintage ride (1973 paiste demension ride) and a set of vintage hats (k costom master sound prototype late 70s early 80s) both of these are older than me. and sound better than everything ive ever compared them to (side by side anyway.) what vintage items do you love on your kits?
    and are vintage items better than modern items? (costoms included)
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Default Re: vintage items v. modern items.

Hey DDavie!

I have a two cymbals, circa 1965 that I absolutely love. One is a Zildjian 21" ride and the other is a Zilco (Zildjian's seconds back in the day) 21" crash ride. My set(s) are all older, the S-Class's (2) are both first generation, manufactured around 1997-1998. My Royce dates way back to the late 60's - early 70's and frankly, is trashed and needs a real good refurbishment (if I ever get around to it). But my most cherished (and awesome sounding) piece of equipment would be my D-454 snare. It was manufactured sometime in the mid-70's as part of the Sonor Champion line. It has a crack/snap to it that I have yet to find in any other snare.

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Vintage cast cymbals in good condition are always sought after. They improve with age. You might want to double check what kind of Paiste you have. The Dimension line I believe came out in the late 90's or something like that. Maybe you have a Formula 602, which are real collector items or a 2002. Probably the only thing modern that is a lot better is hardware. Not that the old hardware wasn't functional, but the stuff now is way better. Enjoy that Paiste.
    Last edited by jrock; 06-08-2008 at 12:37 AM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    i know many of you (frank, destroyer, stickswd, sticks, the plowman) play on vintage items, be it drums, snares, cymbals, ect. i personaly play with a vintage ride (1973 paiste demension ride) and a set of vintage hats (k costom master sound prototype late 70s early 80s) both of these are older than me. and sound better than everything ive ever compared them to (side by side anyway.) what vintage items do you love on your kits?
    and are vintage items better than modern items? (costoms included)
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMERDAVIE*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) I must say that you have (EXQUISITE-FINE-TASTE)
    AS I still USE My 1964 LUDWIGS RINGO CLASSICS (ONLY -WHEN THE ARTIST THAT HIRED ME EXPRESS AND ONLY when they EXPRESS that they WHAT THAT AMAZING SOUND *TONES)AND THAT IS ONLY FOR STUDIO GIGS *BUT I Do-Not USE THEM any more for OVER seas OR ANY ROAD WORK Any-more (THEY-are SOME WHAT RETIRED ) BUT I still use some of My ZILJIANS *AND sometimes I love useing BOTH BASS DRUMS so I still use My LUDWIG SPEED KINGS VERY SMOOTH FAST ACTION *AND My SUPER SENSITIVE-SNARE)
    BUT I am Now USEING MY MAPEX SATURNS WHICH ARE VERY RED HOT (CANS)(TRAPS)(SKINS) (TAMBORES) *GRACIAS **I LOVE MY OLD LUDWIGS *AMAZING (TAMBORES)(DRUMS) as they have BEEN EXTREMMMMMXX LOYAL
    within MAKEING ME A LIVEING ALL MY LIFE **AS THE JOUENEYS KEEP BLOWING My ARTISTIC OPEN CREATIVE MIND***GRACIAS

User Info Menu

This is an older pearl dbl pedal I picked up awhile back. It's sure not modern, and assume it would be considered vintage But, It's smooth as silk. I haven't fooled with alot of pearl equipment...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    This is an older pearl dbl pedal I picked up awhile back. It's sure not modern, and assume it would be considered vintage But, It's smooth as silk. I haven't fooled with alot of pearl equipment...
    HOLA COMO ESTAS *DRUMRBYCHOICE* CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) VERY COOL LOVE IT***AS PEARL MAKES SOME VERY HOT PEDALS * I use now IRON COBRAS DOUBLES POWER GLIDE & ROLLING GLIDE AND I use PEARL DOUBLE ELIMINATORS BOTH ARE )ROJO -CALIENTE -RED HOT PEDALS **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Sticks-
    Yes sir, I believe my next move will be to gather up the eliminators. I have the tamas and I know this is going to come of odd... I actually like these older pearl pedals better than my tamas..? Just me but, They're real smooth, clunky old things-But super smooth.
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drumrbychoice View Post
    Sticks-
    Yes sir, I believe my next move will be to gather up the eliminators. I have the tamas and I know this is going to come of odd... I actually like these older pearl pedals better than my tamas..? Just me but, They're real smooth, clunky old things-But super smooth.
    nice bro.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jrock View Post
    Vintage cast cymbals in good condition are always sought after. They improve with age. You might want to double check what kind of Paiste you have. The Dimension line I believe came out in the late 90's or something like that. Maybe you have a Formula 602, which are real collector items or a 2002. Probably the only thing modern that is a lot better is hardware. Not that the old hardware wasn't functional, but the stuff now is way better. Enjoy that Paiste.
    hey thanks for the heads up bro its a formula 602 demshion prototype. or at least thats what the serial number serch revield. acording to my serch about 50 were made. holy crap ive got a priceless cymbol that only cost me $100 sweet action.

ThePloughman Guest

The 60s three ply and five ply Rogers would give any custom shop, or Masterworks, or anything else a good run for their money. They are tremendously resonant drums, with a wonderful balance between attack and resonance. The 70s drums only slighly less so. And the XP8 Rogers........ they could stand toe to toe with anyones custom. I love their colors, their sound, and their hardware. Theres a lot of modern hardware that is far better than the vintage stuff. And when it comes to playing vintage, a person has to keep vintage hardware within the scope of its performance arc. Rogers swivomatic stands will not hold up under thrash metal. Neither will Swivo hardwar on the drums.
    I choose to play vintage. I do own a set of Ayotte Custom Drums....... and theres nothing finer built or available from any manufacturer. But I choose the vintage. And the Rogers, and the Ayotte........... are very comperable in sound, feel, and for their respective times, quality.

User Info Menu

I love all of my old Zildjian, Zilco and Paiste cymbals, really sad that a lot of them are considered "vintage" and I am the original owner

I have a 22" Zildjian ride I got used when I was 20, that was a long time ago. It sounds fantastic.

I do also know that there are many great new cymbals out there but there is something special about great older cymbals.

I also have some old "vintage" snares and I love them as well. But again there are so many great new ones out there.

As for drum kits. I have some vintage stuff and I love them but I also love my DW kits.

I think it all boils down to personal preference. I will say that the quality if mid level kits today is better then a lot of pro level kits of past years. I remember when the simple fact that a kit had a painted finish added $1000.00 to the price. Now they make $300.00 entry level kits with amazing finishes.
    Modern production processes enabled manufactures to churn out all maple or birch kits that sell for what a awful Japanese junk kit used to cost 25 years ago.

So to answer you question....

It depends on what you like, I happen to love it all.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

hey thanks for the heads up bro its a formula 602 demshion prototype. or at least thats what the serial number serch revield. acording to my serch about 50 were made. holy crap ive got a priceless cymbol that only cost me $100 sweet action.
    Only fifty made? Wow. Ever find out what it's worth?

User Info Menu

My kit is vintage, from the late 70's I believe. When it comes to drums, I enjoy the more modernized sets with specially designed bearing edges and longer lasting components. I guess I feel the same way about cymbals. I'm all over Paiste's New Signature and Reflector lines because of the incredible amplified sounds and "modern" shimmer that at least I can't find in vintage cymbals. I do really like my '81 Sound Formula Full Ride though.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Only fifty made? Wow. Ever find out what it's worth?
    if i did i would probably be tricked into selling it, so no cuz i love it to much.

User Info Menu

if i did i would probably be tricked into selling it, so no cuz i love it to much.
    Sentimental value. Cool. Enjoy it.

User Info Menu

I purchased my current drumset, Ludwig Classics, in 1964. It never occured to me that I should buy something newer. I've been told by many of the local drummers that "Newer" is better, if for no other reason than technology. I don't know about that. Truth is, I wouldn't know what to do with another set as I am not likely to get rid of the one I have. I had asked about trading it in, several years ago, towards a set of Yamaha's. The dealer told me that I could probably get more money if I sold it myself. So, I decided to keep it. over the years, I've learned about drum heads and cymbals and hardware. I've made the necessary improvements in those areas. The only negative I could say about my drumset would be the small tom-tom mount. Ludwig's mounting system was not very good back then. I could never tighten it enough to hold the drum upright. Before I had the set for a complete year, I had the mount removed and replaced with the Roger's Swiv-O-Matic system. It's still holds today. So, as for this debate of Vintage vs. Modern, I really don't have much to contribute. I play what I am told is a "Vintage" drumset only because I never got rid of it. I truly don't see any reason why I should. The drums sound full and responsive. The red sparkle wrap is in terrific condition and shines like the day I first saw them. I polish the drums every month and my cymbals once or twice a years. The chrome is always polished. I like the looks of them as well as the sound. Perhaps the greatest motivation for hanging on to them came from another drum store dealer. He told me that he would rather have my set than any one of the DW kits he has on display. His reason was that the DW's have not aged for over 40 years as mine have and, because of that, they will never sound like mine. So, for that alone, I would have to side with those in the "Vintage" camp. But, you know what, there are an awful lot of great drumsets available today and I don't think you can go wrong with any one of them.

User Info Menu

my vintage gear...16" & 18" avedis med. thin crashes that i think are from the 70s, a luddy supraphonic from the 70s, aswell as an acrolite from the same era. i guess my kit is getting vintage. its from 89-92. the aging maple is getting better every year.

User Info Menu

What exactly constitutes vintage? I got my Gretsch's in 1983 (new).

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've got a vintage Premier kit as well as some other old old old stuff: 20" Zildjian Ping Ride, and a Ludwig SpeedKing and matching hi-hat stand.
    The drums flat own own every other kit I've played them next too. I absolutely love the ride, but I haven't put it up next to a new one. I love the SpeedKing too. It's a great pedal and I wish I had another one.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    What exactly constitutes vintage? I got my Gretsch's in 1983 (new).

all the best...

From what I've read, Vintage drums are pre-1980.

User Info Menu

I got formula 602 hats , serial# 632016,
    where do you find info re the age and value? I have had em for 20 years at least. also got an old 2002 ride . they are priceless to me so i not really bothered what they are worth though. Its the stuff you didnt keep that really smarts though, I have frittered/given/ traded away an old speed king pedal and a real old 16 aveids crash,and a hofner guitar[ with burns flight trisonic pickups !!!!! dohhhhh. but I also had stolen a vox ac30 original tube amp from the 60's, was my dads too!! Live and learn kiddies , todays toys are tomorrows treasures.

ThePloughman Guest

Rogers 84 and down qualify as vintage. They are no longer made, were the absolute best available at the time, and are just now coming into their own for respect and value. I wouldnt trade for mine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I got formula 602 hats , serial# 632016,
    where do you find info re the age and value?
    the guys at back beats drum shop looked it up for me when i came in with it looking for a set of hats to match it. havent found them yet but i have hope.

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS JROCK *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) THATS A FACT EXCELLENT *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Rogers 84 and down qualify as vintage. They are no longer made, were the absolute best available at the time, and are just now coming into their own for respect and value. I wouldnt trade for mine.
    HOLA COMO ESTASTHE PLOUGHMAN*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) FORSURE *as they are SO MUCH A-PART of YOUR ARTISTIC CREATIVE PASSIONATE ARTISTRY * MI AMIGO FANTASTIC *LOVE IT**GRACIAS I feel the SAME ABOUT ALL & EVERY DRUM & EVERY CYMBAL & ALL MY PERCUSSION INSTRUMENTS AND ALLMY INSTRUMENTS **THEY ARE My ANCIENT SPIRITUAL PASSINATE SOUL & MIND &BODY within THIS VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM **GRACIAS