Thread: hihat

User Info Menu

Default hihat

im currently using ZBT hihats, though im consdiering getting A customs hats, k customs dark hats, HHX stage hats, AAX metal hats, AAX stage hats. the cymballs store probably won't have all of those. might only have one or 2. which one do you think is the best and why.

User Info Menu

Default Re: hihat

AAX stage are beastly. i love them. very versatile

User Info Menu

They said A Custom isn't suitable for hard-hitter.....
    A Zildjian would be a great choice.....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    They said A Custom isn't suitable for hard-hitter.....
    A Zildjian would be a great choice.....
    actually thinner cymbals are better for hard hitters. you should cheack out derek roddy's website.

User Info Menu

hi there...i have the 14 in. zildjian avedis new beat hihats...i hit these suckers hard playing more contemporary music, really really nice sounds....love them...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I'm a hard hitter myself
    Thats why i bought my z customs

But i use the set of A Custom MasterSound hats
    and they take the beating just as good or better than
    my Z crashes do

But obviously you don't have to beat the crap out of your
    hats to get the sound you need, i have mine barely open alomst
    all the time (because i want the projection) and they do fine
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I can't compare mine to the others as I've never used any others, but I have 14" K custom darks and I just love 'em . The tone is not as bright (guess that's why they're called 'dark') as others that I've hit in the stores and I just dig that sound. Matter of fact, I like the whole K custom dark line. I love the splashy sound when they're loose, too!!!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Best hats for rock I think are the Zildjian A quick beats. Very loud hats that cut through rock music quite well. They sound really good partially open and sloshy.

User Info Menu

Well im going to assume your a heavy metal drummer, i dont know where i got the idea =P

But, That means you need something thats loud, bright, and needs to project, I would probably look into the A custom projection hats instead of regular, Z custom hats are not bad, but they tend to be brittle, and seem to break faster then anything else, Well, crashes do at least, i dont know about hats

Stage hats, I wonder if that means they project, aka, your playing on stage, probably good for gigs, so they wouldnt be bad hats, but HHX tend to be darker, If its your style, thats not a bad choice, but chances are you need loud, bright and projecting hats

Look into the AA Metal-X hats, those things are monsters, Or the new APX series, I have not heard anything bad about them yet, nothing good either of course though =P Havnt heard anything on the new APX's

User Info Menu

I'm only guessing here but I would think for metal you would want a brighter cymbal that Ks which are more on the dark side, we have Zildian New beats at church and I would try those. They can be loud, but have a really nice defined click sound, good stick definition. Not being a metal drummer, or even a regular listener of metal music, I may be all wet.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I have played the APX and i don't like them at all
    I think that they are junk
    I liked the ozone crash though lol that was cool to play

but other than that, IMO i would stay away from the APX's
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

I love my A Customs, have been playing them for 10 yrs or so.
    I play a mixture of hard rock, not necessarily all metal, but our guitarists and bassist are at least as loud as the average metal players and my hats cut through the mix very nicely.
    Oh yeah, I'm a pretty heavy hitter and bash the hi-hats wide open quite a bit; they have never sustained any damage at all!!!

User Info Menu

I have a set of 14" ZBT's and I hate them. They sound like I'm just hitting a chunk of metal. I also have a set of 14" Zildjian Scimtars they sound great. Nice sound but, I can't quite get them to "sizzle" the way that I think it should sound. But that could be because of my inexperiance (only been playing 2 months). It may also be that I have them on the cable remote hat stand. I put them on a regular stand and seemed to have a little more control over the opening and closing. Just my $.02