Thread: Drum Heads

User Info Menu

Default Drum Heads

Since I live in an apartment i have to have mutes on 24/7. Do I still need to change the drum heads/Resonant heads once in a while?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Heads

you can buy pearl mesh practice heads they are cheap,quite and still have tone
    E Drums !! !

There are no loud instruments just loud players !

Protect Your Hearing !!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Since I live in an apartment i have to have mutes on 24/7. Do I still need to change the drum heads/Resonant heads once in a while?
    No. The heads themselves are not getting played on. No harm is being done to them. You'd have to hit pretty darn hard to even get them to stretch. No need to replace the regular drumheads.

User Info Menu

you might need to change them, but the will last much loger

User Info Menu

i'm with drummer. the heads will be fine.

User Info Menu

yeah....heads will be fine.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

if you never hit em then u will neva need to replace em. im sure you will eventually land some gigs though!! then you will be in the same boat as everyone else. that would drive me batty though keeping the mutes on 24/7

User Info Menu

If I was in your shoes I would seriously consider getting a electronic set. Headphones + volume control = Happy neighbors. Although Electronic will never replace the classic sound of a acoustic kit definitely something to look into.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty101 View Post
    If I was in your shoes I would seriously consider getting a electronic set. Headphones + volume control = Happy neighbors. Although Electronic will never replace the classic sound of a acoustic kit definitely something to look into.
    i`d rather play a muted drum set...hehehe...played roland td 10 for 6 years...make me sick....they ruin drummers....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    i`d rather play a muted drum set...hehehe...played roland td 10 for 6 years...make me sick....they ruin drummers....
    I have to ask, in what way does it ruin drummers? and why was your experience negative after six years?

User Info Menu

it ruins drummers because it doesnt teach them dynamics.

electronic drums dont have the dynamics real drums possess....also because of the rubber and mesh heads, you get a synthetic feel which is kind of like playing on ice cream containers...literally....i`ve heard drummers that sound good on electronic kits, which are unimpressive on a real kit...not that the drums are bad...but they have to be played differently....

my total experience wasnt negative... thumbs up for sound control(sound men love them), thumbs up for versatility(huge sound banks-50 different bass drums, 100 + snares etc.) thumbs down for feeling and groove...great practice kit...dont even think about touring with them or playing live....
    Last edited by crazydrummer; 06-10-2008 at 08:34 AM.

User Info Menu

too late, I practice on electronics and i would say my practise time has doubled due to no sound problems [ nagging wife/ neighbours] and enjoyment level of the E kit [on board tunes, recording ability, audio in , and recording aspect]. My current set up live though is acoustic snare, hats and ride, everything else is electronic, smaller venues I go all electronic!!
    I dont find my style and groove has been changed since I ventured into the E world, its only been about 8 months though. I do have to mention I have been playing for years, solely on acoustic's though, I can see where you are coming from re the feel and dynamic aspect for new and beginning players, thing is my first kit was a bill Sanders wood and rubber practise set[ I still have it] and that believe it or not never hindered my tecnique when I moved over the a REAL set of drums . If E kits get kids into playing then I say great. As for Nick 276 would he really suffer practising on an e kit more than he does on the mutes? I dont think so.
    Last edited by ratmycue; 06-10-2008 at 09:09 AM.

User Info Menu

good stuff....keep rockin bro...

User Info Menu

my total experience wasnt negative... thumbs up for sound control(sound men love them), thumbs up for versatility(huge sound banks-50 different bass drums, 100 + snares etc.) thumbs down for feeling and groove...great practice kit...dont even think about touring with them or playing live....

************************************************** *************************

Everyone who ever played Live with an E-kit went in this town went back to playing accoustic kits. Whenever I asked, I was told the same thing...no feeling! Interesting.

User Info Menu

BTW..... I don't own an E-kit, have played on several at GC and think it would great at home as a practice tool. They do have some interesting sound effects and it isn't bad for working out "Grooves" and that sort of thing. I just can't imagine it "Live and on stage" though.