Thread: Double Bass

User Info Menu

Default Double Bass

Hello. I recently upgraded my set, and went from using a double bass pedal, to getting 2 bass drums instead. I can't get the same feel that I guess I was expecting. I have Tama HP200 Iron Cobra Jr. pedals, and they work great, very smooth. I'm constantly adjusting the tension on the pedals, and moving the bass drums around (which then I gotta adjust the rack toms now too). Are there any helpful hints to get my groove back, or am I doomed to keep moving everything til I get my feel back?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Double Bass

Hey and welcome to the forum. Sorry to say this, but I think that you are "doomed" to move the drums around until you get them just right. You just have to find that spot where everything is in the right place so you can play it just right. That sucks doesnt it.

User Info Menu

I agree, it is most likely going to take a little time to adapt to the change too.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Hey and welcome to the forum. Sorry to say this, but I think that you are "doomed" to move the drums around until you get them just right. You just have to find that spot where everything is in the right place so you can play it just right. That sucks doesnt it.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS TURTLINATOR*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) AND ITS great Meeting you *GREAT ADVICE AS IT is A FACT **
    GRACIAS **

User Info Menu

Double bass, if used correct, may be cool.
    "If I dont practice for one day, my brother can tell. If I dont practice for two days, the audience can tell. We cant all be Buddy Richs'!"[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

User Info Menu

Hey Demolition , welcome to the forum , I cant offer any help cause Im a single bass drummer , but would tend to think youre gonna need to move stuff around till it feels right for you . Good luck .

User Info Menu

Of course, you can always go back to playing double bass pedal. Nah, then what would you do with the 2nd bass drum? Going forward, always remember that any change with your set up will require a period of adjustment on your part. Granted, that's not always easy to do so, you really have to decide if the change you're contemplating is worth the extra effort on your part.

User Info Menu

you can use a double pedal and use the extra bass drum for looks. so you get the look of a double bass, but the feel of a double pedal.
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

It'll take a little time to get used to it. I tried to center everything off the throne and snare. Try to follow the angles from the center of the bass drums to the throne and keep them even, then set the snare on that line. From there I set the middle two rack toms (assuming you have 4, or 2 over each bass) so that I can get the basses as close to each other as possible, keeping them centered. Everything else kinda falls into place from there. On of the benefits of two bass drums is that you can get the kit more centered and symmetric, so just play with it until you're comfortable.

As for the drums themselves... it's damn near impossible to tune them equally. It's the nature of the beast. You also have to take into consideration the difference in your leg strength and coordination. That will make the drums sound a tad different as well.
    The pedals are a bit easier to get equal. I used to have those pedals and they are surprisingly nice. Don't forget that you're used to playing with slave pedal lag on the double pedal, so it'll take some time to correct the timing between your feet and smooth everything out. It's a pain, I know. Just get in as much practice time as you can so your feet can adjust to playing more evenly instead of slightly off to account for the double pedal lag.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    It'll take a little time to get used to it. I tried to center everything off the throne and snare. Try to follow the angles from the center of the bass drums to the throne and keep them even, then set the snare on that line. From there I set the middle two rack toms (assuming you have 4, or 2 over each bass) so that I can get the basses as close to each other as possible, keeping them centered. Everything else kinda falls into place from there. On of the benefits of two bass drums is that you can get the kit more centered and symmetric, so just play with it until you're comfortable.

As for the drums themselves... it's damn near impossible to tune them equally. It's the nature of the beast. You also have to take into consideration the difference in your leg strength and coordination. That will make the drums sound a tad different as well.
    The pedals are a bit easier to get equal. I used to have those pedals and they are surprisingly nice. Don't forget that you're used to playing with slave pedal lag on the double pedal, so it'll take some time to correct the timing between your feet and smooth everything out. It's a pain, I know. Just get in as much practice time as you can so your feet can adjust to playing more evenly instead of slightly off to account for the double pedal lag.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS QUIKSTANG2 *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS EXCELLENT ADVICE & KNOWLEDGE *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

the only advice that I can offer is make sure there is a little tension on the bass drum heads, a lot of drummers tend to tune them too loosely trying to get them to sound as low as possible. By doing that they loose all playability and that might be some of your feel problem and getting the drums to sound like you like them to.

User Info Menu

Thank you everyone for your in-put, I greatly appreciate it. I will take it all in to consideration while getting back in my groove. Thank you all, very much. =)

User Info Menu

i have a dbl. pedal, but iv'e played on a dbl. bass set once. i think the feel is better

User Info Menu

Hello Demolition, i have a double bass pedal and love playing double bass, but i have never tried playing with two bass drums, but im sure that u jsust need to mover everything around til u get used to it...i dk if this would work but u might just wanna set all of ur other equipment to the side and set up ur double bass drums exactly how u want them, and then add everything else peice by peice

User Info Menu

I like the feel of two bass drums better, i just never have enough room for a double kit. Im so used to my double pedal now i dont think ill switch. Good luck on getting it dialed in though.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Double Bass

Quote Originally Posted by Demolition View Post
    Thank you everyone for your in-put, I greatly appreciate it. I will take it all in to consideration while getting back in my groove. Thank you all, very much. =)
    I've never played a double-bass set much less double pedals on a single bass, but the key here is patience. It's gonna take a little time to get used to the extra bass, but once you do, I think you'll be pleased with the results, Demo...

It's like learning to play three or four congas after having played only two...you have to remember to incorporate the others...it took me a while to get used to playin' three, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Even four congas got easier the more I did it...

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I just suddenly feel as though I was born for the double bass setup, setting it up and getting just right the first time I put the kicks on the carpet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    the only advice that I can offer is make sure there is a little tension on the bass drum heads, a lot of drummers tend to tune them too loosely trying to get them to sound as low as possible. By doing that they loose all playability and that might be some of your feel problem and getting the drums to sound like you like them to.
    Tune your reso heads right and you can turn your bass drums into cannons.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    I've never played a double-bass set much less double pedals on a single bass, but the key here is patience. It's gonna take a little time to get used to the extra bass, but once you do, I think you'll be pleased with the results, Demo...

It's like learning to play three or four congas after having played only two...you have to remember to incorporate the others...it took me a while to get used to playin' three, but now I wouldn't have it any other way. Even four congas got easier the more I did it...

Good luck, bro'!
    how did i know you was gonna bring your jungle drums into this Charlie!!....lol.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes