Thread: I'm looking for an LP 35th anniv Quinto

User Info Menu

Default I'm looking for an LP 35th anniv Quinto

Aloha all!

I have the conga, tumba and the bongo's. Don't ask why, but I'm hell bent on finding the quinto...anyone know who/how/where I can find one?

Mahalo!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm looking for an LP 35th anniv Quinto

Hey Te , welcome aboard , I cant help ya , but someone who can will be here shortly .

User Info Menu

Cool Re: I'm looking for an LP 35th anniv Quinto

Quote Originally Posted by Te1985 View Post
    Aloha all!

I have the conga, tumba and the bongo's. Don't ask why, but I'm hell bent on finding the quinto...anyone know who/how/where I can find one?

Mahalo!
    Aloha, Te1985!

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Hey Te , welcome aboard , I cant help ya , but someone who can will be here shortly .
    GF, bro', I hope I wasn't the "someone who can!"

Seriously, I'm one of the resident hand-slammers in DrumChat, and I don't recall seeing too many 35th Anniversary LP drums anywhere...you may have to google "LP 35th Anniversary Quinto" and see what comes up...realize you may pay mucho money to ship it from the mainland...

Good to see another bongo man in DrumChat! Welcome aboard, bro', and Mahalo backatcha!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Bongobro!
    Yeah...I've been googling for that ever since I bought the conga and the tumba. I fell in love with the color-scheme of the set when they first came out, and I wanted them back then but only bought the bongo's at that time.

but it's all good...I'll find the quinto one day!

Mahalo again!

User Info Menu

I know this thread is a little old...but I received some AWESOME info that I wanted to share:

First of all-earlier in the summer I finally found a 35th anniversary quinto on another drum forum, however the owner of it wanted no less than $800.00 for it. He said he received offers of $1000/EA for his 3 drums!! That's THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! I was totally blown away! Needless to say, I didn't do it because that same quinto ran for about $500 brand new when it was available. I know they were a limited edition run, and only so many were made...but $800 was a little steep for a drum that's 10-12 years old! So I thought: awww what the heck, I'll go straight to LP. I emailed LP in June asking about getting a custom quinto in the same color scheme as the 35th anniversary set. I get a response saying "NO" they won't do the sparkle blue because it was a special for that anniversary year ONLY, limited edition, limited production, blah-blah-blah. Okay, it was worth a shot...but now what? So I thought well, maybe I'll get a crazy sparkle color since it's the quinto, and it'll be in the middle of my set-up anyway, so I emailed LP again about other sparkle colors. The guy who responded to me back in June, is the same one who picked up this new email and he tells me: "I'm so glad you emailed us again! I was wrong about the color scheme...we CAN do the sparkle blue, the only thing your drum won't have are the 35th anniversary badges! But we'll put a custom LP badge on there with your name on it or anything you want." Okay...??!!!

The conga gods have smiled on me and have opened the heavenly doors of LP to shine down upon my unworthy head. Thank you, o great and wonderful lord of LP: Mr. Martin Cohen. I am forever grateful for your blessings... *hahaha!*

Aloha from da Big Island!!

User Info Menu

Hey, that was a nice bit of luck!!

User Info Menu

Just goes to show that ...good things come to those who wait...

User Info Menu

Hey, Te1985, glad to hear some great news on an old story...

I agree with Frank big-time on this one...enjoy playin' them all, brada!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Te1985 View Post
    I know this thread is a little old...but I received some AWESOME info that I wanted to share:

First of all-earlier in the summer I finally found a 35th anniversary quinto on another drum forum, however the owner of it wanted no less than $800.00 for it. He said he received offers of $1000/EA for his 3 drums!! That's THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! I was totally blown away! Needless to say, I didn't do it because that same quinto ran for about $500 brand new when it was available. I know they were a limited edition run, and only so many were made...but $800 was a little steep for a drum that's 10-12 years old! So I thought: awww what the heck, I'll go straight to LP. I emailed LP in June asking about getting a custom quinto in the same color scheme as the 35th anniversary set. I get a response saying "NO" they won't do the sparkle blue because it was a special for that anniversary year ONLY, limited edition, limited production, blah-blah-blah. Okay, it was worth a shot...but now what? So I thought well, maybe I'll get a crazy sparkle color since it's the quinto, and it'll be in the middle of my set-up anyway, so I emailed LP again about other sparkle colors. The guy who responded to me back in June, is the same one who picked up this new email and he tells me: "I'm so glad you emailed us again! I was wrong about the color scheme...we CAN do the sparkle blue, the only thing your drum won't have are the 35th anniversary badges! But we'll put a custom LP badge on there with your name on it or anything you want." Okay...??!!!

The conga gods have smiled on me and have opened the heavenly doors of LP to shine down upon my unworthy head. Thank you, o great and wonderful lord of LP: Mr. Martin Cohen. I am forever grateful for your blessings... *hahaha!*

Aloha from da Big Island!!
    Good to hear this! I hope everything has/is working out well regarding this for you.

On a different note if you don't mind:
    I've been reading up a little on Volcano drums - at this link:
    http://www.volcanopercussion.com/index.html

Since you're in Hawaii I thought I ask if you've seen or played these drums? If you have - what do you think?

You can send me an email or PM if you wish.

And, Yes, I know these Volcano drums are very expensive - Tom Alexander sent me a "pricelist". wheeeew - that Premium Koa especially! Nice though.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    Good to hear this! I hope everything has/is working out well regarding this for you.

Since you're in Hawaii I thought I ask if you've seen or played these drums? If you have - what do you think?

And, Yes, I know these Volcano drums are very expensive - Tom Alexander sent me a "pricelist". wheeeew - that Premium Koa especially! Nice though.
    And you can send a CC to my attention, Te! Aloha, brada!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post

KONA,
    That name is real familiar but I'm not sure I know why... hehe! Actually, I live on the big island, and have spoken to Tom. He's a great guy yes?! I've seen and played his drums...they're awesome! I mean AWESOME!!!! Pricey yes, but they're one of a kind and each set is a custom work of art. I was able to play one of the very first sets he put out a few years back, and today I wish I bought them. I believe they were about $800 EACH back then, and I'm talking only a few short 6-8 years ago! Anyway...great drums for sure.

User Info Menu

^^^ good to get some feedback from someone with first hand experience. I've always heard great things, but never played them or known anyone who has. Thanks for the review Te1985

User Info Menu

Hello. Im a newbie over here. I started as a drummer back in the early 90's when I was +/- 7. I've been playing since then as a session musician, studio work and some demo's for Yamaha. I took percussion masterclasses a few years a go as well and I ended up playing a monthly gig in the SupperClub in Amsterdam on percussion.

This is my toy room at the moment, with a shipload Yamaha, LP, Amedia and Balbex stuff:

But why im responding to this threat (I found it when I was looking for info regarding the 35th and 45th anni products) is that there was also a Afuche, a high pitched jam-block (witch I think I own) and a cowbell.

Does anyone ever seen those and do you know what color they came in (if it was black with silver logo then I do have that jam-block)

Im in the market for a 45th series. The first gig I did was with fiberglass Patato's witch I rented from a percussion company here in Amsterdam called Muller. really great shop with tons of percussion stacked all over the place.

Now I play on salsa conga's (early run)

There's one big company (GC like) witch have the last Tumba (not available anymore from LP so the importer says) and Bongo's witch i'm picking up thuesday. Muller is ordering the the Quinto (yes I like the lower end of the Tumba and High pitch and feel of the Quinto) and the Afuche. He's got the cowbell already so that's nice to.

After playing on the Salsa conga's I really digg the wood sound (I was a little afraid that it wasn't loud enough, especially unmiced against a miced band) and since the 45th is 2'' taller, more tone. Can't wait to play with and on them :D

http://1484.bz/annex/list/image/rock...201AX-45/1.jpg

http://1484.bz/annex/list/image/rock...P234A-45/1.jpg

Btw.

There was a 35th anniversary quinto & conga & heavy stand for only 350 can. dol. the last 2 months on Craigs, but it would cost to much to ship them over here :(

User Info Menu

Yesterday I bought the 45th Quinto and Bongo... Although it supposed to be the Tumba :( So they are now checking if they can get one somewhere. I've contacted Bob from Kaman to. So I hope I can get the set complete. It sounds mind blowing good. And I love it over the Patato and Salsa model.

Hope the compact set arrives at the end of next week.

User Info Menu

Can you all help a side line head slapper out..what is a " Quinto"?? just want to broaden my horizons in percussion.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyM View Post
    Can you all help a side line head slapper out..what is a " Quinto"?? just want to broaden my horizons in percussion.
    Quinto is a conga with a smaller diameter head, and therefore a higher note.

Typical sizing of most mass produced congas are as follows:
    Quinto - 11" head
    Conga - 11.75" head
    Tumba - 12.5" head

Requinto - smaller than a quinto... aprox 10" head

User Info Menu

Don't forget the Super Tumba or ''Tumba XXL'' witch measures in the sizes 13'' 13.5'' or 14''

The elder Gon Bops had that size in it's list:

LP's Palladium series; 11" Quinto, 11-3/4" Conga, 12-1/2" Tumba and a 14" Super Tumba
    Last edited by musiqman; 07-14-2010 at 01:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Good discussion, SportEd!

(BTW, MartyM, some "sideline head slappers" become full-time skin slappers, like me... ...glad to see another bongo brother in the gang!)

Some guys play a supertumba, with a head size of 13.5" to 14.0"--although that could be overkill!

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    Good discussion, SportEd!

(BTW, MartyM, some "sideline head slappers" become full-time skin slappers, like me... ...glad to see another bongo brother in the gang!)

Some guys play a supertumba, with a head size of 13.5" to 14.0"--although that could be overkill!
    Thanks Bongobro and sportEd, I only wish I had the nerve to find and participate in a drum circle...most seem elusive here..but I am going to do it soon. I love my Djembe and want when money affords the opportunity to pick up some used Congas..they just sound so good to me.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride