Thread: Remo Controlled Sound Drumheads

User Info Menu

Default Remo Controlled Sound Drumheads

My snares all needed new heads. Typically I get the usual Weatherking Coated Ambassador or Coated Powerstroke 3, depending on the sound I'm after. I read on the back of the box for the head of my resonant snare side head and it said that the Controlled Sound heads that I use on my Roto's were good for snare, giving that 'ideal' snare sound. On roto-toms, they sound great, but on snare, they sound magnificent! I got just the right amount of overtone I get from the Ambassador and the crack I get from the Powerstroke 3.

I have yet to try them out on my toms, but I'm sure they'd sound great. There's my 2 cents on these fine heads.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Controlled Sound

i have a CS on my snare, a very durable head

User Info Menu

tks for the info dudes...might try it out...need a new snare skin....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jd09 View Post

I have yet to try them out on my toms, but I'm sure they'd sound great. There's my 2 cents on these fine heads.
    Personally I don't think I'd like them for toms. My reasoning is this: I don't want to hear a different sound if during a quick fill I'm not very accurate and I strike the head just missing the center dot... it's bad enough a difference without the dot there.

I do agree that the amount of muffling / focus might be just right, but a powerstroke could do the same thing by muffling the outer edge instead. Won't be as durable though..
    Last edited by Roenie; 07-29-2008 at 01:26 PM.

User Info Menu

I am finding out how sloppy my sticking is by using the Controlled Sound snare head!! I am creating a nice valley next to the Dot. The right side of it to be honest. I guess this means I need to draw a small circle on my drum pad and focus on what I am doing! Otherwise, I really like the sound of it. I am ordering another 2 or 3. Until then, I will be watching where my sticks are going. I know...... PRETTY LAME! I guess that is why it's called a PRACTICE PAD!!!

User Info Menu

LOL.......my drum teacher did draw a circle on the practice pad to get us to focus on stick control. He started with a small jar cap and eventually worked it down to where he actually taped a dime on to the pad and we had to play within that size. I kid you not. To this day, when I play on my drumset I can see just how close my sticks to striking in the same spot.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I put a Falam Slam patch on it last night. It's white on the black pad. Hard to miss!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Controlled Sound Drumheads

id probably use the coated version for the batter head of my snare, but for the toms make no mistake these are bombastic. a lot of good drummers used em way back in the day on their vintage kits, so if its good enough for them its good enough for me. plus they look great on red/white/silver/or black kits especially. i originally just got em to become a center hitter, but they did a lot more for the sounds of my kit

User Info Menu

I use these heads and swear by them for durability and tone.. Remo knows how to make great heads! Aquarian HiEnergy is a close second. -Les

User Info Menu

Black Dots! The forgotten great head. They are the perfect head for someone who wants the openness of a single ply but need some more durabilty. They would be Remo's best selling head if the dot was clear IMO

User Info Menu

Remo "CS" Coated snare heads ROCK! The best snare head I have ever heard...The nest closest thing might be the Evans reverse dot...But it doesnt come close...The Remo CS is one fantastic head for snares..I have mine on Steel black Panther 14x5.5 and the crack is ear splitting

User Info Menu

I have a coated CS on my 13" piccolo snare. Just totally LOVE it!!!

User Info Menu

id been using a evans powercenter reverse for many years, so when i just put the coated cs on my snare, i was at first dissapointed. but i think its just a transition to a new sound, something ill have to get used to. but i do love em for the toms.