Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning your cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Cleaning your cymbals

Whats good to use to clean your cymbals? I heard if you use brasso or never-dull or something no tspecifically designed for cymbals it will make them brittle.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cleaning your cymbals

I am not sure but I think that might be true in some cases but for the most part I think that is a rumor started by the people who make cymbal specific cleaners.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I use Zildjian Cymbal polish. It takes a while to clean my cymbals but it gets them shiny.

User Info Menu

i dont clean my cymbals. or rather i never have, the dirt makes them sound better imo
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

brasso works good on low-end cymbals..used it on my starter cymbals...(zildjian zbt)......i got this spray stuff i use on my a custom and avedis cymbals...its called``groove juice``....it works awesome....really good.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Zildjian cymbal polish FTW!!! lol

it is an awesome polish and does an amazing job
    it does take a little bit of work though
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

You just have to be careful what you use because you could wipe away the logo on the cymbal if youre not too careful .

User Info Menu

Most Cymbal polishes, and other metal polishes are abasives, and will remove the logos over time. I have a pair of ZBT Rock Hats that I inherited from my stepfather who used them for marching with a fire department band (he originally was a trumpet player but when he lost his front teeth and had to get dentures couldn't play trumpet anymore). They were in terrible shape from sitting unused in a damp basement, so I got out the Brasso and they cleaned up really nicely, it removed some of the smaller scrathes, the tarnish, fingerprints, and green stuff that had accumulated, but it also removed the logos too. If you want to preserve the logos don't use a metal polish on those areas of the cymbals. I definately wouldn't recommend Brasso on an expensive set of cymbals, because you are polishing away some of the metal when you do it, but I actually think in the case of the ZBT hats it made them sound better.

Some one mentioned Groove juice, how is that at getting fingerprints off of cymbals? I know it is supposed to be none abrasive, just wonder how it works on finger prints, that is the one thing on cymbals that drive me nuts is when I get fingerprints all over them.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

it works great....the thing with groove juice is people dont use it right...lol...get your cymbal wet with a rag...totally soaked...then spray the juice over the whole thing...let it sit 15-20 seconds...then take your wet rag and wipe in a circle around the entire cymbal..then rinse your cymbal off...it works amazing...your cymbal will look brand new....if one coat doesnt do it, repeat the process....letting it sit a bit longer before you rinse it....it wont let you down....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I love my K Zildjians. When I buy new cymbals I always wipe all the black logos right off to give them that old vintage look...and I NEVER clean them. Motown bassist James Jamerson once said he never changed or cleaned his strings because "the dirt keeps the funk"...so I always keep that in mind when it comes to cymbals. Peace out!!

User Info Menu

cleaning your cymbals is important, every single fingerprint, dirt, blood, and whatever else builds up on the bronze causes obstructions in the natural vibrations of the cymbal, and you dont want that. a good studio technician will tell you this.

any kind of cymbal cleaner is probably the best thing, because the cleaners are tested on actual cymbals, so you know you will get what you want without damaging or discoloring the cymbal. while other products like brasso or never-dull might give you unwanted results.

User Info Menu

Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I'd like to add something that I haven't seen suggested yet for cleaning cymbals...good ol' WD-40 seems to work well for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to the forum and I'd like to add something that I haven't seen suggested yet for cleaning cymbals...good ol' WD-40 seems to work well for me.
    Is there anything that stuff can't clean.!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timactionfigures View Post
    That`s intersting. I`ve never heard of that but I see how it would work because it`s a grease remover.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UrFunny767

Drums:
    Pearl Vision Birch
    22x18 Kick
    Pearl Sensitone Steel Snare 14x5.5
    12x9,13x10,16x16 Toms

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Custom 16in Crash
    Sabian XS20 16in Medium Thin Crash
    Zildjian A Armand 10in Splash
    Wuhan 16in China
    Zildjian ZBT 14in Hats (I hate it)
    Zildjian ZBT 20in Ride (I hate it)

Hardware:
    Pearl Eliminator Demon Drive Single Kick Pedal
    Crappy PDP Cymbal Stands

User Info Menu

A can of wd-40 and a roll of duct tape and Mcgyver could make world peace.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zzzdanz View Post
    A can of wd-40 and a roll of duct tape and Mcgyver could make world peace.
    LOL...well I dunno...but I bet he could make any old beater kit sound good and look shiny. But anyway, yeah WD-40 is made for metal, removes corrosion, rust, oil, grease, and leaves a nice shine. If you can deal with the smell of metal shop for a day or two, and provided there's no side effects I'm unaware of (being bronze and all as opposed to rusty car parts) well it really seems to work quite good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    I use Zildjian Cymbal polish. It takes a while to clean my cymbals but it gets them shiny.
    +1 It does take some time but the result is awesome!
    www.fadesaway.com

Matt...
    Fades Away

Forever I am Forgiven, and Forever, I will Rejoice.

User Info Menu

Groove Juice all the way
    www.youtube.com/dannyatcranny

PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY

User Info Menu

Close to a year ago, there was a small article in Modern Drummer about Bosphorus Cymbal Swipes. They sounded good to me as it read, "Super simple to use and totally mess-free. Just pull a cloth through the top of the container, rub away the grit, rinse the cymbal with water and toss the swipe in the trash." I haven't tried this cleaner but I'm interested to know if anyone out there has.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Morello Man View Post
    Close to a year ago, there was a small article in Modern Drummer about Bosphorus Cymbal Swipes. They sounded good to me as it read, "Super simple to use and totally mess-free. Just pull a cloth through the top of the container, rub away the grit, rinse the cymbal with water and toss the swipe in the trash." I haven't tried this cleaner but I'm interested to know if anyone out there has.
    Its Nev R Dull with a different name and a bigger price.

User Info Menu

Ok all, It seems this has been threading for awhile....and now it continues..LOL. i only have to thank all the people here that have offered there opinions...i do value all! as some regular posters know i have been away from drumming for quite some time..i remember the old days cleaning my cymbals with gritty paste to very little result...yesterday i stopped by local music store and picked up some Groove juice..and lo and behold it does work as some have offered...i was surprised at how simple this was..where was this stuff when i was a rockin regularlly?? but once again thanks to all to that helped me decide...
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Brasso is a metal polish which works GREAT on my high end cymbals.
    But as stated by other drummers, you need to be careful around the printed areas as it will remove them. I think Brasso Rocks!!

User Info Menu

Being a lover of the environment...I let my cymbals 'go green'.

User Info Menu

though i agree that some cymbals sound better when dirty.
    i used to use groove juice, but it took all my labels off my starter cymbals (zbt)
    ive used the sabian cymbal polish for a while, but stopped when i found the zildjian cymbal polish

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
    though i agree that some cymbals sound better when dirty.
    i used to use groove juice, but it took all my labels off my starter cymbals (zbt)
    ive used the sabian cymbal polish for a while, but stopped when i found the zildjian cymbal polish

Labels...we don't need no stinking labels!