Thread: Beginner....feel free to throw fruit

User Info Menu

Default Beginner....feel free to throw fruit

eh yeah im kinda taking a bit of a break from guitar and i have started playing around on drums.i've been playing on and off (but not dedicated) for about 3 years. i've got the handle of most standard beats but i always encounter one problem in my fills.... whenever i try any fast tom fills take for example....assassin (muse) (dom howards one of my favourites) 80% of the time i always end up missing the actual toms and hitting the edges! ive been trying to nail these techniques for a while but i can't!

any tips?
    Last edited by mexicancounciloffood; 10-18-2006 at 08:58 AM.

User Info Menu

proper tilt in toms seems like the issue- make sure you have your set fit up so that the drums are going to naturally be hit..for example some people tilt their snares so that when they make a strike its more natural hit---ur arms autmatically go in that position

I hope this makes sense..if not ask me to go in depth with the explanation

Hope this helped!
    Happy drumming!
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Guitarist here also. My son started playing when he was nine, so getting his kit to fit him has been a big issue. I found that getting everything low enough was as important as the angle of the toms.

User Info Menu

if he grows more into playing you could invest on a mini set- i say itll last as long as hes under or up around 5 feet...by then its time for a real set...

just a sugestion

Hope this helped!
    Happy Drumming!

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

I've never seen a mini-kit that wasn't pretty junky. He starated on a Pearl Forum. I had to flip the tom arms and turn the toms at a pretty steep angle to get everything low enough. There was nothing I could do with the hat stand. He had to adapt his playing to it's height. He's on a full size seven piece now. It's pretty low, but nothing's at a freaky angle. I did have to angle the ride a bit to get it close to him without covering the floor tom, and his kick beaters are choked up a bit, but otherwise it's a pretty traditional set-up.

Off topic, but a funny story. He got a Roc & Soc for his birthday a couple of years ago, but he was so light that if he hit the lever it would shoot all the way up and he couldn't get it back down. We had to take it back.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 10-18-2006 at 03:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Mex..just practice the fills slow and work it up to speed gradually. Be sure your tom angles are all even.

User Info Menu

good advice jack

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

Talking Beginner...feel free to throw fruit

Hey, dude...we don't throw fruit...we throw sticks

Only kidding, bro'! Glad to have ya on board!

Seriously, that's why side and floor toms are adjustable. No different than adjusting the seat or steering wheel in your car...what fits you won't necessarily fit me...tilt the heads to where your sticks will hit the heads, and you'll solve the problem.

BTW, if I had a kid who wanted to be a drummer, I'd rather buy a good used set than a new inexpensive "mini-kit." The set can be readjusted as the kid grows...and if he or she doesn't, you'll get more of your money back with the big set than the mini-kit... Like roaddebris, I have never seen a mini-kit that was little more than a toy, and unfortunately, if it looks like a toy, it'll be treated like one.

Again, welcome aboard, man...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool thanks for all the advice lads...yeah i've tried quite alot of different angles! a friend of mine plays with his toms flat(drumheads facing straight up) and yet he can play quite fast fills! i'm now beginning to thing it has something to do with using my arms instead of my wrist....if that makes any sense?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Hey, dude...we don't throw fruit...we throw sticks

dude....IM NEW!! THROW STICKS AT ME!!! -- I need em ^_^

myspace.com/rdsspike345