Thread: Posture question

User Info Menu

Default Posture question

I am have been trying to find the right way to sit behind the set. Should the snare be slightly lower than your thighs, higher, or even when your sitting. I have my waist just a little higher than my knees when im sitting. Also im noticing that my left wrist is really sore lately, im not sure if it is from playing to long at first or if its from rocking to hard on guitar hero. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

Default Re: Posture question

hey mcrib!

this is one of those things that is gonna be different for every guy...it really depends on where you feel comfortable...i wouldnt go any lower than your thighs...neil peart(rush) plays with his snare level with his belly button(according to his dvd)...play where its comfortable, and dont mind the sore wrist....that will go away after a couple months of steady playing....

cheers!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

That sore wrist could definitely be from playing the guitar hero. A lot of guitars hold the guitar wrong and stress the wrist until they figure out the correct position for the fretting hand. Playing drums that way will make it worse.

Don't ignore it. If you think it is GH related, stop for a few weeks and see if the pain lessens. If not, check your technique while drumming. Something is causing the pain and ignoring it will only make matters worse.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

"I am have been trying to find the right way to sit behind the set."

Most of us should have seen this one coming.........Im gonna suggest upright and facing the drums,,,,,,lol.

crazyd hit the nail on the head , its pretty much whats comfortable to you .

I like the top of the snare even with the top of my leg . Too high and your hitting the rim of the snare , too low and its your leg that gets hit , you gotta find that comfy spot in between .

User Info Menu

The guitar hero comment was a joke, I've been playing the guitar for about ten years now. Yea im going to try raising my snare up to be even with the top of my thigh, right now it sits just a little lower. Thanks for the help though, I think I just need to get my muscles used to playing a lot.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

I actually asked the ergonomist here at work about best sitting position for playing double bass. Keeping in mind he knows nothing about drumming, here was the response from a ergomomic/kinesiological point of view:

After doing some research I found out that a posture in which the thighs are slightly downwards and the knee angle is 90-110 would be the best/most efficient. Also, in order to make it easier for you to lift the leg(s), try not to lean forward towards the drum as both the centre of gravity and muscle fibre angles change.
    Not sure if this helps, but it's interesting food for thought. I'm sure there are other factors that come into play, like how tall you are, etc., but it might give you a starting point, as the snare and kit height all start with how high you are sitting.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

What do you guys think about using those stress balls to squeeze and strengthen your wrists ? I know they are good for forearms and what not. Just an idea I had.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcrib06 View Post
    What do you guys think about using those stress balls to squeeze and strengthen your wrists ? I know they are good for forearms and what not. Just an idea I had.
    nah...you wanna strengthen your wrists play double stroke rolls on a pillow for 30 minute stretches....that'll take away your stress too....ehhehe....has anyone else ever smacked your knuckle on the rim by mistake?? fyi...it hurts...(havent done it in about 4 years though)....lol....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

ost of us should have seen Mthis one coming.........Im gonna suggest upright and facing the drums,,,,,,lol.

Thats what Ive been doing wrong!!!

User Info Menu

Sorry to be mean, but:

You have to be careful with any kind of injuries like that. It's easy to say "give it a few months and it will be right", but it could also be a case of "give it a few months and you could do some permanent damage".

My sister-in-law is doing a bachelor of music majoring in piano and she tells me many stories of incredible pianists that have dedicated their lives to the instrument.
    They develop little pains in their hands or what not and think nothing of them, but end up never being able to play the piano again.

I'm not saying you have anything bad, but be careful. If your tecnique is not correct, it may be worth getting some good lessons before you develop bad habbits.

Some people say that when you sit at your drums, your knees should be directly over your heels.
    Also make sure that you can reach everything comfortably.

User Info Menu

You didn't mention whether you play Matched Grip or Traditional Grip. I', a trad. grip drummer and have had some wrist problems over the years. I've noticed that my snare had been sitting a bit to low and that put undue stress on my left hand. I make sure to keep my snare at a point where I have just slightly less than 90 degree angle at the elbow. when i want to play tradintional, I will lower my snare just a bit so I don't jam my wrists as I play. With regards to seat height...it's good to have the knees just a bit lower than your thighs as this reduces stress on the lower back. At least it does for me.

User Info Menu

I play matched. I am a very dominant person with the right side of my body, so I think it might be just a very weak left wrist. Im going to give it a couple of days and see how it feels. Thanks for all the advice though !

User Info Menu

.Im gonna suggest upright and facing the drums,,,,,,lol.

that was funny! coz i didnt see it coming.

Mcrib,
    sticking and posture are the two things that i am working on right now, and i feeel GOOD nanananananana..like i knew i would - about that left wrist
    ... i have seen significant improvement doing double strokes for about one hour a day over a short period. Everytime i felt fatigue and felt some pain, and stopped for a bit of self physio.. then went again.

the problem i was having was that my left hand just didnt want to pick the stick back up again quickly enough, but its doing it now!

STONE KILLERS... i have worked out why they are a killer! great endurance exercise for weak lefties... just hit a pillow.. you are forced to control every movement of the stick. and then when you get back to the drums and start hitting them the rebound starts to assist your technique.. go as fast as you can while keeping it smooth.. and no faster.

i hope you enjoy the rhythm mcrib.

User Info Menu

I am have been trying to find the right way to sit behind the set. Should the snare be slightly lower than your thighs, higher, or even when your sitting. I have my waist just a little higher than my knees when im sitting. Also im noticing that my left wrist is really sore lately, im not sure if it is from playing to long at first or if its from rocking to hard on guitar hero. Any suggestions would be much appreciated, Thanks.
    My suggestion is, the snare drum should be level with your waist, meaning the top rim level with your waist, thrown height sounds like you got your height about right, legs should be just slightly angles down, when playing your kit, you should never have to over reach for anything, elbows should be able to stay close to your side, this prevents exhaustion and promotes a more comfortable playing situation.

As far as your wrist is concerned, try stretching your wrists out before playing, I do this religiously. with your arm straight out, using your other hand, point your hand upward, and with your other hand slowly pull your finger back towards your check until you feel the pull, hold for about 5 sec, then do the opposite, and repeat until you feel loose and ready to go, works wonders for me(sorry if I did not explain this very good).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    ost of us should have seen Mthis one coming.........Im gonna suggest upright and facing the drums,,,,,,lol.

Thats what Ive been doing wrong!!!
    Rat, you kill me!!

I agree with DWdrumr that the classic height for the snare is having the top rim at belt buckle height. Having said that though, I would start there, and then make tiny adjustments both up and down until you find the most comfortable position. You really want to be able to have your arms relaxed and yet still get the rimshot when you want it.

As to the height of the throne, when I started, I had the throne too low for me. Some like to sit low, but I prefer to sit higher, because I've got long legs, and I have more freedom with the throne up higher (I sit in almost the exact position that Bruarm"s ergonomist recommended. I found it quite by accident, but it was where I felt the most relaxed).
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

This may help:

User Info Menu

Hey drumchick, is that a roc-n-soc throne? Those are so comfortable.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Pay attention to your wrists! When I started playing I played a ton, and ended up spraining ligimentns in both hands, I was in a cast on each hand for 3 weeks each, and then wore a brace for 3 weeks afterwards. I didnt play attention until it got so bad I coudnt stand it. Pay attention to them. When I play for more than and hour at a time I check for swelling in my tendons, and if they are, I ice them and take ibprofen. It works great, you just gotta be carfeul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Hey drumchick, is that a roc-n-soc throne? Those are so comfortable.
    Not sure..... Oh, that picture isn't me, I found it on the internet but I do have a roc n soc throne and I love it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    nah...you wanna strengthen your wrists play double stroke rolls on a pillow for 30 minute stretches....that'll take away your stress too....ehhehe....has anyone else ever smacked your knuckle on the rim by mistake?? fyi...it hurts...(havent done it in about 4 years though)....lol....
    In my first band, I would ALWAYS smack my pointer finger knuckle on the floor tom and once I was too involved in playing and i looked down and had blood splattered all over my snare and floor tom skins. bad technique (well yeah) but i didn't care because I felt hardcore lol.

I don't do that anymore though. I do have a scar on my finger to remind me though.

User Info Menu

There ain't no right and wrong. As long as you are comfortable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    hey mcrib!

this is one of those things that is gonna be different for every guy...it really depends on where you feel comfortable...i wouldnt go any lower than your thighs...neil peart(rush) plays with his snare level with his belly button(according to his dvd)...play where its comfortable, and dont mind the sore wrist....that will go away after a couple months of steady playing....

cheers!
    with his belly button? man thats pretty high, ill have to try that sometime!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

This is a good thread and there are a lot of ideas and opinions. I had previously posted my thoughts but I have to tell you that I adjust my throne just about every time I sit behind my drums. Some days I feel more comfortable than other days. As for correct snare drum height, the norm was, when standing to play concert snare, the drum should be belt buckle high. Transfer that to sitting behind the kit and the snare drum would appear to be belly button level. This is not bad posture when playing traditional grip. DC posted her photo and it's correct for matched grip playing but the snare would be to low for traditional grip playing. I used to think that there should be some published rule about proper posture and drum placement. I finally realized that comfort is a relative thing and has to be personalized.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Have you checked out the Alexander Technique?

I know a number of professional orchestral players and every one of them has done this. Basically it is a technique for using your body correctly and it is extremely important when it comes to playing a musical instrument. At the core is a frightening fact. When we think we are using our bodies properly and it feels o.k. in fact we are not and we may be harming ourselves. Not only that but playing ability is considerably diminished.

Look it up on the web or in a library. It will point you in the right direction.

Paul.