Thread: Anyone ever heard of this?

User Info Menu

Default Anyone ever heard of this?

This my be dumb but, I'm new to drumming so get used to it.

My friends dad used to play and he was telling me a story about his most favorite cymbal he ever had. He couldn't remember the brand but, he said he found this cymbal on the side of the road and it was like a 18" crash and it had holes drilled all around the edge with loose rivets in the holes. He said when you hit it, the cymbal would make the sweetest sizzle as the rivets rattled in the holes. I've never seen a cymbal like this. Have any of you guys seen it or maybe have one and a pic?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Anyone ever heard of this?

ive seen them, there old cymbals. but ive seen them
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I had one in the early days of my drumming life. I beleive they were called "Sizzle" cymbals and I am pretty sure were popular in the 60s with Rock bands and also to a lesser degree in jazz cirlces though I am sure someone on here will know for sure

ps I took the rivets out of mine and used it as a ride - it sounded poo!!
    PPs I am pretty sure its still knocking around at my parents house!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I had one in the early days of my drumming life. I beleive they were called "Sizzle" cymbals and I am pretty sure were popular in the 60s with Rock bands and also to a lesser degree in jazz cirlces though I am sure someone on here will know for sure

ps I took the rivets out of mine and used it as a ride - it sounded poo!!
    PPs I am pretty sure its still knocking around at my parents house!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS * DUSTIN *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) AND YOUR RIGHT *THEY still MAKE THEM* ISTANBUL and A
    FEW OTHERS * Very cool *great for well JUST BE cretive within your UNIQUE
    ARTISTRY *GRACIAS

User Info Menu

They were more of a jazz staple, than rock, as the ride cymbal is much more predominant. They sound very cool. Most drummers installed themsevles with rivets and a hand drill.

all the best...

User Info Menu

There are a few ways this is done, some hang a small chain from the stand so it "sizzles"
    Others drill and install rivets. I have seen other concepts on the web from the early jazz days. You can still find rivets for sale on ebay all the time.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Nigel Olsen, Elton John's drummer used a sizzle ride on allot of the originally recorded hits from the 70s, and still incorporates a pieste sizzle ride in the line up today. I have the lamp pull chain model referred to in the previous post in an effort to replicate those sounds for the Elton show band I am in. It does that job reasonably well with out having to drill holes in my ride for rivets.

User Info Menu

I have one and they do sound sweet .

User Info Menu

i was at a sam ash one time and i saw it, i didnt have sticks but i think it sounded like the old chain on the stand. and the ones i see only have 3 or 4 on one end of the cymbal

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

possibly an ozone crash

User Info Menu

They still make sizzle rides, You can send in any ride to sabian and zildjian and get it sizzle-ized too, Im reptty sure you can at least..

User Info Menu

I've seen Ginger Baker using it in the Cream reunion video.

User Info Menu

The sizzle rides were heavily used in the 60s and early 70s hence perhaps why Ginger still uses it in his set up for cream. That and that he is a pretty heavy jazz cat when he is not reuniting with cream. I did read an article where he said he will never do it again. He still cannot stand Jack Bruce!

User Info Menu

I have my Avedjis Zildjian 20" medium ride that I bought at Mannies in NY City in 1964. I had them drill and install 8 sizzles. I no longer use the cymbal but replacing the rivets is easy enough. I do, however, use an Istanbul AGOP 21" Mel Lewis Signature Big band Ride and that came with two factory installed sizzles. It's awesome!!

User Info Menu

I had one like that in 1965.

And I have another now
    I recently (2007) got back into playing a kit. This past September I bought a 1958 Gretsch kit. There was a carboard box of parts, hardware and 4 cymbals. They didn't look like much at the time but one of them is an 18.5" K Zildjian sizzle! What a beauty. I'm looking for rivets right now - so if anyone on here knows where I can get some old-style rivets please let me know.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary

User Info Menu

I do remember these, I never owned one, I would see on occasion missing rivets on alot of cymbals, probably where they got hit alot..they did sound cool, only if you play a ride and then want to muffle fast...the rivets would keep vibrating so if you are going to consider one i would keep it as a effect cymbal not your main ride...my opinion of course.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

They still have these, you can just put little paper-clamps in the holes to get that effect, or tape a coin on your ride.

User Info Menu

Hmmm.... I have never heard of sizzle cymbals. And what is this thing?

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I had one like that in 1965.

And I have another now
    I recently (2007) got back into playing a kit. This past September I bought a 1958 Gretsch kit. There was a carboard box of parts, hardware and 4 cymbals. They didn't look like much at the time but one of them is an 18.5" K Zildjian sizzle! What a beauty. I'm looking for rivets right now - so if anyone on here knows where I can get some old-style rivets please let me know.

Gary
    That cymbal is pissa!!!!!! If it wasn't for the keyhole'n that would fetch some $$$$$.....pissa AKA sweeet!