Thread: Mixed bag of cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Mixed bag of cymbals

Well I now have completed upgrading all of my entry level cymbals to something a little more high end, but for reasons of economy, and looking for bargains that had the sound I wanted, I have quite a mixture of brands, and they actually compliment each other well.

I have an Istanbul Dark Crash that I really think sounds great, and I was going to go with a set of Mel Lewis Hi-hats. I found an on-line percussion retailer out of Calorado who had an advertised sale price on the Mel Lewis 13" hats on sale for an unbelievable price. Well I called them to check on availability, and they said they had to check with their distributor, since they didn't have them in stock. So I stupidly decided to just go ahead and place the order, and for that price I would wait for them. Unfortunately they called me back and said they couldn't honor the price (they couldn't even get close to it!!). I would like to believe that this was just a case of poor web-site management on their part, and not an attempt to bait and switch, but I working with them in the future.

Well I went to a shop where I had originally auditioned the Mel Lewis had, with my Crash, and Ride in hand to pick out the set out of his stock that sounded the best with my existing cymbals. I tried the Mel Lewis Hats and they all sounded good, one set blended in better than the other two he had, but then he suggested I try a set of 13" Zildian Ks that he had. I tried them and they sounded great with my cymbals I already had. He sold them to me for the same price as the Istanbuls.

So to end a long story I've got a base set of proline cymbals that blend well together but no two cymbals (Hi-hats excepted) are from the same manufacturer. I've got a Sabian HH Classic Ride, and Instanbul 16" Dark Crash, and Zildain K Hi-Hats. Anyone else mix and match brands, on thier set, or do most of you try to stay in the same brand and series?
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mixed bag of cymbals

Mix and match for me all the way. Hi-hats are UFIP top 12" top and Zildjian bottom.

K Constantanople ride. Paiste ride cymbal. Assortment of Sabian Zildjian Paiste and UFIP crashes.

I pay no attention to the manufacturers. I play what I like the sound of.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Well I now have completed upgrading all of my entry level cymbals to something a little more high end, but for reasons of economy, and looking for bargains that had the sound I wanted, I have quite a mixture of brands, and they actually compliment each other well.

I have an Istanbul Dark Crash that I really think sounds great, and I was going to go with a set of Mel Lewis Hi-hats. I found an on-line percussion retailer out of Calorado who had an advertised sale price on the Mel Lewis 13" hats on sale for an unbelievable price. Well I called them to check on availability, and they said they had to check with their distributor, since they didn't have them in stock. So I stupidly decided to just go ahead and place the order, and for that price I would wait for them. Unfortunately they called me back and said they couldn't honor the price (they couldn't even get close to it!!). I would like to believe that this was just a case of poor web-site management on their part, and not an attempt to bait and switch, but I working with them in the future.

Well I went to a shop where I had originally auditioned the Mel Lewis had, with my Crash, and Ride in hand to pick out the set out of his stock that sounded the best with my existing cymbals. I tried the Mel Lewis Hats and they all sounded good, one set blended in better than the other two he had, but then he suggested I try a set of 13" Zildian Ks that he had. I tried them and they sounded great with my cymbals I already had. He sold them to me for the same price as the Istanbuls.

So to end a long story I've got a base set of proline cymbals that blend well together but no two cymbals (Hi-hats excepted) are from the same manufacturer. I've got a Sabian HH Classic Ride, and Instanbul 16" Dark Crash, and Zildain K Hi-Hats. Anyone else mix and match brands, on thier set, or do most of you try to stay in the same brand and series?

Did you check out cymbalsonly.com for the Mel Lewis cymbals? Tony has all of them there and you can download the mp3 of each cymbal to listen to. I bought my Istanbuls AGOP's there a few years ago...Mel Lewis 21" big band ride and the 14" hi-hats. These cymbals are beautiful and the price is always 50% off retail. Also, the site is a dealersip for all A and K Zildjian, Sabian, UFIP, Bosphorus and Istanbul Mehmet as well as AGOP. Reunion Blues all Leather stick bags and cymbals bags are available as well. Like you, I tend to use a mix-bag. Paired with the Istanbuls are a K Constantinople 20" ride, 16" K Dark Med. Thin crash, 18" Avedjis Zildjian full crash and 10" Wuhan Splash. I also use a 21" A zildjian Sweet Ride and it is the one cymbal that doesn't really mesh with the Mel's. I'm thinking I might replace that, some day, with a Bosphorus dry ride.

User Info Menu

Mix it up Bro...go with different series and lines...look for that 'perfect' sound you want.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

CD, I'm with you guys all the way. I agree that it's all about the sound. I've still got ZBT hi-hats on my kit, because I haven't yet found the right sounding hats. Other than that I like the sound of A Custom crashes (16" and 18" fast crash), and I pair that sound with a 20" Sabian AAX Studio Ride. I had really thought that I would like the 20" Zildjian A Medium Ride, but it turned out to be much too loud for my living room. LOL I kept the Zildjian ride and stored it for now, and I bought the Sabian ride and put it on the kit, and I love that sound. I rounded out the cymbals with an 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride, an 18" Wuhan China, a 12" Wuhan Splash, and a 12" Agazarian China. All mixed up, and sounding great!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hey PB how is the ride sound on the 18" K crash ride, when I am ready to add another cymbal an 18" Crash ride was the one I was thinking of to do double duty as an alternate ride sound or a crash.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Mixing and matching is the bomb! I have all of the 'big three' and some Wuhan's and they all work well together (at least I think so). I gave up on brand loyalty a long time ago.

14" Zildjian hats (mastersound top, Dyno Beat bottom)
    18" Sabian AAXplosion crash
    18" Sabian AAX Stage crash
    17" Sabian AAXplosion crash
    18" Paiste Alpha china
    21" Sabian HH Power Bell Ride
    13" Sabian HH Fusion hats
    2- 8" Wuhan traditional spalsh
    8" Wuhan S series splash

Plus a few more on the rack. Good thing I work a lot of overtime to pay for this apparent addiction.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    Hey PB how is the ride sound on the 18" K crash ride, when I am ready to add another cymbal an 18" Crash ride was the one I was thinking of to do double duty as an alternate ride sound or a crash.
    CD, I love the sound of the 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride. It's an awesome sounding, slightly dark crash, and it has a mellow ride sound with a nice ringing bell.

GM206, that's a nice lineup of cymbals!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Sounds like you have done well, no worries with your purchases. Play them and enjoy the music you make with them.

IL DUCE Guest

Mix it up bro. I use a collection of zildjian, sabian, paiste, meinl, wuhan and a agazarian. I use what sounds good to me. I love cymbals.

IL DUCE Guest

I'm a mix n match cat. Zildjians, Sabians, Paiste, Meinl, Wuhan and Agazarian. I currently and using 20 cymbals on my kit. I use 2 sets of Hats, I have 4 rides Crashes, splashes and some chinas. I stack my splashes. I still wanna add more cymbals to my set up I still need to get a bell. I have heard the zil bels which are nice but I also was very impressed with the Black Ice bells from stagg. I'd like to retire one of my current rides if not 2 of them and add a bosphorus flat ride. I'm also looking into picking up some smaller crashes 14" or 15" inchers. Contenters for these are UFIP, Zildjian, Sabian meinl or maybe a saluda. I love cymbals