Thread: Supraphonic Owners; Snare throwoff upgrade

User Info Menu

Default Supraphonic Owners; Snare throwoff upgrade

I purchased a Ludwig Supraphonic a couple months ago. Love the drum but hate the cheap P85 that comes on it. Worked fine at frst, but now it sticks unless I push up the unit. I know the P85 is an old standard, but for what those drums cost you would think they would provide better quality, maybe they just don't make them like they used to. I was wondering if there is any manufacturers that make throwoffs that will retrofit this drum. I don't want to modify the drum such as drill holes to fit a new throwoff. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by jrock; 06-15-2008 at 03:33 PM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Default Re: Supraphonic Owners; Snare throwoff upgrade

The holes line up with a few I believe. Measure the holes and look at a few drum builders websites. There is also comapny that builds an adapter for the Trick throwoff to Ludwig.
    We are not allowd to post comercial URLs here, so I can't give you the URL or the post will be deleted.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

What happens is the rivets holding the steel parts of the throwoff collide with the aluminum part that holds the snare wire due to casting overhangs. I remove the aluminum part and grind a groove opposite and lateral to the Ludwig badge, and also put an angle on the back edge that the rivets will slip past. I do this with a dremel tool and a cutoff grinding disc. You can't see these mods when the unit is reinstalled and works great when finished.

Terry Samford
    70 Ludwig Classic Mod Orange-Linda B...
    81 Tama Imperialstar Ruby Red Pearl-Mini Pearl
    84 Tama Imperialstar Xtras Dark Red-The Demon
    Mid 80's Ludwig Supraphonic 5x14 C/Ludalloy
    Late 80's Ludwig SuperSensitive 6.5x14 C/Ludalloy
    04 Fibes Crystalite Smoke 5.5x14
    Gretsch Retro Mahogany 7x13
    early 80's Tama Octobans 4 Low Pitched
    Tama Double Headed Gong Bass Drum
    K Zildjian
    A Zildjian
    Wuhan
    DW-5000 x 2
    Promark 2B
    Roland SPD-S

User Info Menu

The hole spread I believe is 2 7/8" on center. The dunnet, Trick and Nickle throw offs do not offer hole spacing that large but it is really easy to build and adapter so that you don't have to drill new holes. I wish I new how to post pictures on here and I would show you the one I made. I made it out of aluminum strap and polished it like chrome and them clear coated it to maintain its shine. I built it to adapt a Dunnet thorw off. It works beautifully and you would never know it wasn't stock.

User Info Menu

My SupraPhoninc is a 1964 beauty with the P-83 strainer. Still works great!