Thread: Wooden Snare Hoops!!

User Info Menu

Default Wooden Snare Hoops!!

Hey All!

Just wondering if you dudes and dudettes had any thoughts on wooden hoops on snare drums...i have played one and really liked the `crack`it created. Was pondering buying them. They go for about 40 bucks a hoop online..input wanted!
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wooden Snare Hoops!!

I have maple hoops on a maple snare and love the way they sound. they make the drum warmer with a nice crack. but I am really impressed with the consistent cross stick sound that I get from the wood hoops. I would highly recommend them, give them a try.

User Info Menu

Remember; you don't need wood hoops to get a good warm snare sound. And crossticks often depend on the kind of sticks you use. Try different sticks and you'll see what I mean. It also depends on what part of the stick you're hitting the rim with as well as whether or not your palm is on the drum. Not saying you shouldn't buy wooden hoops. Just some thoughts on the matter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Remember; you don't need wood hoops to get a good warm snare sound. And crossticks often depend on the kind of sticks you use. Try different sticks and you'll see what I mean. It also depends on what part of the stick you're hitting the rim with as well as whether or not your palm is on the drum. Not saying you shouldn't buy wooden hoops. Just some thoughts on the matter.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DRUMMER*(TOM) CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) GREAT ADVICE **GRACIAS

User Info Menu

thanks for the info...anyone else.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I've never played one so I can't tell you anything as far as sound goes.
    They do look super nice though.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I wouldnt trust wood hoops, I like rim shots to much

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    You can trust them believe me, I play allot of rimshots and cross sticks, they are very durable!

User Info Menu

i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some! i want some!

but theyre hard to come across here.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    Hey All!

Just wondering if you dudes and dudettes had any thoughts on wooden hoops on snare drums...i have played one and really liked the `crack`it created. Was pondering buying them. They go for about 40 bucks a hoop online..input wanted!
    Just make sure your strainer (throw-off) will clear the hoop.

I have a Gretsch Renown 5.5 inch snare and there are no wood hoops that will fit with the strainer it came with.

I ordered the Gibraltar notched wood hoops and the Dunnett "R Class" wood hoops and I had to take both back. I would have had to change the throw-off to make it fit and I didn't want to fool with my brand new Purewood African Mahogany shell. That's just me.

I don't know about other drum brands though.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Talking Re: Wooden Snare Hoops!!

I just ordered a wooden hoop for my batter side. I will keep you posted on how it changes the sound for me.

User Info Menu

Let us know crazy, I love mine!

User Info Menu

would it look or sound dumb if i get wood hoops for my metal snare ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

My dixieland set has wooden hoops on all the drums. The old fashion kind like little bass hoops. They make the drums very light. Crosstick and rimshots sound great (albeit different) once you get the hang of it. The snare has metal claws on it like a bass drum. If I bring the stick down on the claw it sounds like any metal hoop. So in fact I have two crosstick sounds and can vary them for interesting posibibilties. One other thing....with wood hoops, sticks last almost forever. They would not be for everyone!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I don't think wood hoops were meant to go on a metal snare.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

haha i know jus a question man i wish i didnt sell my old snare to guitar center =[
    im im gonna get the pdp wooden snare eventually from musicians friends
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I don't think wood hoops were meant to go on a metal snare.
    All the more reason to do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    So have them wrapped in carbon fiber. Stronger and sexier.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

crazy drummer: if you want a nice crack to your snare get die cast hoops. i guess it's too late now anyway...