Thread: Paiste PST 5

User Info Menu

Default Paiste PST 5

I'm leaning towards buying the Paiste PST 5 because they are somewhat cheap. What do you guys think about these cymbals? I've never had paiste cymbals before. Are the PST 5s good or should I get better Paiste cymbals and if so what kind should I get?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste PST 5

I'm not sure about the line you are referring to but I have 14" Alpha Sound Edge hats and an 18" china. Both were reasonably priced and sound good too. I can't speak about Alpha crashes or rides. Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

i've heard the paiste PST5 hihats-they were pretty good

User Info Menu

PST5 I believe are the successors to the old "505"s Pretty good intermediate level cymbals....
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

the hats are nice, the crash is OK and the ride is awful..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    the hats are nice, the crash is OK and the ride is awful..
    I use 'em and I totally agree with your assessment.

User Info Menu

thank you. i know its so detailed

User Info Menu

I own i PST5 14" thin crash and i love it. The quality is great for the price.
    PAISTE is very trustworthy brand to go with, its been around for longer than most of the others.
    Check out this drummer. he uses the generic PST 5 setup and they sound great with his playing style.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZnl6O8JKSs

User Info Menu

i have a pst5 18" rock crash, i like it it just kind of has a longish ring to it, but all my other cymbals are pst3, and i think the setup for pst5's would be well worth the price

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

PST 5 is the best line in Paiste that come with low price....Much better than 101 and PST-3

In this case, Zildjian have ZBT....and Sabian have B8....

ZBT,PST-5 and B8 are much alike....

I suggest you to try ZBT and B8 before you buy PST-5....
    Let your ear decide which is the best for your budget....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Ive actually heard the 101 and 201 paistes were more along the lines of B8 and ZBT, PST 5 would be more in the area of XS20, and ZHT

User Info Menu

instead of B8 and ZBT i reccomend PST 5, Xs20, ZHT

User Info Menu

I have PST 5 cymbals that I originally used with my main kit, then upgraded. I still use them with my practice kit though. I did the comparison to the lower end Zildjian and Sabian lines before I bought them, and I recommend comparing to see which cymbals sound best to you. It's all a matter of individual taste. I find them to be a bit "brighter" sounding than the comparable Zildjians and Sabians, and that's more to my own liking.

As to are they good? Yes, I think they are extremely good cymbals for the money. They are much better than the entry level cymbals, and I would put them into the low-intermediate range. I have what generally comes in the boxed set, 14" hats, 20" medium ride, and 16" medium crash. The ride actually cuts pretty good - I like the bell on it. For relatively inexpensive cymbals I think they're a great value.

You may also want to check out the Paiste Alpha line, which are a step up. I have a 14" fast crash that I use as an effect cymbal (like a splash) and also an 18" medium crash. The 18" is loud and will cut through very well, while the 14" has a nice crash with a very short sustain.

The B8 line is a big seller, and lots of people may prefer them. I agree that the XS20 and ZHT are the comparable lines to the PST 5. I don't think you need to be concerned about the quality of any of them.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.