Thread: Doumbek, Darabaukka, Tabla?

User Info Menu

Default Doumbek, Darabaukka, Tabla?

I'm hoping to get one of these three. What's the diffrence in between then though? Also, which one would you suggest to get?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Doumbek, Darabaukka, Tabla?

46, what is your application?

User Info Menu

To play when I cant bring my set, to play for fun, just to learn something new. I'm kind of into Arabic stuff too, so mabye to be able to play some of that.

User Info Menu

I would recommend a Dumbek, they are very portable, pretty easy to learn, and definitely have that standard arabic drum sound.
    Tabla is not something that can really be learned casually, it takes many hours a day for years to be any good... Plus they are very quiet, you can't really hear them over djembes and stuff in a drum circle...

User Info Menu

I found this for ya:

This goblet-shaped hand drum of the Middle East, North Africa and the Balkans has many different names: for example, it's called a tabla or hoqa in Egypt and Jordan, a derbocka in Morocco and Algeria, durbakee in Iraq, dumbelek in Turkey, and a dombek or zarb in Iran. Generally, however, this drum is referred to by the Persian term dumbec or the Arabic term darabukka. The origin of these names are not known but it is believed that the term "dumbec" refers to the deep "dum" sound made when the drum's head is struck in the center and the sharp "bec" sound when you strike the head's rim, while "darabukka" is probably derived from the Arabic word "darba," which means "to strike." Drums of this type have been traced back to ancient Babylonia and Sumeria, sometime around 1100 BCE. Traditionally, these drums are made of clay, wood or metal with skin heads. Nowadays, heavy aluminum bodies and adjustable plastic heads are favored by professional drummers, especially those who play in night club bands to accompany belly dancing.
    source: http://www.gillygaloo.net/docs/08_instr.htm

There's also a blurb here: http://www.andycopeman.com/article.php?id=20

You should probably go to a store that carries a good handful of these drums and try them out. They'll probably all have a similar type of sound. You can also go on You Tube and search some videos for the different drums to see what it brings up. That way you'll be able to hear people playing them and decide from there.
    Last edited by drummer; 06-17-2008 at 04:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Doumbek, Darabaukka, Tabla?

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    I'm hoping to get one of these three. What's the diffrence in between then though? Also, which one would you suggest to get?
    drummer, thanks for the info! I wonder if 46 is confusing "darabukka" with "djembe"... here's an overview of the djembe...http://www.asza.com/idjembe.shtml

46, I have both a doumbek and a djembe and I enjoy playing both of them. As peach_tx pointed out, the doumbek has the traditional "Arabic" sound and is easy to carry with you (even the largest ones are not much bigger than a pair of professional bongos). You can tuck the doumbek under your arm and play it almost anywhere!

The djembe has a deeper sound when struck toward the center of the head and a harsher "rimshot" that makes it great for African effects...although the djembe article I linked to says few musicians play the djembe correctly, it's still a cool addition to your hand drum collection. Don't know if you have congas, but LP has a stand that accommodates two congas and a djembe if you're playing standing up. I prefer playing hand drums seated (I use a bongo stand for the bongos that allows me to play them like side toms on a drum kit.)

Tablas are not for beginners...you're absolutely right, peach_tx, that even at their loudest, tablas will never cut through the other musicians the way a doumbek or a djembe can...if you are willing to take the time--and much of it--to master the tablas, go for it, but for what you want to do, a doumbek and/or a djembe are the best choices. If I were going with only one, I'd get the doumbek...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

No, I just learned that every style ( darabakka vs. doumbek for example) has a little deiffrent sound because thier heritage is it diffrnet countries but close in sound, size, and shape.
    So everyone would suggest dumbek? I need something portable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 46secondanthem View Post
    No, I just learned that every style ( darabakka vs. doumbek for example) has a little deiffrent sound because thier heritage is it diffrnet countries but close in sound, size, and shape.
    So everyone would suggest dumbek? I need something portable.
    In that case, the doumbek is your best choice! The one I play is about 11 inches tall, with a five-inch calfskin head...at its narrowest, it's about three inches in diameter, then the shell flares out again to about six inches at its bottom...

Hope it helps, 46!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Yeah! thats great. That proabably what I'll get, thanks guys! I dont know if I can get one in town, and if I cant, does anyone have any online stores to recommend?

User Info Menu

Google "doumbek"...you'll be amazed what you come up with...and don't forget to check DrumBum.com...

Charlie

User Info Menu

I cant find one in town, I found one online, but I would like to play before I buy. I'll look for one when I go to the Capital this week. ..

I just got my Doumbek! Its a Mid-East, Copper, I guess regular size, and pretty amazing =)
    I'll upload some pictures later
    Last edited by 46secondanthem; 07-13-2008 at 10:10 PM.