Thread: how do i improve my speed

User Info Menu

Default how do i improve my speed

i have 2 drummers i look up to, Joey Jordison from Slipknot and Nicholas Barker formally of Dimmu Borgir. they are very fast when they drum. so does anyone have any advice how i could be as fast as they are? like any particular exercises i could do to improve that.

User Info Menu

Default Re: how do i improve my speed

First, perfect technique. Study and learn the "best" techniques to maximize full performance potential. Think of things such as angle, range of motion, etc. Secondly, repeat, repeat, repeat. Doing something over and over long enough to increase speed. It really is that simple.

User Info Menu

rudiments, some exersies are R R L L
    L L R R
    R L R L
    L R L R
    R R R L
    L R R R play these many times, work up your speed, you can also practice blast beats on a pillow.

1DrJoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tpribb01 View Post
    i have 2 drummers i look up to, Joey Jordison from Slipknot and Nicholas Barker formally of Dimmu Borgir. they are very fast when they drum. so does anyone have any advice how i could be as fast as they are? like any particular exercises i could do to improve that.
    Def. take some time to learn your rudiments and start off playing them slowly to make sure you've got them right (and don't forget to switch them around so you build up stamina and dexterity in both hands!!!) and when they are comfortable start playing them in time to music as fills with some grooves around them to make sure you get used to using them musically. You can then use the music to chart your speed development........

(btw make sure you record yourself when playing along with tracks so you can listen back and check how you're doing!)

User Info Menu

As the advice has been given, you start slowly and work the tempo gradually upwards. If you don't have it, get a copy of the drummers' bible...STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone. This is the method that was studied by the likes of Joe Morello. Once you begin, the worst thing to have happen is to ask if you are there, yet. Speed will come and so will endurance. You won't even realize it's happening.

Along with this, I would recommend The Moeller Technique DVD. You can find it on google. It will blow your mind away!! BTW, Joey Jordison didn't just happen over night. It took him years to develop his trademark speed...he told me so.

User Info Menu

practice. oh yeah and steroids....JK

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    practice. oh yeah and steroids....JK
    LOL

i can already see the NEWS:

The International Drug Rehabilitation Urine Management (I-DRUM) revealed yesterday that it has tested Coke_Can for "band" substances. It is alleged that results were very positive.
    How many musicians would be left if we were under the same scrutiny as athletes? OOh im off topic...

Back on topic now:
    hi tpribb01
    i dont know very much - but i do know that hitting a pillow is the best exercise. it forces you to do everything with the stick. There is very little reaction from the pillow from your action against it. bang a pillow for half an hour a day for a week.

LLRRLLRRLLRRLLRR: my speed at this more than doubled within a week.
    i must admit im a freak tho - and when i set my mind to something i push myself hard. A result of too many steriods :P

User Info Menu

If you want to get fast, play as fast as you can and still keep time. Keep doing that until you start to slow down, then stop. You will slowly be able to play faster and longer. It's something you have to maintain too. If you take a break, you'll lose your speed.

It's basically sprint training for swimming, track, etc., but on drums. Your body works the same way.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    you can also practice blast beats on a pillow.
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. Bad idea.

The point of practicing blast beats is obviously to be able to play them on a kit. Playing them on a pillow is totally different to playing them on a kit.

Also, if you pracice on a pillow you are forced to use your hands and fingers in a way that is radicly different to how you use your hands on a rebounding surface (Drums, for example). This means that you will learn a lot of habits that you will need to remove because they do not work playing on a rebounding surface. Reminds me of an Art Verdi quote, "I dont like teaching people who have done a lot of pillow practice because it takes me a year to unglue their fingers from their sticks".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo mk:II View Post
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no. Bad idea.

The point of practicing blast beats is obviously to be able to play them on a kit. Playing them on a pillow is totally different to playing them on a kit.

Also, if you pracice on a pillow you are forced to use your hands and fingers in a way that is radicly different to how you use your hands on a rebounding surface (Drums, for example). This means that you will learn a lot of habits that you will need to remove because they do not work playing on a rebounding surface. Reminds me of an Art Verdi quote, "I dont like teaching people who have done a lot of pillow practice because it takes me a year to unglue their fingers from their sticks".

Tell that to the likes of Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Louie Bellson, Shelley Manne, Art Blakely, Jo Jones and countless other drummers who attribute their phenomenal stick control to that very system. The idea of the "Pillow" attack is to build strength in the wrists and not be concerned with rebound. You can bounce off the practice pad all you want but you won't go very far without having the sticks under control to begin with. The strength in the wrists is what also enables those who utilize the Moeller technique to the highest degree. Hand/wrist conditioning takes the same approach as body building...there are exercises for very specific goals. Not only was I brought up on the idea of Pillow Padding, I also used 16 0z lead sticks on the pad...thankfully, that didn't last to long.

User Info Menu

practice on the pad

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

Tell that to the likes of Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Louie Bellson, Shelley Manne, Art Blakely, Jo Jones and countless other drummers who attribute their phenomenal stick control to that very system. The idea of the "Pillow" attack is to build strength in the wrists and not be concerned with rebound. You can bounce off the practice pad all you want but you won't go very far without having the sticks under control to begin with. The strength in the wrists is what also enables those who utilize the Moeller technique to the highest degree. Hand/wrist conditioning takes the same approach as body building...there are exercises for very specific goals. Not only was I brought up on the idea of Pillow Padding, I also used 16 0z lead sticks on the pad...thankfully, that didn't last to long.
    I see what you mean about building control, and i can see the benefits of that too, so long as it is in conjuction with playing on the pad and on the drums and so long as it doesn't give you bad habits. However, my main point was that practiceing blast beats (which are played on drums) should be practiced on drums. We are in agreement on that?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo mk:II View Post
    I see what you mean about building control, and i can see the benefits of that too, so long as it is in conjuction with playing on the pad and on the drums and so long as it doesn't give you bad habits. However, my main point was that practiceing blast beats (which are played on drums) should be practiced on drums. We are in agreement on that?

I would agree but, what, exactly, are Blast Beats? And Vinny, yes, you understand the concept about the pillow. It was all in conjunction with the practice pad. Build the strength and stamina needed to control the sticks all the while maintaining proper form...no bad habits.

User Info Menu

man i must interject here also - the pillow thing works....
    i have alluded to why i think it works in another thread. It teaches upstrokes... controlled and strengthens.

Two weeks ago i had nothing in my left parradidling would go R L R R L R L..... and the second stroke there on the left would just die in the asssssss. MY wrist just didnt want to pick that stick back up for another stroke. Pillow fighting has really helped this.

You got to hold the stick properly while hitting absorbing objects of course.. and balance this with time on real drums so that you learn the right amount of reaction back from the drum.. but you wouldnt just play on a pillow all day would you.. it just doenst make enough noise

Pillows are great for speed.

User Info Menu

The pillow is an excellent surface to build strength and speed. When you can feel comfortable playing rudiments on a pillow and even start feeling some rebound off the pillow, you know your control and technique has come a long long way
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Tell that to the likes of Joe Morello, Tony Williams, Louie Bellson, Shelley Manne, Art Blakely, Jo Jones and countless other drummers who attribute their phenomenal stick control to that very system.
    Add Dennis Chambers to that list. One of the most technically advanced drummers of our time.

Yes folks, it all comes back to balance. Other references: Writers pull out a blank piece of paper and just let their thoughts ramble on to the page. Baseball players warm up with weighted rings on their bats. None of these people actually "perform" like this. They are simply additional (and "proven") learning tools and methods to aid them in the process.

User Info Menu

george kollias has some videos on youtube that exlain speed techinques and derek roddy's website expalins some exercises to improve speed. most endurance

User Info Menu

As the advice has been given, you start slowly and work the tempo gradually upwards. If you don't have it, get a copy of the drummers' bible...STICK CONTROL by George L. Stone. This is the method that was studied by the likes of Joe Morello. Once you begin, the worst thing to have happen is to ask if you are there, yet. Speed will come and so will endurance. You won't even realize it's happening.

Along with this, I would recommend The Moeller Technique DVD. You can find it on google. It will blow your mind away!! BTW, Joey Jordison didn't just happen over night. It took him years to develop his trademark speed...he told me so.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) EXCELLENT *AND ANOTHER DISCIPLINED (TECHNIQUE)
    is TO FOCUS your CONTROL within THE ANCIENT FINE ART of PLAYING (PERFORMING )within a very STRUCTURED DISCIPLINE within CONTROLED (QUIET)Like A FINE TOUCH of A FEATHER upon the HEADS of THE DRUMS
    AND PAD **Playing QUITE IS A LIFE TIME AND BEYOND TO MASTER **which
    IS ANOTHER (TECHNIQUE THAT will (ONLY)ENCHANCE the ART of BRUSH (TECHNIQUES) which WILL AND this IS A FACT INCREASE Movements within the Motions of EXTREMMMMMXXX SPEEDS AND EXTREMMMMXX (DISCIPLINED (CONTROL)AS this ALSO is THE TECHNIQUES FOR FOOT(FEET )(PEDALS)
    CONTROL AND SPEEDS VERY CLEAN SPEEDS *** AND LEARNING THE UP-STROKES*TECHNIQUES )GRACIAS **AS ALL this KNOWLEDGE IS FANTASTIC within the VERY ARTISTIC CREATIVE OPEN MINDED ARTIST Within their OWN UNIQUE (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) of THEIR JOURNEYS WITHIN this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM**GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 06-21-2008 at 03:50 AM.

User Info Menu

I would agree but, what, exactly, are Blast Beats? And Vinny, yes, you understand the concept about the pillow. It was all in conjunction with the practice pad. Build the strength and stamina needed to control the sticks all the while maintaining proper form...no bad habits.
    Thay are an agressive wall of sound/fill/beat very commonly used in heavy metal music. There are a lot of variations on it, but a basic blastbeat could look like:

Ride:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Snare:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    BD:xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

User Info Menu

Whenever you listen to music, grab a stick and tap on whatever is around you.
    When you're really pushing your limits it can be pretty impossible to keep up for a whole song, but gradually you build your speed and your stamina and one day you'll think to yourself "that's not very fast"

Or I used to try and tap as fast as I could on my knee with a stick for the whole duration of a commercial break when I was watching TV. They seem to last forever.