Thread: Storage conditions

User Info Menu

Default Storage conditions

What's the maximum temperature a kit can be kept in and remain healthy? I am keeping mine in a shed and it's considerably hotter in there than in the house. I do cover the kit with a few sheets but I don't know if that is beneficial or not...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Storage conditions

im wondering if your kit is a wrap, or is it laquered....a kit that has a color wrap on it will bubble in heat, probaby 90 F, im sure other guys have had similar experiences...a laquer kit will be tougher, im sure....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

That's what I was going to say Crazy. I had a drumset with a laminate finish years ago and it buckled. I was young and stupid and left the kit in my car. It probably got up to 120 degrees in there.

To answer your question, drums are usually made to withstand normal temperature fluctuations and even some extremes but as general advice I'd say, if you have extreme temperatures, it's always better to be safe rather than sorry. Take every precaution you can along the way to protect your investment.

User Info Menu

:s I have no idea whether my kit is a wrap or laquered. How do I find that out?

User Info Menu

If I remember right, a wrap is a decorative plastic over the shell. A Laquered finish, is a painted finish.

Hope I'm right!
    “The doctor listens in with a stethoscope and hears sounds of a warpath Indian drum.”

User Info Menu

A wrap will have a seam. Also, keep in mind that wood expands and contracts with the variances in temperatures from cold to hot. If what you have is a cheap set and you don't particularly care, then don't worry about it otherwise, you might want to consider some alternative.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat LittleDrummerGirl! I would agree that the condition you described is a risk to your drum kit. The sheets that you cover it with will serve to keep the dust off the kit, but it won't protect it from the heat.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Storage conditions

Hi, LDG!

If there's any way you can get the drum kit out of that shed, do it!

Temperature extremes, particularly swings from hot to cold to hot again, not only affect the finish, but also the wood or shell material; your shells could crack or warp. And if your shed is like most sheds, it's uninsulated and subject to dampness or condensation in cold weather. That, too, can damage the shells and cause your metal parts (rims, snare shell, hardware, stands, etc.) to pit or rust.

Even if you didn't spend much for your drum kit, it's a major investment that can last you a long time if it's properly maintained. IMHO, keeping it in an uninsulated shed may be one of the worst things you can do...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

just clean out a closet and stack those puppies into a tower, hardware behind it, and get a cymbal tote and place those on the floor next to them, if im right the only thing you should worry about is dust

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.