Thread: Soundproofing

User Info Menu

Default Soundproofing

Can anyone suggest the cheapest method to soundproof a room in the house for drums?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Soundproofing

The cheapest way.......maybe some blankets or quilts or a throw just hanging on the walls that you already have in the closet is probably the cheapest way .

Im doing a 22 x 16 room in the basement , acoustic ceiling tiles and carpet for the walls and floor . I think the total price for material is costing me about $ 6k .

Welcome to the forum too .

User Info Menu

6K?!!!! Damn, I think I'd rather just bang away and risk seeing the cops at my door once a month. LOL

User Info Menu

insulation bats and rockwool make great cheap sound absorbers. Anything that is a denser medium. Curved surfaces in the corners, thick pile carpet on the floor, bookcases are very cheap helmholtz resonators,
    the rule is the denser the medium - the more bass it absorbs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    The cheapest way.......maybe some blankets or quilts or a throw just hanging on the walls that you already have in the closet is probably the cheapest way .
    How well would that work?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Not Egg Boxes!! Lol!!

Seriously, I live in a shared house with a double garage and seeing as most people here are musicians we had a stab at sound proofing it. We insulated the ceiling and held it all up there by nailing sheets to the ceiling. We got a load of old mattresses and put them up against the door, keeping it in place with carpet nailed to the rafters. We also nailed carpet up against the walls all around the inside. As you can tell its very DIY but, barring a few complaints (mostly from a very unreasonable neighbour who essentially would like to live in a silent bubble and has no life) it has served us very well.

The problem is we're all moving on and out of the house in a couple of weeks (the end of our student lives, Arrrghhh!!) and I'm moving into a small two bed apartment. What will I do?!!?!? My only thought is getting an e-kit but never in a million years can I afford one!

*cries*
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    How well would that work?
    Like anything else ,depends on how well you do it . How thick are your blankets , do they reach the floor and go all the way to the ceiling . The more hard surface area you cover the better it is . If you can cover the ceiling too ,then thats even better. Not the prettiest looking thing but better than nothing and cheap .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    6K?!!!! Damn, I think I'd rather just bang away and risk seeing the cops at my door once a month. LOL

LOL........I built my house and knew I was going to have a music room so I added 2 extra coarse of block for the basement walls so I couod have an 8 ft high ceiling.

I used Dryloc on the block to seal out moisture . I put tar paper on the floor for moisture, built 2x4 floor with 5/8 plywood on top to keep the drums offf the concrete , and have styrofoam sheeting in-betwEen the floor studs .

I built 2x4 walls with fiberglass insulation between the studs and added foam sheets between the stud walls and block walls . Covered all the stud walls with 1/2 plywood so I can tack carpet to the walls , and have an acoustic drop ceiling I put in with recessed lighting . Also have R-25 insulaion above the tiles in the rafters of the basement .

And I have a 200 watt speaker in each corner to play along with my favorite tunes .

Almost finished , I will put up some pics when I get done , probably take me a couple more months yet . I dont get a chance to get down there too often to work .

User Info Menu

Ear plugs would be the cheapest.Depends on what you want to do. If your room is finished, you could use mattress foam. The kind that makes your mattress a little more cozyrama. Then put up some heavy blankets over it. That would be a lot cheaper than acoustifoam, but not as good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    Not Egg Boxes!! Lol!!
    I was going to say egg cartons....
    Not the ones that come with a dozen eggs, but the more flat ones that they stack up inside bigger boxes.

One of my drum teachers when I was young had his whole studio covered with these and it worked pretty good.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    LOOOOOOOOL

User Info Menu

I have a practice kit I use in my condo, and I use Sound Off drum silencer pads on that kit. It cuts the sound down by about 80% or more. If my neighbors have their tv or music on, they don't even hear me playing, and we've got pretty thin walls, so that says a lot. I paid around $60 and have pads for snare, 3 toms, floor tom, and bass drum. The set also included two cymbal pads and also pads for the hi hats. Vic Firth makes a very similar product, and there are a few others as well.

That's the cheapest method I know of.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I have those sound off mutes. I never use them. I wonder if they will make a good pad for how food...

User Info Menu

Believe it or not, I sound proofed a 2 car garage using nothing but old mattresses! Total cost = $0!

Watch the free section on craigslist and within a week you should have enough to do an entire room...
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Submerge it in water. If you live where it's flooding right now, this is free.

Seriously though, replacing sheet rock walls with block and cement will kill a ton of sound, if that's an option.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47