Thread: To vent or not to vent...

User Info Menu

Default To vent or not to vent...

I am a novice drum maker and I have posted on another thread about my PVC snare drum. Well it is now done but I have a slight issue with it. The drum sounds great but the snares seem to buzz alot. The buzzing is in sympathy with the other drums. I have beds cut on the snare side of the shell so I don't think that is it. There are no air vents in the shell. Could that be the reason for the excessive buzzing? I have three other snares...all vented...no problems. My powers of deduction tell me that an air vent (or several) should do the trick but I am submitting this proposed resolution to the scrutiny of the esteemed members of this forum. Please feel free to comment.

User Info Menu

Default Re: To vent or not to vent...

If you have adequate snare beds cut and adequate tension on the snare wires then I would say drill a vent hole and see what happens, it can't hurt. I honestly would be surprised if that cured the problem though. sympathetic snare buzz can be from a number of problems unrelated to a vent holes as I am sure you are already aware. I suppose you will just have to keep experimenting to you find the culprit problem.

User Info Menu

I would only add 1 vent hole , and try adjusting the tension on the hheads and snare.

Post some pics if you can , I would like to see what you made .

User Info Menu

The air that is pent up inside the shell has to vent out to release its pressure. One hole is sufficient to start with. As for the buzzing, start with your snare wires. If they are new and not bent or warped, you should not have any problem once the drum is vented.
    Even the slightest bend or twist in a single snare wire can cause that problem. Two months ago, I replaced a 20 strand snare with a 30 strand and then put on a new reso snare head...Remo "Hazy." That cured my problem.

User Info Menu

One hole should do it.
    You probably already have, but try retuning it. Usually that's what does it. Keep in mind the PVC shell will resonate differently than your other shells.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Thanks guys...now I have a bunch of options to try. I will post a pic as soon as I get the problem solved and put it back together. Thanks for the help and for the interest in the project.

ThePloughman Guest

Your problem is tuning.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    Your problem is tuning.
    I would agree, your sypathetic buzzing is normally caused by the drums being tuned to a frequency that is the same as the overtones generated by one or more of your other drums. I would try loosening or tightening the snare side head first to see if the buzzing diminishes.

I would say that at least one vent hole should make the drum sound better, but I don't suspect that is causing the buzzing.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.