Thread: Paiste

User Info Menu

Question Paiste

Do Paiste Cymbals crack easily even though they look like they would be more durable than Zildjian or Sabian cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Paiste

That's what everyone will say, but personally I've had the same Refelctor crash now for about a year and it's expectancy was six months, that's why they come with a warranty. Paiste cymbals do tend to crack a bit easier than others though because of how they're manually crafted and fine produced. But hey, that little bit of worry goes a long way with the beautiful sound you get from them.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Ive always been told, If you play with good technique, you will never have to worry about cymbals breaking

Seriously, Think of it this way, how many jazz artists do you know play paiste? as compared to zildjian and sabian, sabian and zildjian have cymbal lines meant for jazz, most of the people that play paiste (That i know at least) play rock or heavier. So people saying paistes crack easier is sort of biased, Most of the kids pick up some paistes, and whale on them just like their JJ and tend to crack them

Now as 32nd said, they may crack easier then sabian and zildjian usually, but Im sure your going to get a life out of them, just use the right technique, swipe them, dont smash them

User Info Menu

I have split both Zildian and Paiste before. The Zildian was a heavy old beast which still split while the Paiste was much thinner...

Its all about technique - there is no need to beat the living daylights out of a cymbal!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

QUOTE: "Paiste cymbals do tend to crack a bit easier than others though because of how they're manually crafted and fine produced."

Where did you get that information? What evidence do you have? Are you trying to sound like an expert on cymbals, or did you hear that somewhere and just decide to repeat it? If you're going to state something as a fact, you need to have evidence to prove that it's a fact.

I don't care what drum forum you go on, someone will always ask if this is true. It's not. I have not seen a shred of evidence anywhere on the internet that Paiste cymbals crack easier than any other brand.

The question is usually put that "I heard from a friend whose friend had Paiste cymbal that broke really easy." It's all garbage as far as I'm concerned.

I play nothing buy Paiste cymbals and have never cracked one. In fact, the cymbals I use with my gigging kit are all Signatures and I do hit them pretty hard once in awhile. No problems. Nor have I had any issues with the Alphas or PST5s that I own. Never. I also personally know several drummers who also use Paiste, and none of them have ever broken one. So believe what you want, but people who break cymbals are going to break them no matter what name is printed on them. For those who don't hit them as hard as they possibly can, and use proper technique, it's extremely rare to break any cymbal.

If you can find any reputable report anywhere that Paistes break more than other brands I would love to see it.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Seriously, Think of it this way, how many jazz artists do you know play paiste? as compared to zildjian and sabian, sabian and zildjian have cymbal lines meant for jazz, most of the people that play paiste (That i know at least) play rock or heavier. So people saying paistes crack easier is sort of biased, Most of the kids pick up some paistes, and whale on them just like their JJ and tend to crack them
    Wow...It's a nice analogy Cheezz....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    QUOTE: "Paiste cymbals do tend to crack a bit easier than others though because of how they're manually crafted and fine produced."

Where did you get that information? What evidence do you have? Are you trying to sound like an expert on cymbals, or did you hear that somewhere and just decide to repeat it? If you're going to state something as a fact, you need to have evidence to prove that it's a fact.

Geez, sorry man. I've heard it alot before I'm about to buy one, once from two guys with totally different music tastes. The one guy played for Misery Index, the other was a jazz teacher, so their views weren't biased as far as I see it.

And Ch33z, a lot of jazz artists use Paste cymbals, you just have to look for them.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

depends on what sereis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Geez, sorry man. I've heard it alot before I'm about to buy one, once from two guys with totally different music tastes. The one guy played for Misery Index, the other was a jazz teacher, so their views weren't biased as far as I see it.

And Ch33z, a lot of jazz artists use Paste cymbals, you just have to look for them.
    There may be alot, but how many well known? Shoot, Every big name jazz artist I can think of plays mainly zildjian and some play sabian, I know none of the top of my head hta play paiste.

And, What line would paiste have for the jazz players? 2002 was designed to rock, Signature is applied to rock, reflectors, ect, all centered around rock

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    There may be alot, but how many well known? Shoot, Every big name jazz artist I can think of plays mainly zildjian and some play sabian, I know none of the top of my head hta play paiste.

And, What line would paiste have for the jazz players? 2002 was designed to rock, Signature is applied to rock, reflectors, ect, all centered around rock
    aren't the twenty series for jazz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    aren't the twenty series for jazz?
    I honestly dont know, im more of a sabian guy

User Info Menu

I don't know about the Twenty series being aimed at jazz players, but the Tradtional series is aimed more towards jazz playing, but will do well in any type of music.

As far as breaking cymbals, you get what you pay for and if you don't abuse it, it will last. Somebody that buys, say, a Paiste 101 series and beats the heck out of it is going to break it very quickly, so naturally he is going to have the opinion that Paiste cymbals suck. The same thing would happen if he bought a Planet Z cymbal. He would decide that Zildjian sucks. No one brand is any better than the other, in my opinion. It all comes down to sound preference.

I currently use Paiste 802's, Alphas, Signatures, and an old 1000 series prototype and I have never done any damage to any of them in the last few years of playing them.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

ThePloughman Guest

2oo2 cymbals purchased new in 1977, I bought them with the kit in 1979. Hats, Crash, Ride. I sold those same cymbals in 2004 (?) for more than they cost new in 77. And they got steady play. Real steady play. Through all my bad technique, no case, and general abuse by others. No crack, no warp, no keyhole. I wore out at least a dozen clutches over the years. If you are lucky enough to work through your bad technique, and take care of them the rest of the time, they will last you a lifetime. Currently I am playing 2oo2 cymbals again.

User Info Menu

I don't care what drum forum you go on, someone will always ask if this is true. It's not. I have not seen a shred of evidence anywhere on the internet that Paiste cymbals crack easier than any other brand.

The question is usually put that "I heard from a friend whose friend had Paiste cymbal that broke really easy." It's all garbage as far as I'm concerned.

I play nothing buy Paiste cymbals and have never cracked one. In fact, the cymbals I use with my gigging kit are all Signatures and I do hit them pretty hard once in awhile. No problems. Nor have I had any issues with the Alphas or PST5s that I own. Never. I also personally know several drummers who also use Paiste, and none of them have ever broken one. So believe what you want, but people who break cymbals are going to break them no matter what name is printed on them. For those who don't hit them as hard as they possibly can, and use proper technique, it's extremely rare to break any cymbal.

If you can find any reputable report anywhere that Paistes break more than other brands I would love to see it.
    HOLA Como EsTaS *NORSKE*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST &Mi amigo EXCELLENT *AS Techniques are very*VERY Important*AND Your RIGHT FACTS IN FACT befor stateing FACTS the ARTISTIC ARTIST or WHOM
    Ever should RESEARCH for the FACTS **I know one FORSURE FACT as this
    is ONLY FROM My OWN WHOLE LIFE AS A VERY SERIOUS CREATIVE ARTISTIC-PRO- ARTIST*I*

NEVER BROKE ANY CYMBALS *BUt as It is Some things JUST HAPPEN**
    AND WHAT EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST IS ALL GREAT*within their OWN UNIQUE JOURNEYS within this VERY ANCOIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I agree with Norske