Thread: attention all new to drums!

User Info Menu

Default attention all new to drums!

if your new to drums, and have just recently bought a set or plan to get one soon. make sure when you tune the drums or need to take the head off too tighten each lug evenly, and make sure you tighten the lug across from the lug your tighteneing. I cross threaded all the lugs on my bass drum a few monthes ago b/c i was a noob, and had no idea what i was doing, i tightened the lugs randomly, and it cost me $100 to get it fixed. so hopefully this won't happen to you.

User Info Menu

Default Re: attention all new to drums!

Yikes!

User Info Menu

An excellent caution DMD. Sorry to hear you had to learn that one the hard way. OUCH!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

good advice DMD, it is definatly easy to cross thread stuff if you arn't careful.

User Info Menu

I've started using a clock method...where I start at 2:00-o-clock position, then the 8:00 , then 4:00 then 10:00 then 6:00 and lastly 12:00, when I tune up the drums,...and repete until they're tuned
    One other thing I tried when I got my new drums, I used a small cordless drill with a socket to speed up putting the drum heads on, I set the clutch on the drill to 1 and tighten all the same, then finshed tuning by hand.
    So far no cross threading.

User Info Menu

One other word of caution is never use a drum key fitting in a cordless drill to start & tighten lug screws, you really run the risk of cross threading your lugs and it can turn into an expensive mistake.