Thread: Which practice pad?

User Info Menu

Default Which practice pad?

Hi everyone here,I am a new member in the forum.
    I would like to ask which practice pad is better?
    I have heard of Remo and HQ, Which one is better? or any other suggestion?
    Thx so much~Keep rock'n!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which practice pad?

I have an HQ which is a good pad. It feels realistic and is pretty quiet. I have had a REMO one in the past , the kind which uses a real drum head, and it sort of defeats the purpose of a practice pad...being quiet. It feels ok but it is loud as heck. I guess it would depend one what you are looking for. You can always do what I do...buy both!

User Info Menu

oic~thx so much
    But what size of should I buy? and should I buy a single sided or a double sided?
    I am in Hong Kong now can someone buy one for me from places where the price is low?
    THX^^

User Info Menu

the remo one dosent sound good

User Info Menu

You don't need a large practice pad, for working on rudiments rolls etc. The 8" pads (which are cheaper) work just fine. Actually my favorite practice pad didn't cost me anything. Took and old piece of scrap wood, and glued an old mouse pad to it upside down and I like it better than the CB percussion, and remo practice pads I have.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I have several pads I use for different excersises. My main pad is a Sabian quiet tone pad for normal workouts plus a 2-sided Vic Virth pad. I also have a moon gel pad that I can put on top of either one of them.

User Info Menu

I like this one. My only piece of Yamaha gear, and probably always will be. It's got the metal beads in it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Does anyone here remember rubber tips for drumsticks? We used those 40 years ago as an alternative to practice pads.

User Info Menu

Oh thx for everyone suggestions,,,
    Actually I am think of finding people to buy me one from foreign countries as I am living in HK...A HQ 8 inches pad cost me about 300 HK$...

User Info Menu

I have a Vic Firth 2 sided pad. I love it. No complaints.

User Info Menu

I have an HQ apprentice 7 inch practice pad. I like it but it is a little too small. I should of bought the 12 inch one.

User Info Menu

Is the Vic Firth one loud or as quiet as HQ?

User Info Menu

The double sided one has a soft rubber and hard rubber coatings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Does anyone here remember rubber tips for drumsticks? We used those 40 years ago as an alternative to practice pads.
    I have a set of those!! They're great! They never really caught on or got the credit they deserve. Too bad, they're so under-rated!!!

I also have an HQ 12" Real Feel double sided practice pad. Love that too!!
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

I use my knee as a practice pad.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK* CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) FORSURE * & have you ever heard of THE FIRST BILLY GLADSTONES BLACK RUBBER VACUUM PADS ,WELL I still have mine and BEEN USEING IT EVERDAY with My remos *AND JUST PERFORMING-(PLAYING -
    the DRUM -STICKS *STICK against STICK & THE TIPS**(TECHNIQUES) GRACIAS**

User Info Menu

I remember the rubber tips you could slip on the bead of the stick. I also remember the Gladstone pad and the ludwig pad shaped like their badge they put on their drums. I remember my instructor said to put a pillow between your legs and practice with little rebound. Ludwig used to make a tuneable pad but I think they are discontinued. I also remember buying name brand sticks for under 4 bucks!!!

User Info Menu

my neighbor has a pearl practice pad, it sounds really good

User Info Menu

i have a vic firth one, it has a harder surface on one side, and a softer one on the other which absorbs the hits more, its really nice
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by METAL DRUMMER View Post
    I have a set of those!! They're great! They never really caught on or got the credit they deserve. Too bad, they're so under-rated!!!
    Hey guys... I knew I'd seen these at Drum Bum:

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-115.html