Thread: Remo Emperor on the snare batter?

User Info Menu

Default Remo Emperor on the snare batter?

I was watching a you tube video where they were explaining Jihn Bonham's setup. He used Remo Emperor Coated on all his batter even the snare and Bass. He used an Ambassador Coated on all the reso's except fot the snare that was an ambassador clear. My question is..Can you use a regular Remo 2ply Emperor on the snare batter? I'm new to heads and love the sound of the Emperors. If I can pu one of those on my snare I'm going today to buy one. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Emperor on the snare batter?

I use a coated emperor on my Supra 402 as well(same drum as Bonham's). So to answer your question, of course you can; you can do anything you want as long as it sounds good to you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I use a coated emperor on my Supra 402 as well(same drum as Bonham's). So to answer your question, of course you can; you can do anything you want as long as it sounds good to you.
    I really like the sound of Bonham's drums. I don't that beautiful Ludwig kit that he had. i have a Catalina Maple Kit. But i can try to come as close as possible. I'm not sure if I like a coated head on the bass drum though, i might go with a powersonic clear head. Those have a great thump to them. Thanks for the response I appreciate it...

User Info Menu

wouldn't an emperor on the kick sound like crap? but empeors are great snare and tom heads

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    wouldn't an emperor on the kick sound like crap? but emperors are great snare and tom heads
    Why would you think that, Emperor's are two ply 10 mil heads same as a pinstripe, but without the ring control coating between them. Aquarian Super kick II's are also two ply 10 mil heads that have a felt muffle ring applied with adhesive to control ring. In years past I used a two ply 10 mil bass drum head with a small blanket in my bass drum with very good results.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    wouldn't an emperor on the kick sound like crap? but empeors are great snare and tom heads
    Bonham also used a coated emperor on his kick. Sometimes in the recordings it would drown out though....

User Info Menu

I have the Remo Emperor coated batter head on my Supra 400 snare and it sounds great!