Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaning my cymbals

User Info Menu

Default cleaning my cymbals

I have a set of A- Zildjian cymbals and have been catching heck cleaning them. I use their polish but the problem I'm having is once I wipe the polish off and begin to shine them I catch heck getting the residue out of the grooves the hammer marks. Anybody have a suggestion that is easier then wiping until I hit muscle failure?

User Info Menu

Default Re: cleaning my cymbals

Use some sabian or zildjian cymbal cleaner in a spray bottle after you have applied and wiped off the cream cymbal polish. It will clean the black residue left from the cream polish out of the grooves, and should give you the shine that you are looking for.

User Info Menu

Thanks. I went to their website and asked the same question. They said over time grime and residue build up in the grooves and hammer marks. They suggest washing them with water and a mild detergent and to dry them completely afterwards. I like your method better.

User Info Menu

I heard urine works wonders.

( DO IT! DO IT! DO IT!)
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

I'll have to get a case of beer and try it this weekend since my wife and kids are going to be out of town !!

User Info Menu

I've heard good things about Groove Juice.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I just performed the exact same process I described to you earlier today on some older high hat cymbals that I just picked up on ebay and it works beautifully, they look brand new.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I've heard good things about Groove Juice.
    groove juiceis the devil.....and it smells like crap thank you very much
    "I mean honestly... I don't understand how "boom-click-boom-click-boom-click"evades a drummer...." ~ Kryshah

Gretsch Catalina Club Mod
    Sabian cymbals:
    18 in. AAXplosion crash
    21 in. AA raw bell ride
    16 in. Vault crash
    14 in. AAX stage hats
    Paiste:10 in. metal splash
    Zildjian:zil-bel
    DW 7000 double pedals
    PDP hardware
    EMAD!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: cleaning my cymbals

Yer Suppossed To Clean Cymbals???????
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kjbakke2 View Post
    groove juiceis the devil.....and it smells like crap thank you very much
    kJ! KJ! its for cleaning cymbals...dont sniff it bro!!!

seriously...it works good if you use it properly....read the directions....

My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Groove juice is really not allot different than "Kaboom" the stuff that Billy Maye's hawks on TV. I've been told it can be a little harsh so be careful! They are acidic and can etch or discolor your cymbals if not used with care. That is why I feel more comfortable using a cymbal manufacturers product because they wouldn't want a bunch of warranty claims for using too strong a product on their cymbals.

User Info Menu

Exclamation Re: cleaning my cymbals

ey i actually wouldnt try sabian cleaner... just 2 warn you, when i bought some i applied it 2 my cymbals.. and did everything it said 2 do, it ended up changing the color of the cymbals, fading the emblim, and it changed a nice cymbal color 2 a booger green. we called the sabian company and they replaced the cymbals.. but i still will never purchase any sabian cleaner again

User Info Menu

What line of cymbals where they? If they were the sheet bronze series B8's I have heard that happens. Sabians cleaner is much more mild than the Groove juices and Kick Brass cleaners but they are all acidic in nature and will react differently to different castings

User Info Menu

Thanks for all. I tried the Sabian cleaner on my A's lastnight and they looks great!!!!
    Again, Thnks so much. This is such a GREAT site!!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: cleaning my cymbals

Warrior.... Thxs For Bein A Part Of Da "Phamily" Feel Free To Contribute As Well....Opinions Always Welcome....pass It On .....This Is A Great Site....I Lubs This Place!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Zildjian wrote back telling me that after time the protective coat will wear off. They also told me not to try to re-apply the logo's since spray paint will effect the sound of the cymbals. The biggest problem was water stains. I re-applied their polish to the stains and let it set a afew minutes. Once I wipe it off I sprayed the Sabian cleaner to remove the residue. It worked like a charm. Ther drum-tech at my local GC said to never use other metal polishes but I have used several brands before and they all worked. The final step was once I got all of the residue off I used my electronic car polisher to bring out the shine. Now all I have to do is get my son and his friends from leaving fingerprints on them!!!

User Info Menu

Space~bar~not~working

Kid~came~to~me~once~and~said~it~took~a~couple~hour s~to~get~a~shine~on~his~one~ride~cymbal,~but~it~fi nally~shined~up~pretty~nicely.

It~was~an~EARTH~RIDE!!!

Crrrriiinnnggeee!!!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    Space~bar~not~working

Kid~came~to~me~once~and~said~it~took~a~couple~hour s~to~get~a~shine~on~his~one~ride~cymbal,~but~it~fi nally~shined~up~pretty~nicely.

It~was~an~EARTH~RIDE!!!

Crrrriiinnnggeee!!!
    No way!!!!!!

User Info Menu

I just checked out a pic of a Earth Ride. I'd like to know what he used to polish it!!

User Info Menu

In all seriousness you would need to start with course abrasives and work your way to fine abrasives and then use some sort of polishing wheel with some jewelers rouge to get an earth ride to look shiny. To do it at home would take for ever. I have some experience with this with car parts and it is an exhaustive process to do by hand....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by warrior9 View Post
    I just checked out a pic of a Earth Ride. I'd like to know what he used to polish it!!
    He used more muscle than brains

Same kid asked me who we fought in WW2.....

User Info Menu

What did you tell him?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    I just performed the exact same process I described to you earlier today on some older high hat cymbals that I just picked up on ebay and it works beautifully, they look brand new.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS BACKTODRUM CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CT) VERY COOL *CYMBALS THAT SHINE CREATE for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC ARTIST SOME VERY NEW DIMENSIONS *within the TONES //TEXTURES //BRILLIANCE *OF BRIGHT COLORS **within their UNIQUE CREATIVE ARTISTRY * GRACIAS **

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    He used more muscle than brains

Same kid asked me who we fought in WW2.....
    Lol...thats funny...I have A Customs and I use groove juice. For all you people out there who dont like it, I love you too....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    What did you tell him?
    I said it was East & West Canada, of course!

That became the running joke in our work place, as we had 'This Day in 'Scott' History' on the break room chalk board.