Thread: Which ride?

User Info Menu

Default Which ride?

Okay guys, I passed the WASL this year. Thats the Washington Assesment of Student Learning. I took it as a freshman and its a sophomore test. My deal with my dad was that if I passed all the parts, he would buy me a new ride cymbal. Only problem now is, I don't know what I want. I play classic rock and jazz, so I would like a cymbal made for really riding not just bashing.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which ride?

K custom dark ride, a series sweet ride. if you play classic rock or jazz, you can't go wrong with any K custom and a series cymbals

User Info Menu

Sabian makes a nice AAX dry ride that a friend of mine purchased. It is really nice, it has a great bell sound and nice ping stick definition, and not too washy. I have a vintage late 50 Zildjian A that I love but they are hard to find. especially one that sounds as good as the one I have. I have heard the Zildjian Armand series rides are real nice as well. It is hard to say which one to buy because, for one they are so subjective.and two, no two sound alike so it is pretty much trial and error to find one you can live with.

User Info Menu

The Zildian K would work well, I would also check out the Sabian HH series, I've got the HH Classic Ride it's got great bell sound, nice ping with a little wash.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Sabian 21" HH or AA raw bell dry ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Okay guys, I passed the WASL this year. Thats the Washington Assesment of Student Learning. I took it as a freshman and its a sophomore test. My deal with my dad was that if I passed all the parts, he would buy me a new ride cymbal. Only problem now is, I don't know what I want. I play classic rock and jazz, so I would like a cymbal made for really riding not just bashing.
    :

For Jazz and rock, you cannot go wrong with the 21" K Special Dry Ride. This is the same as played by Steve Smith and Tommy Igoe. I would have it myself except that I use the 21" Mel Lewis Signature Big Band Ride..Istanbul AGOP. With the two sizzles removed, it sounds very much like the K Special.

User Info Menu

I will agree with everyone wh ecommends a Zildjian K for a ride - especially for Jazz. I love mine!

One note of warning - if you are playing primarily with brushes instead of sticks, you might want a brighter-sounding ride than a K. If you are doing only a couple songs with brushes, just ride them on your crash instead.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    Sabian makes a nice AAX dry ride that a friend of mine purchased. It is really nice, it has a great bell sound and nice ping stick definition, and not too washy. I have a vintage late 50 Zildjian A that I love but they are hard to find. especially one that sounds as good as the one I have. I have heard the Zildjian Armand series rides are real nice as well. It is hard to say which one to buy because, for one they are so subjective.and two, no two sound alike so it is pretty much trial and error to find one you can live with.
    armands are also great for jazz or classic rock

User Info Menu

Just played in gig today...
    And i used Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride....

Man...it sounds really cool....The bell has nice attack and long sustain....I love it...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

I played a ping ride when i recorded this previous tuesday
    I do have to say it was pretty fun to play on

But i would definitly suggest the K line of cymbals to you as well
    (((Arbo)))
    Pearl Forum Series
    B8 Ride
    A Custom Master Shound Hats
    Zildjian Z Custom Crashes
    Wuhan China
    Tama Iron Cobra

User Info Menu

Go on the Zildjian web site and start listening to some of the sound clips that are posted. Then you can head out to your locl music store and pick out the ones you were listening to on the internet to see if they suite your needs .

Congrats on passing and good luck with the new cymbal.

User Info Menu

The Sabian AA Medium ride is great!
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by totti View Post
    Just played in gig today...
    And i used Avedis Zildjian Ping Ride....

Man...it sounds really cool....The bell has nice attack and long sustain....I love it...
    thats a great ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    K custom dark ride, a series sweet ride. if you play classic rock or jazz, you can't go wrong with any K custom and a series cymbals
    I second those two also. I also like to add a 22" A medium ride. All three should cover the musc you play.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater