Thread: Evans Torque Key!

User Info Menu

Default Evans Torque Key!

Is anyone using the Evans torque key for tuning? If so what kind of settings are you using? I'm trying to eliminate my snare buzz. i'm using remo coated emperors on the batter and ambassadors on the reso. Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Torque Key!

i've never heard of them B4

User Info Menu

Default Re: Evans Torque Key!

I have the Evans version and I have another one, I think its LP maybe. Anyway, I really don't use specific settings. I get the drum sounding close to where I want it with the key so I know all of my lugs are even, then I fine tune by ear. It just saves me time.

You can use it the opposite way as well, get your drum close to the sound you want. The start with a low setting on the key, slowly adjusting the key until it clicks on one of the lugs, then use that setting around the rest of the drum to even them up.

Remember all drums are different. You can take to identical drums and they will both have their own "sweat spot" this is where that particular drum sings, where the optimal spot for tuning is. I always strive to find this then tune to it.

Tunning is a subjective topic, there is no right or wrong. The sound you like is the sound you like. I read in a modern drummer way back when that Charlie Watts said it takes 4 month of playing before a heads gets to the point where he likes them. Just making the point that tuning is very personal.

There is one thing to keep in mind with this key. All of your lugs have to be working smoothly. if one is stiff because it has crap in the threads and one is not they will not tune evenly with this type of tuning key. I use a little Vaseline on all of my lugs to keep them working smoothly.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site