Thread: Cymbal Stacks

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal Stacks

My old band broke up and I'm starting a progressive rock/metal act, and I want to add some flavor to my set with a stack. How would I go about making one?
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal Stacks

a HH china kang stacks well

User Info Menu

What about the ZXT Trashformer? I heard that's good to stack. And if I do get the HH China Kang, what would I stack it on to make it sound good?
    It's a classic.

User Info Menu

K brilliant splash 12" and Zildjian Oriental Trash stacked together....
    It made a nice sounds.....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jd09 View Post
    What about the ZXT Trashformer? I heard that's good to stack. And if I do get the HH China Kang, what would I stack it on to make it sound good?
    maybe a small china, a large splash, a bell, or maybe buy the sabian chopper, meinl also makes stacks. iv'e been considering making my own stack also.

User Info Menu

I've yet to try the Meinl stack, but the Sabian Chopper wasn't what I was looking for. I played one down at Columbus Percussion and it wasn't the stack sound I was looking for.
    It's a classic.

User Info Menu

Found this old thread and it got me interested in using a cymbal stack for the first time (I've been playing for many years). Its just something I've never done. Any other comments on this. How many of you have a cymbal stack? Do you use it much? Any other recommendations for types of cymbals that work well for this?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Found this old thread and it got me interested in using a cymbal stack for the first time (I've been playing for many years). Its just something I've never done. Any other comments on this. How many of you have a cymbal stack? Do you use it much? Any other recommendations for types of cymbals that work well for this?
    HAD a 12" Wuhan china/Agazarian 12" splash for a bit..didn't use it much in Christian worship music..(Contemporary pop),, Now with a musical genre change..I picked up a 16" Sabian AAX ozone. -Les

User Info Menu

I'm with you, Les, I dig those Ozone's. Someday perhaps... I'm not sure how you're defining the stacks, but if you mean stacking one cymbal right on another, then I'm all over it! I've had the same 2 crash stack for over 15 years. The bottom is a 18" K Dark Crash and the top is a 17" Paiste Signature Full crash. Both of them are badly broken with huge chunks missing, but the way they sit on each other works really well. The Signature has a smaller, shallower bell than the K so it gets full movement. They rattle together, sound trashy, and work surprisingly well for both riding and crashing. At this point, I don't use china cymbals at all because I think this arrangement works so well.
    Last edited by Lambaster; 03-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.

User Info Menu

It's a lot of fun stacking. There really is no one way to do it. I've done as many configurations as I can figure out and I have 30+ cymbals. The sound combos are endless. I find that I do not use them all that much. When I'm playing with the fusion/experimental group I use them during "atmosphere" intense segments. I've seen them used well in progressive rock and metal. Just like anything, I'm sure you could make it work for just about whatever you want.
    1971 Ludwig 3-ply Maple 7-piece shell set in Oyster Black Pearl w Supraphonic Snare
    1968 Mica-Sonic Deluxe 9-ply Luan Mahogony 4 piece jazz set in Aqua Satin Flame
    2004 Gretsch Catalina Club Jazz 7-ply Phillipene Mahogony 4 piece in Nitron Marine Pearl
    Lot's of old Zildjian A's, some K's, a few Sabiens, and a few Paiste

User Info Menu

i had a stack which i liked very much - actually i had two. the one was a wuhan traditional 16" crash with a wuhan traditional 10" splash over it. it sounded really good and one can obviously adjust how much sizzle you want with the wingnut. then i changed it (because i wanted to use the crash) and replaced it with a 201 hi hat top which sounded surprisingly great since it's a very gongy cymbal if used as a crash.
    i've always been meaning to experiment with china stacks. i had this idea of getting a 16" wuhan china, put it upside down, and then have an upside down 8" splash over it. make sense?