Thread: Crash/Ride Cymbal?

User Info Menu

Question Crash/Ride Cymbal?

I'm confused. Does crash/ride mean it can be used as a crash or a ride cymbal or do you ride the cymbal by getting a crash sound out of it from every hit like punk rock drummers do?
    Last edited by Nik276; 06-20-2008 at 10:06 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Crash/Ride Cymbal?

Nik, a crash/ride is a cymbal that can be used for either function. I have an 18" Zildjian K Crash/Ride, and I play it as a crash, and as a secondary ride. Great cymbal!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

They are cymbals that are usually medium to medium-heavy in thickness and 18" to 20" in diameter. They have a strong crash quality for something for rock music and a somewhat light ride quality suitable for jazz. They don't nessesarily have to to labled a crash/ride for that application. Most heavier, larger diameter crash cymbals can work good as ride, however, a cymbal that is hand hammered like the Zildjian K crash/ride has that certain ride quality that is appealing. I like them alot. Very versitale for any music. Nice cymbal PB, I used to have the same one and stupidly sold it. I'll get another some day.
    Last edited by jrock; 06-20-2008 at 03:44 AM.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

i like the thought of an 18 k crash ride......mmmmm....you interested in selling it pb....hehehehehhe.....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

crash/ride can be used as a crash or a ride such as a sieres crash ride. there are also crashes like an 18" AA metal-X crash that ride well, and rides like a 20" K custom dark ride that crash well