Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Heels up and down

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Question Heels up and down

    Hi everyone,
    Is it a good idea to learn how to play both heels up and heels down?

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    I'm a heel up guy but speaking from a muscle fitness standpoint I would think that since the techiniques use some different muscles, learning both could improve whichever technique that you use primarily. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of other opinions on this one.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    I'm a heel up guy but speaking from a muscle fitness standpoint I would think that since the techiniques use some different muscles, learning both could improve whichever technique that you use primarily. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of other opinions on this one.
    HOLA COMO ESTAS GREENMONSTER *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT AND ITS A FACT **What ever works for the CREATIVE OPEN MINDED ARTIST is all GREAT within their Own Unique
    Creative (STYLE)(ARTISTRY) within their Journeys GRACIAS

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    i play heels up...takes a while to practice...i teach drum lessons and ive never seen many students embrace the idea off the start...but as their technique and `looseness`around the drums improves, they try it, and say...`thats cool,`...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    depending on which band I am playing with, I use both techniques. I would suggest learing with heel down as its far easier to then go heel up than the other way round!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse


  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    Quote Originally Posted by Nik276 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Is it a good idea to learn how to play both heels up and heels down?
    I would wholeheartedly reccomend learning both. They are both usefull in situations where the other may be less suitable. If we assume that you are unmiked, in for example, a live rock music situation, heel up may be more appropriate because of its greater volume whereas in a piano trio where you are feathering the bass drum under a brush pattern, heel down would probably be more suitable and comfortabel.
    Hope that helps.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    You should as many techinques as you possibly can

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    You should as many techinques as you possibly can
    I agree.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo mk:II View Post
    I would wholeheartedly reccomend learning both. They are both usefull in situations where the other may be less suitable. If we assume that you are unmiked, in for example, a live rock music situation, heel up may be more appropriate because of its greater volume whereas in a piano trio where you are feathering the bass drum under a brush pattern, heel down would probably be more suitable and comfortabel.
    Hope that helps.
    Excellent thoughts Vinny. I would agree that learning both techniques is valuable. On ocassion, I find myself playing the kick with heel up, and the hi-hat with my heel down. I think it's all about just having as many techniques in your hip pocket as you can for when you might need them. Hey, I decide I'm a metal drummer today, but 10 years from now, I might be really into Jazz. As has been said around here many times, be a complete musician first and you'll aways have gigs to play.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.


    Drum Bum: Gifts for Drummers

    Cool Drummer T-shirts and Drum Accessories!

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    All posters to this topic have hit the nail on the head. Both heal up and down have their place and should be practiced equally in my opinion.

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    On ocassion, I find myself playing the kick with heel up, and the hi-hat with my heel down.
    Thats a great little co-ordination exercise right there PB.

    Something I learnt off my teacher when i was taking lessons is to play heel down from time to time as it helps control and balance. Try playing a heel down beat for a few minutes and then play the same beat heel up, you should notice that when you go to heel up, you feel more controlled and balanced.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.


    RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    this thread has been beneficial to me - thanks gentlemen.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Heels up and down

    Quote Originally Posted by r00n View Post
    this thread has been beneficial to me - thanks gentlemen.
    No problem, mate. Thats what this forum should be all about.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •