Thread: decision to make

User Info Menu

Default decision to make

I have an opportunity to work in a new department at work. It's 10 times easier than the department I'm in now which is very appealing, I'm not getting any younger.

The problem is this. My schedule is likely to change. I could end up back on night shift along with different days off. If that was to happen, I'd probably have to quit my current band which I'm really enjoying right now. There is no pay increase or anything, it's just a lighter workload. Everything goes by seniority and this department is high seniority. The department manager told me I'd be borderline for day shift.

I just don't know what to do. I really don't want to quit the band, but I don't want to miss an opportunity at work either. The problem is going back to nights, I can work with everything else like different days off.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: decision to make

Boy, that is a tough one. Any way you can negotiate more money for that new job? Or, get some of the work load off of you in the position you're in now?

User Info Menu

I worked rotating shifts for 34 years(until I retired). It may be harder work but probably healthier to stay on day work. Plus you get to stay in the band. Build up some more seniority and when the old guys start leaving transfer over.
    Last edited by slanddad; 08-17-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

hi Tom, the money is not negotiable and the workload is what it is and unnegotiable

hi Rick, I'm leaning towards staying right now. I think about that saying go with your gut feeling. It may be a gravy job but would I be happy giving up everything else for it. I kind of think I'd end up regretting the move.

thank you guys for reading and telling me your thoughts
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    thank you guys for reading and telling me your thoughts
    Two heads are better than one. In this case, 3 heads, lol. Good luck my brother.