Thread: Snares

User Info Menu

Default Snares

Talk to me a bit about snares...what's the difference in 16, 18, or say, 20 strand snares? How do the affect sound? Also, how tight is "too tight" on snares...how do you know with the drum in "choked"?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snares

It's early Saturday...I meant to type: "how do you know when the drum is choked..."

User Info Menu

There are alot of ways to get a good sound out of your snares. Personally, about the wires, I haven't tried anything more than 20 so I don't know, but I started messing around with the tension on them and I enjoyu now that deep throaty tone when the wires are loosened as opposed to having them tight and snappy. I'm not sure how many people this applies to on here, but I thought most of us agreed to a tighter batter sounding better (catchy huh? lol). I've always kept my heads fully tightened on the top and semi-tight on the bottom. Your drum may sound choked if you tighten the reso too much, and you'll know by either a sizzle after the attack or a hig ringy overtone, or just little attack at all.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

bgary, you can edit your post by hitting the "edit" button and making any changes you need. Just an FYI.

Snare strands: Don't worry about this too much. The differences are minimal.

The "choked" sound on the snare more often than not comes from the snares on the bottom being tightened too tight.