Thread: live music

User Info Menu

Default live music

I went out in my town last night to check out a band at this new place. A quick synopsis. it was a 3 pc. Guitar, bass drums. You could really tell that haven't played together long. There was hardly any "communication" within the band. Keep in mind, I have never met these people. The guitarist was also singing. He was actually good. Not flashy, but right on. My attention was focused on the true talent of the band. A 28 yr old drummer. Like, WOW! I will say kid, because I have some years on him, and he looked very young. He was really awesome to watch. Great timing, and he really played his 9 pc really well. I did meet him and talk to him after the first set. He was the most sociable of the 3. He played a Tama kit. He said it was bought in the late 80's. It sounded really good. Toms were 10,12 and 14 mounted. It really made me think and evaluate my playing. I really enjoyed his playing. The only downfall was the bass player. I thought we could converse about gear and technique and influences. He was, IMO very stuck up. But, ya know what? He was the worst player. He was slow at changes, sometimes just sitting on one note when the progression called for others. I never told him anything. Maybe I should've, after meeting his Personality, but I was kind. Why do people act like that? I don't want to brag, but I could play circles around him. But enough bad energy! The drummer really inspired me today.

User Info Menu

Default Re: live music

Glad to see you're consciouss of bad energy BLD. Yes, it is frustrating when you look forward to meeting someone and they've got ego or personality issues. The cool thing is... you recognize that we can't let people "steal our joy", as I've heard people put it in the past. Either way, you got to hang with the drummer and talk shop, and be inspired. - Cool.

User Info Menu

Sometimes, BLD, Like wants to be with Like. I've met a few people like that which always left me Cold. The guy you described was probably a jerk or maybe just had a bad day. I wonder, though, it he knew you to be a bass player rather than a drummer. But, as I think about it, you probably introduced yourself and the guy just didn't care enough to be sociable. Do you think he thought you were after his gig?

User Info Menu

I didn't tell him right off the bat that I was a bassist. He wasn't very friendly at the get go. Bad day? maybe, give the benefit of the doubt. Me, I never show anyone my bad day, especially when I am doing something I enjoy. That's what usually makes the bad day not so bad.
    Our band practice yesterday went really well. We worked on 2 new songs. They came out really good. There was a real good "buzz" in the band room. We all had a blast!

User Info Menu

I like that "Buzz"

User Info Menu

Yeah, could have been a bad day.....since you said that he was off, maybe he was aware of that and just didn't know the songs well enough and it bothered him. Or maybe he's just not a very sociable person. You meet that type in all walks of life, not just musicians. It's really his loss.

Glad to hear about the practice....I get pumped when my band "nails" new songs too, especially when they're ones that I enjoy playing!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Yeh Bld, just put it down to experience, I just played a pretty big festival this weekend and there was a pretty good young drummer performing, I tried to chat with him after his performance and he was a bit stuck up to say the least, even worse was the faces of disapproval he made to his band members as other less experienced bands were performing. [not cool] He did get owned though by the end of the day. Humble pie,is not soo tastey. Hopefully he will live and learn.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I didn't tell him right off the bat that I was a bassist. He wasn't very friendly at the get go. Bad day? maybe, give the benefit of the doubt. Me, I never show anyone my bad day, especially when I am doing something I enjoy. That's what usually makes the bad day not so bad.
    Our band practice yesterday went really well. We worked on 2 new songs. They came out really good. There was a real good "buzz" in the band room. We all had a blast!
    Great stuff!

Every now and then I find that I have a practise which just stands out. Usually when finally nailing a new piece together and getting it ready to play properly. Makes you really look forward to gigs! Hehe
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Sometimes, BLD, Like wants to be with Like. I've met a few people like that which always left me Cold. The guy you described was probably a jerk or maybe just had a bad day. I wonder, though, it he knew you to be a bass player rather than a drummer. But, as I think about it, you probably introduced yourself and the guy just didn't care enough to be sociable. Do you think he thought you were after his gig?
    HOLA COMO ESTAS FIACOVAZ *FRANK* MI AMIGO *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) Si he probably was just like you stated A (QUAC)(JERK) UN-AWARE (QUACK CLOSE MIND *AND THATS the WORST *
    GRACIAS AND I met alot them within all my PERFORMING JOURNEYS as we all HAVE **GRACIAS