Thread: What would you say to a drummer who wants to quit?

User Info Menu

Unhappy What would you say to a drummer who wants to quit?

You may have seen my references to my teen-age bongo-playing buddy (the one with whom I've jammed for a couple years and who has appeared with me in those comical "Latin Night" concerts in which something goes wrong).

I found out this week that he's wanting to sell his drums and quit drumming entirely. This blows me away because he's studied percussion since he was six years of age and has played regularly for his church's group...and until about six months ago, he was gung-ho for drumming.

I understand he's planning to marry by next year, and he's worried about how he's going to make enough money to start his family...but personally I think he's making the biggest darn mistake a dude could make...he's extremely talented and has had an awesome ministry for a guy his age, and I hate to see him throw it all away!

What would you say to him?

I'm praying he'll change his mind...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I would tell him that God gave him the gift of rhythm and he should consider staying with it.
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

I wouldnt tell him anything
    I know he'll be back sooner or later, sometimes people need to do what they gotta do. even if it seems stupid in other peoples eyes.
    LucidDrummer212, Taking over the drumchat forums 1 post at a time...

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

I would tell him to keep on drumming...
    but if he really doesnt want to drum anymore than whatever..
    lol maybel lucids right, maybe he will come back lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

if he loves it like everyone says then he will

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

well of course pray about it, ask god what you should do, and if he does decide to quit Lucid's right a true drummer cannot quit drumming entirely because it runs in their veins, after a while he will begin to miss out and most likely take it up again.
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

yeah.. kinda weird though..
    who wants to quit drumming? lol I dont.. im gonna keep drumming for as long as I can.. I luv it soo much, it puts me out of my boredom (lol) and music is the best thing in my life.. who would want to give that up?
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

but yeah amps right, if hes a true drummer, he will come back... it runs in his veins.. lol not to copy exactly what you said but I liked it.. lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

sometimes life leads you on a different path and you have to give up what is most important to you

myspace.com/rdsspike345

User Info Menu

but if your really meant to drum, then you'll drum.
    If drumming is really what hes supposed to do then he'll come back.
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I started playing music when I was 4 (Grandma forced me to learn the piano, bless her soul) and learned how to play a variety of instruments by the time I was a teenager. I played in a few bands and started seriously recording music by the time I was 20. Then it happened. I met a woman and life was better than ever. I surfed, played in a band, had a great job, and was going to get married. I got married at 23 and then she decided to try and take control and gave me the ultimatum. Music or her. I made the biggest mistake of my life right then and chose her. I quit the band, got rid of all my instruments, and pretty much gave up on life and happiness. I tried with everything I had inside me to make things work, but without making music, I was only a shell of the person I really am. Well, I was happily divorced about 5 years later and immediately started writing music again. I am more active than ever in the music scene as I feel I must make up for the "lost" years. I wish I could go back in time so I could have made a better decision, but I can't and I have to make the best of it now.

Sorry, that went a little longer than I probably should have, but I am just trying to make a point from my own lifes experience. You can stop playing and say you quit, but after playing for any period of time, the music becomes part of your soul and you will never be the same without it.

Bongobro, your friend might quit playing now, but he will soon feel the emptiness of what was once there. He will be back and when he does start playing again, it will be with a renewed passion that he never had before.

I wish you the best of luck in talking to him and I wish him the best of luck in making the right decision!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

i tried to quit once....to play bass....was not pretty...not that i cant play bass just i would get annoyed cause my lead git would tri to play drums and sing....and do it horridly.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

tell him if he quits hes bassicaly throwing alot of years of hard work away, and that he shouldnt have started if he was gonna quit
    Eskimos

User Info Menu

wow 1DB, great story..
    lol if I ever make a thread saying I want to quit, make sure and tell me not to!!
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

To be honest i think its terrible that he's deciding 2 give it all up but if he's trying 2 raise a family soon and doesn't think he's making enough money through the music scene i think thts fair enough. However i don't think he should give drums up altogether i mean it can be a hobby.

User Info Menu

if he quits drumming he will regret it for life! for God sake he went to school for this. He says he wanna get money, why can't he use drumming? Anyway if he has passion for drumming he will come back and we all will sing a welcome back song for- ill be the drummer lol. But seriously, he will come back!