Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what heads do you use?

User Info Menu

Default what heads do you use?

Name your heads and what you think of them......

snare batter-Remo coated CS w/ power dot-great head i reccomend it to hard hitters

tom batters-Remo clear pinestripes- i tuned, they sound really good now
    Kick batter- Remo coated Powerstroke 3- okay head i wish it was deeper though, a lot better than the stock head,
    Last edited by DeathMetalDrummer; 06-29-2008 at 05:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: what heads do you use?

Last edited by DeathMetalDrummer; 06-29-2008 at 05:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Evans EC2 they rock.

User Info Menu

Hmmm...
    Toms - on the batter side I have Pinstripes and on the resonant side I have Emperors, odd combination but it gives me what I want.

Snares - Coated Emperor on the 12'' Ludwig, Coated Ambassador on the 14'' Rogers, Clear Controlled Sound on the 14'' Leedy, and Powersonic 3 with clear dot on the Sonor. All have Ambassador Hazy on the resonant side.

Roto toms - Controlled sound.

Bass drum - Stock resonant side head, Powersonic bass on the batter side.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

is it me or do evans heads sound kinda pingy????
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jguzman361 View Post
    Yeah they do! When I first got my set they had Evans Genera G2 on them and I replaced them with my Remos right away. For a while I had an Evans on my Ludwig snare and it sounded atrocious.
    It's a classic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jd09 View Post
    Yeah they do! When I first got my set they had Evans Genera G2 on them and I replaced them with my Remos right away. For a while I had an Evans on my Ludwig snare and it sounded atrocious.
    yea my friend has g2's on his kit, and i didn't like the sound.

thank god i got pinstripes
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

Same here. I love my Pinstripes.
    It's a classic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    Name your heads and what you think of them......

snare batter-Remo coated CS w/ power dot-great head i reccomend it to hard hitters

tom batters-Remo clear pinestripes- sound like crap it could be beacuse of my poor tuning skills though i'll have to tune later today

Kick batter- Remo coated Powerstroke 3- okay head i wish it was deeper though, a lot better than the stock head,
    HOLA COMO ESTAS DEATHMETALDRUMMER*CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) I use On my SNARES REMO AMBASSADOR COATED,&
    DIPLOMATS,FIBER -SKINS* ON My TOMS REMO AMBASSADOR CLEAR& MY BASS DRUMS REMO POWER-STROKES * I love the ACTUAL TONES & TEXTURES I can CREATE With these HEADS * ,WHAT EVER WORKS FOR THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST within their Own UNIQUE CREATIVE (STYLE-ARTISTRY ) is All GREAT Within their JOURNEYS within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM**GRACIAS

User Info Menu

I use DW drumheads by Remo on my toms, they are designed specifically to John Goods specs,These heads are absolutely fantastic.
    I use Super Kick 2 on my Kick drum, never heard a better head on my kick and I have tried them all.
    Remo controlled sound snare drum heads with power center dot, great head, similar to the Emporer X, but just a single ply.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

i use ec2 on my toms, evans black resonant on the resonant heads, evans ec snare on the resonant head...you gotta tune them right to get your right sound...i like remo`s too...

its kinda like pepsi and coke...some day you drink pepsi, some days you drink coke....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

I use Evans Hydraulic Glass Batters and Evans Genera Glass Resos. On the snare I'm trying a Remo Controlled Sound with a Hazy 300 Snare-side.

User Info Menu

Evan's EC2 coated on the toms with aquarian studio rings, sound very low with almost no overtone, super kick 2 on the kick drum, very deep thud and Evan's Dry on the snare, very loud crack with absolutly no overtone at all.

User Info Menu

only evans heads i use is the emad2 on my bass and the HD dry on the snare,14". reso heads are ebony ambassador, and batter heads are all ebony pinstripes. i had three different types of evans heads before, g2's ,ec1's and ec2's and didn't like any of them. remo is my brand. i have an 8",10", roto toms, and then 10",12",13",14",16" toms. the 14" is actually the vinnie paul snare with an ebony pinstripe and the snare wires taken off.i wanted to put the drum to more use.
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

kick - remo ps3 batter ,stock mapex res with an aquarian port hole - sounds perfect in the right room

snare - remo ambo batter , remo res - just the best setup

side snare - remo ps3 coated , remo res - popcorn fun

toms - evans hydraulics batter, remo res

need some new res heads for my whole kit but they work for now
    Last edited by itchie; 01-04-2009 at 08:35 PM.

User Info Menu

I'm putting Remo Pinstripes on the toms of my Mapex M Birch soon, but I was wondering if I should put a different head on my 10" tom, because of the higher pitch. Any comments?
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

snare - coated g1 over 300 hazy.
    toms - clear g2s over clear g1s.
    kick - emad batter diplomat weight remo FS reso.

my current band has me playing louder than usual or i would be using coated g1s on tom batters. i like alot of ring, sustain and tone. i cant stand self muffling heads that make drums sound like tuned cardboard boxes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    I'm putting Remo Pinstripes on the toms of my Mapex M Birch soon, but I was wondering if I should put a different head on my 10" tom, because of the higher pitch. Any comments?
    I don't know what head you'd put on there that would compliment the pinstripes on the other drums. If you were using Evans you could look at EC2's and then put an EC1 on the 10".

In the past I've used Emperors on my 12/14/16 toms and an Ambassador on the 10. Sounded great.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

Larrysperf Guest

Evans EC2 on all toms, have genara on Maple snare Remo coated Ambassador on metel snare, G1 reso NUFF SAIDSuperkick11 on kick

User Info Menu

Normally I use all Evans...G2 coated over G1s for toms, Genera Dry for snare batter over Hazy 300. Emad 2 for kick and the reso varies.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

bass - clear PS3 or SK1 on batter side and Regulator w/4" offset hole on reso

toms - ambassador resos (preferably ebony, mostly for looks though) and clear pinstripe batters, but I might try a round of emperors on the batter side next time

snare - I'll get back to you when I find the right combo... for each snare I have... don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by jguzman361 View Post
    There's something about them that I don't like... that may be it...
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

i have ordered for my tom the evans genera g2 coated and ive got a remo (don'y know which one) for my snare an a remo (also dont know) for my bass drum.

User Info Menu

Coated Remo Ambassadors all the way! However I'm looking into the Aquarian American Vintage for my 60s Gretsch kick.

User Info Menu

Remo clear emporers on all toms, Remo coated emporer on the snare, Aquarian super kick II on bass drum.

User Info Menu

I use Evans Hydrualics on my Toms

and the stock head on the Bass and Snare

The snare sounds great with the stock head, and the toms sound un real with hydrualics

M Birch
    -Steven