Thread: Tom mounts (I think)

User Info Menu

Question Tom mounts (I think)

Hello everybody! I'm just getting into the world of drumming, but I want to do it right. I've been around music for a long time, I play guitar, bass, and percussion in the school band. So I just bought a 4-piece kit last week, and I'm looking to upgrade it sometime in the near future. My first concern is (what I think is called) the tom mount. Anyway, the piece that runs from the bass drum up to the tom is weak, and the drum will not stay in place very well. It just sorta hangs on top of the bass drum. That's okay for now, but eventually I'm gonna want the freedom to do with it as I please. Do they make replacement parts for this? How much would it run me?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom mounts (I think)

You can buy good tom stands for a little over $100.

User Info Menu

Okay, I searched using "tom stand" instead of "tom mount", then found "tom arm" in a related search, and found what I need. A Gibralter Hex Ball L-Style Tom Arm, for $29.99.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BakkuShan View Post
    Okay, I searched using "tom stand" instead of "tom mount", then found "tom arm" in a related search, and found what I need. A Gibralter Hex Ball L-Style Tom Arm, for $29.99.

Thanks.
    I'm not sure if that is correct or not. Hex Ball to me, means that the actual tom arm is hex shaped or multi-sided. Will your Ludwig tom mount fit that? I know they work with SONOR and Mapex, just not sure with Ludwig. You may want to opt for one that isn't "sided" but fully rounded, if that makes sense.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I think I see what you mean. The down tube on my kit is round, but the one on the Gibraltar has flat sides. It's hard to tell from the photos, but I found another one that is definitely round. I'll head out to a shop sometime later and look a little more in-depth on this. Thanks for the heads-up.

User Info Menu

the easiest way is get hold of an old snare drum stand from somewhere and use that to hold the tom - many a drummer has done this over the years!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Dustin has the right idea...it's fairly inexpensive and you have the flexibility of setting it where you want it. Bish is correct about the tom mounting...not everything is going to fit every set.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    the easiest way is get hold of an old snare drum stand from somewhere and use that to hold the tom - many a drummer has done this over the years!
    thats the best suggestion ive seen so far...its old school, and it works great...done it myself....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Tom mounts (I think)

I Agree Wif Da Masses Snare Stands Are Excellent Tom Holders...do It Myself For Timbales And A 12" Rototom On My Current Kit
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've seen that too, but it's close to the right spot now, just that the hardware is old and junky anyway. Eventually I plan on adding a 10" tom via snare stand, and a new tom arm would keep the clutter down.