Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Snare Buzz

User Info Menu

Default Snare Buzz

I can't stand snare buzz...I have to tune my snare side way up to get rid of the buzz. Then my snare sounds kind of choked. I am using a Remo ambassador on the snare side and a coated emperor on the batter. I tried pitching my tome diffent ways. It's really only y 10" tom that is the culprit. Anyone have any good solutions for getting rid of that ring???? Should I look into new snare wires? I still have the stock wires. I'm using the Gretsch Catalina Maple 14X6 that came with the kit by the way..

Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare Buzz

I wouldnt mind the buzz its just that your snare is tuned close to your tom. Its not wurth changing your tune if you like the note your at because nobody can hear the buzz while your playing except you because your right next to it. If you find a way to keep your sound but lose the noise thats great but really dont sweat the buzz.

User Info Menu

try moon gell

User Info Menu

Got it! I loosened the lugs on both sides of the snare wires, and it's gone. I read that in some article and it worked. You just have to tighten the other lugs a bit to compensate, but the snare sounds great now after a bit of tweaking...

User Info Menu

hey acq1, i am having the same problem that u were having. u said tht u loosened the lugs on the snare wires, and u have to tighten the other lugs, what other lugs are u talking about? the ones for the snare head or what ? thanks

User Info Menu

I love snare buzz...

User Info Menu

i have a little snare buzz it gives it character and it's not such a dead sound

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    hey acq1, i am having the same problem that u were having. u said tht u loosened the lugs on the snare wires, and u have to tighten the other lugs, what other lugs are u talking about? the ones for the snare head or what ? thanks
    Pretend this is the Reso(nant)/Bottom head on your snare.

What acq1 did, was he loostened the red lugs, and tightened the blue ones to compensate for it. It should help with the buzzz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Roober View Post
    Pretend this is the Reso(nant)/Bottom head on your snare.

What acq1 did, was he loostened the red lugs, and tightened the blue ones to compensate for it. It should help with the buzzz.

EXACTLY!!!

I like snare buzz too, but only when I'm playing my snare.. When I hit my tome i liek to hear just those...

User Info Menu

Thank You Little Roober!!! u couldnt have said it any better!! I appreciate it!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

And acq1 im with u! i only like to hear snare buzz when i hit my snare! not my toms!
    being a succesful musician has nothing to do with being signed, popular or making alot of money. It has to do with making great music.

User Info Menu

Little Roober, i tried wat u were sayin buy it didnt work, so i switched it around and tightened the red ones and loosened the blue ones! it works!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by justinmill14 View Post
    Little Roober, i tried wat u were sayin buy it didnt work, so i switched it around and tightened the red ones and loosened the blue ones! it works!
    Sort of a tuning thing, wouldn't you say?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

yep lol thanks guys

User Info Menu

to be honest i like the buzz with my toms to a certain extent. It gives it a fuller extent and if I am doing something like a tom solo then I can afford one second to turn off the snare to keep it from buzzing.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

yeah a lil bit of snare buzz is fine, but when the snare buzz is just as loud as ur toms, its not

User Info Menu

snare buzz is nice...its your friend...its part of the kit...besides, you cant hear it in the audience with a miked kit....i find my drums sound 'naked' without it...

My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

i guess its ok, but i only like it when there is a little bit, not to much

User Info Menu

I've learned to love the buzz. It buzzes a little but when the band starts playing I won't even notice it(maybe im too busy making a drumface)
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

i jus dont see how everyone likes the buzz, well maybe i will eventually cause im gonna have to get used to it lol

User Info Menu

I never cared for the Buzz and have worked hard at eliminating it. My snare is 44 years old...in excellent condition. I've tried loosening the adjacent lugs and tightening the others and still didn't do much good. A few months ago, the reso head had torn, it was old, and I brought the drum in to my local drum dealer. Tim looked it over and pointed out a couple of snare wires had warped and were starting to to come loose. He replaced the reso head with the Remo "Hazy" reso. It is a bit thicker than the torn head. He then talked to me about replacing the snares with a newer set and I approved it. I went from a 20 strand snare to a 30 strand Puresound Metrix. As he sat the new reso head, Tim caringly installed each of the tension lugs, finger tightening to the point a drum key was necessary. Quarter turn by quarter turn, he tuned each one alternately across the drum until he was satisfied. What caught my attention was that the reso head was actually tuned looser than what I had always done myself. He explained that the tighter the reso head to more sensitive to ambient noise. When he finished, I played on the drum and wasn't at all sure that I liked it. I had never heard my snare sound like this. With his urging, I took the drum home and worked with it and then played it on several gigs. It's fantastic!! No buzzing and a crisp response to my playing. I returned to the store a few weeks later and told Tim that I had fallen in love with my drum all over again. To which he said that was the greatest thing that he could ever want to hear.

User Info Menu

thats pretty cool ill try it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    I never cared for the Buzz and have worked hard at eliminating it. My snare is 44 years old...in excellent condition. I've tried loosening the adjacent lugs and tightening the others and still didn't do much good. A few months ago, the reso head had torn, it was old, and I brought the drum in to my local drum dealer. Tim looked it over and pointed out a couple of snare wires had warped and were starting to to come loose. He replaced the reso head with the Remo "Hazy" reso. It is a bit thicker than the torn head. He then talked to me about replacing the snares with a newer set and I approved it. I went from a 20 strand snare to a 30 strand Puresound Metrix. As he sat the new reso head, Tim caringly installed each of the tension lugs, finger tightening to the point a drum key was necessary. Quarter turn by quarter turn, he tuned each one alternately across the drum until he was satisfied. What caught my attention was that the reso head was actually tuned looser than what I had always done myself. He explained that the tighter the reso head to more sensitive to ambient noise. When he finished, I played on the drum and wasn't at all sure that I liked it. I had never heard my snare sound like this. With his urging, I took the drum home and worked with it and then played it on several gigs. It's fantastic!! No buzzing and a crisp response to my playing. I returned to the store a few weeks later and told Tim that I had fallen in love with my drum all over again. To which he said that was the greatest thing that he could ever want to hear.
    Man, that story is ROJO CALIENTE!!!

Almost brought a tear to my eye. Well ok it did. Sue me.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

And it is true...I have fallen in love with my drums all over again. Upgraded hardware, better quality cymbals and drum heads, brought these vintage Ludwigs right to the forefront. And you know something, when you have a set sounding like you want it to, it's a lot more fun practicing.

User Info Menu

(Psst, Bish...I'm starting to close in on #1,000)...