Thread: blisters

User Info Menu

Default blisters

i have a bunch of blisters on my hands and fingers from , drumming, they are sore, and it hurts to drum, has this happened to anyone else? what can i do to prevent it agian?

User Info Menu

Default Re: blisters

What kind of sticks do you use? I tried Promark unfinished sticks and they gave me abunch of blisters. How tight do you grip the sticks? I play very loosly. You might also want to try drummers gloves. Do you play match grip or traditional? I was holding the sticks tight before and used alot of wrist movement. I bought the JoJo Mayer DVD awhile back and since I have been playing using some of his techniques I haven't got a blister yet. Good luck. I hope they heal up so you can start playing again. You can try a product called moleskin. I used it to protect my blisters when I had some and wanted to play. You can find it in the foot care section of your grocery or drug store. You can cut it to the desired size and it sticks to the skins and it's easy to peel off once your done.

User Info Menu

I almost forgot. There's a product called liquid skin. It's a plastic type of liquid that you apply with a little brush. I dries quickly and works pretty well at protective blisters. Just make sure you don't apply it to a open blister. It stings like a you know what!!!! It can be found where the store has band-aids. If your blister is open but dried out you can use it.
    Hope this helps.

User Info Menu

yes...ive had blisters....usually what happens is my hands get moist, (sweat) then blisters begin to form.

blisters turn to callouses, and once your hands get calloused, blisters wont happen as often. i find when im playing regularly, no blisters happen ever. if i take a week off, blisters happen.

neil peart has this little fan mounted on his kit that he uses to remove moisture from his hands...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    yes...ive had blisters....usually what happens is my hands get moist, (sweat) then blisters begin to form.

blisters turn to callouses, and once your hands get calloused, blisters wont happen as often. i find when im playing regularly, no blisters happen ever. if i take a week off, blisters happen.

neil peart has this little fan mounted on his kit that he uses to remove moisture from his hands...
    I used to get blisters until the callous formed. Now, never. Just play through the pain. If you bleed, you've gone too far.

And with this post, I'm not a junior member anymore!! Woohoo!!!
    Last edited by Little Roober; 06-23-2008 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Bragging Rights..lol

User Info Menu

congrats....just had that milestone....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    i have a bunch of blisters on my hands and fingers from , drumming, they are sore, and it hurts to drum, has this happened to anyone else? what can i do to prevent it agian?
    You should be more concerned about your ears. If you're playing hard enough to have blisters, chances are the volume is also extremely loud (I've been there). I'm not kidding when I say "wear ear protection". I have a loud ringing in my ears as we speak and I often have ear pain. It's not fun. I wish I could go back and do it over again.

User Info Menu

Make sure you're holding your sticks right. My left hand is fine. But my right hand is just messy, I had a huge blood blister on my middle finger, and when I was playing I had little control over my sticks...didn't take me too long to put 2 and 2 together. Make sure you're holding them in the fulcrum.

Oh, and if it persists, wear drumming gloves. Because they're awesome.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

I got my first blister about a week ago, on my thumb. I got it while working out on my practice pad.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    You should be more concerned about your ears. If you're playing hard enough to have blisters, chances are the volume is also extremely loud (I've been there). I'm not kidding when I say "wear ear protection". I have a loud ringing in my ears as we speak and I often have ear pain. It's not fun. I wish I could go back and do it over again.
    I wear ear protection when i play

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DeathMetalDrummer View Post
    When you get blister, it is usually caused by bad hand technique. I would recommend taking a thourogh look at your hand technique, and getting a teacher whop could help you correct it if possible.
    Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

ok i have tried this before but all i got was "gloves are for pansies" so I will try again. Where do you get drumming gloves?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Pansy department? J/K

I see them advertised at most on line dealers or I believe I've seen some at GC.

Also, Harley-Davidson motor clothing apparel makes some very soft leather fingertipless gloves that work well, at least in my experience.
    Last edited by Bish; 06-25-2008 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cool Re: blisters

Don't forget to check DrumBum, DMD!

I had problems with blisters when I first started playing set, and as I learned how to hold the sticks properly, the problem went away.

Vinny, excellent suggestion on checking with your teacher...

I know some hand drummers (Pancho Sanchez in particular) tape their fingers before they play. IMHO, if you don't tape the fingers well, you either cut off the circulation (too tight) or the tape comes off as you play (too loose). I have nicely-callused hands now and the only time I have problems is when I slap the drums too hard...

...but if you're playing hard or long enough to get blisters (or in my case, bruises), you better throttle back a bit...it's a different kind of "overplaying" we're talking here, man...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

Shazane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    This is true, your hands become conditioned to the sticks if you practice as much as you should, I never really thought about it until you posted this, but I haven't had blisters in months

User Info Menu

I've gotten blisters from wearing rings while playing. Definitely a no no.

User Info Menu

I used to get blisters every single time I played. And I swam twice a day so even if I could manage to build a callous it would be soaked back to the usual girlie hand softness I had prior to playing.

I tried gloves. All gloves do is change the places you get blisters. Oh, they also kill your feel for the sticks.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Ooops, forgot to mention blister fixes...

Loosen your grip. It worked for me.

Also, if you get one just cut it off and wrap that section of your finger in electrical tape. It doesn't hurt and it acts as a new layer of skin. If you get a blister on the palm of your hand, too freakin' bad. Try that Nu-Skin or whatever.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47