Thread: Grip

User Info Menu

Default Grip

So I have a new drum teacher and he wants me to use the french grip and right now i use the german grip for holding the drum sticks heres an example of what those are if you not sure with the name: http://www.drumcentral.com/icstickholding.htm

Everything i've read about the two makes the french grip sound really good where u sacrifice some power for speed and finesse but it very difficult for me to do right now but i will learn i guess. Anyways i also heard its not very popular for the drum set but my teacher said it is easier my question is which matched grip do you guys use, or where taught to use ... thanks!

Also do you think i should switch grips if i have been playing one way for around 3 or so years? I remember when i first learned the german grip is was comfortable and easy this one is very akward and feels like i have no control but all in due time i guess... would just like some opinions please =D
    Last edited by Eons; 10-22-2006 at 09:20 AM.

User Info Menu

do whatever works for you.....there are different grips because different ones work better for different people...your teacher is wrong to say that you should use one just because it's popular....use what is best for you and only you can know that.

User Info Menu

I use the german grip.. wait. was that the first one?
    whatever the first one was, thats the one I use.. lol
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

i use french grip...dint know i used it but if that pictures right then i use french grip... ive never even see someone play that other way...no offense if you do. just ive never see it.
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

I only use the german grip when I'm practicing on a pad. Otherwise, like on a set I use the regular grip. You shouldn't use a certain kind of grip because it's popular or because a lot of people are comfy with it. Do whatever suits you best.

User Info Menu

I use the German grip.
    It looks like the only difference is turning your wrists out for the french.
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

That is the only difference

P.S. i use german
    MY KIT: 5 Piece Westbury, Remo Ambassador Heads and Remo Muff'l Rings on all drums, Sabian AA 20" Metal-X Ride, Zildjian ZXT 16" Rock Crash, Pearl 14" Hats, Pearl 18" Crash Ride, Wuhan 12" China

Band Website:

The Torpedo Identity

http://www.myspace.com/thetorpedoidentity
    http://www.purevolume.com/blacksunn

User Info Menu

Get a grip will you. Ha-ha
    Drummer Chicks Rule

User Info Menu

I've practiced all three ways and I'm mostly comfortable with german.