Thread: Vintage treatment

User Info Menu

Default Vintage treatment

I'm about to take a few mins to explain the situation, and some of you might actually shed a tear lol.

Below are pictures of my very first drum set. I got this about 6 months ago from a friend who thought that i should take up drumming. Being a beautiful metallic blue set of drums complete with symbols i decided to sit down and try them out. I really enjoyed playing these (not really know what i was doing lol but you get the point). So i made up my mind to pay for a couple starter lessons.

*story*
    One long day after coming home from work, my gf's sister decided that she would let her boyfriend and his punk rock band practice at the house. I didn't think much about it till i heard them playing my drumset (i'm sure most of you would flip like i did if you found random people playing your set without your permission). To continue, I woke up the next morning with a beat stuck in my head, i had to try to play it. I went down stairs and my drumset was GONE! Every last piece of it taken from my very practice spot. I yelled and screamed at my gf's sister begging her to get it back! She talked to her bf and his buddies decided to return it like a true punk rockers would :(

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308001.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308005.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308004.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308008.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308002.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308007.jpg
    http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/k...e/62308006.jpg

*after the fact and question of mine*
    So, today after getting them back i found out there a vintage late 50's early 60's penncrest set. I really loved the older style look of this set and was thinking about restoring them but i'm not sure what to do or if i can.

If anyone can look at the pics and tell me if they are restorable that would be awsome! or else i can part it out if anyone needs parts or anything on here. Please let me know guys thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vintage treatment

MS, let me see if I understand this correctly. The punk rockers came into your home, played on your kit without your permission, stole your kit, and then returned it in a thrashed condition (missing tension rods, broken heads, etc.)? Is that correct? If I understand correctly, then they weren't punk rockers, they were just punks. I really hope that I'm misunderstanding somehow.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Are you freekin kidding me?! That's rediculous! The Gf's sister would be paying for a whole new set if it were me! I call BS...Good luck with the restoration project..Some people's kids

ThePloughman Guest

Time to hunt somebody down son. They owe you about 200.00 for heads. Sadly, your pencrest set is probably worth the price of putting heads on it.

User Info Menu

O_O, that's just sad. Seriously I would seriously want to have a good talk with them.
    Last edited by Roger; 06-24-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Horrible comment.

User Info Menu

As long as the shells are in good condition they can be restored. You can always find wraps, hardware, hoops etc. etc. I would suggest taking a drum to a reputable music store where a drum tech might be able to identify the wood. As for your girl friend and this incredible story...it's a lesson learned hard, not everything or everyone is as you would like them to be. The question I have is, in who's house were your drums stored? Sounded like your gf's house and , if that's the case, what on earth for?

ThePloughman Guest

The wood is Luan. three or four plies, super thick plies, fairly heavy shell. Pencrest was another Japanese import stencil kits sold in the 60s. There really is no vintage value other than sentimental, or super excellenct condition and or really rad cool looking wrap.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ManaStalker View Post
    *story*
    One long day after coming home from work, my gf's sister decided that she would let her boyfriend and his punk rock band practice at the house. I didn't think much about it till i heard them playing my drumset (i'm sure most of you would flip like i did if you found random people playing your set without your permission). To continue, I woke up the next morning with a beat stuck in my head, i had to try to play it. I went down stairs and my drumset was GONE! Every last piece of it taken from my very practice spot. I yelled and screamed at my gf's sister begging her to get it back! She talked to her bf and his buddies decided to return it like a true punk rockers would :(
    I am truly speechless. You probably don't want to know what I would do......it would likely involve the second half of your screen name...
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    I am truly speechless. You probably don't want to know what I would do......it would likely involve the second half of your screen name...
    Uh, ur not alone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Jesus Christ! - a smack in the face is well in order for said (so called) punk rockers!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies everyone, i did happen to take it up to the drum tech at a local shop here and he said the same thing that ploughman did. It's not gonna be worth it. But at the same time he said he'd give me some $$ for the things that weren't broke (hardware mainly) and put them towards store credit. So i smell new lessons or a pdp double bass pedal in my future LOL.

User Info Menu

guess i'm just trying to say - atleast something positive maybe coming from the whole experience

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ManaStalker View Post
    guess i'm just trying to say - atleast something positive maybe coming from the whole experience
    well now u know not to let ur gf's sister's boyfriend's band practice on ur drums
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

Way to make lemonaide from the lemons MS! Hang in there, and tell your girlfriend's sister that she needs to find new friends!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Jesus Christ! - a smack in the face is well in order for said (so called) punk rockers!

I am not a violent person - more a lover than a fighter but I still stand by previous statement!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Anyone that would disrespect someones else's drums (property) like that is a first class piece of crap in my view and they need to seriously have their attitude adjusted physically in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Mana , I really feel bad for ya .

I would think twice before letting you gf's sister back in while youre not home .

Good luck .

User Info Menu

Wow, that bites hard. If you really want to trade them in, I would suggest cleaning them up a bit. Take it all apart, run some steel wool over the chrome, maybe polish, I don't know. You might get more store credit for clean parts then dirty parts.

ThePloughman Guest

People who steel wool chrome go to hell.

Thats the absolute worst thing you can do. Unless of course its a rust bucket already. Never run steel wool on chrome.

User Info Menu

Oh man... That really sucks, I almost did cry. I'm going to have to be careful in the future. A lot of the kids in my backyard neighborhood area are like all 7ish right now. So when I'm in college, and if I go to U.K. which is right in town(Lexington) well my drums will be here. Gonna have to take precautions now...

ThePloughman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    People who steel wool chrome go to hell.

Thats the absolute worst thing you can do. Unless of course its a rust bucket already. Never run steel wool on chrome.
    To elaborate.

I collect vintage Rogers 1960's, 70's, and early 80's, among other brands. Chrome does not like steel wool. Painters use steel wool to dull down lacquer between coats, as an alternative to fine sandpaper. Basically, using steel wool on your chromed metal parts is the equivalent of using sandpaper on them. Sure, they make steel wool in very fine grades, 000, 0000 superfine. However, the truth still remains, you are scratching that finish to make a shine. That shine might look real good from ten feet, or twenty feet away, but up close, and the pics wont lie....... I can tell when a vintage drum has been cleaned with steel wool. The difference between a bright shiney 350 dollar 1977 Rogers Dynasonic COB drum......... and 100.00 worth of parts might just be the fact the current owner decided to clean off 30 years of dusty grime with steel wool. Sure that drum is going to look clean, because it used to be dirty, but its not going to be clean with all those scratches on it. In fact....... its now ruined.

So just imagine some 1920s gold plated Ludwig covered in 70 years of dust gets magically dropped into your hands...... youve got a five thousand dollar drum. Or....... you have a ruined, formerly valuable vintage piece which becomes an unshining example of how not to clean any drum.

Steel wool should be your absolute last resort. Rusty chrome, something of no value, something that doesnt matter, rust on stand parts. There are plenty of places and times it might be the only thing left to use. But not on anything that matters or is meant to look good. With the vintage hot rod car market so widespread, its not like you cant find really good altermatives to steel wool in non abrasive cleaners and cremes that would not be harmful to a drum shell or parts.

The same applies to scotch brite pads.

So, for any who did not know, or might have been offended by the abrupt reply to start with, now, you know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThePloughman View Post
    To elaborate.

I collect vintage Rogers 1960's, 70's, and early 80's, among other brands. Chrome does not like steel wool. Painters use steel wool to dull down lacquer between coats, as an alternative to fine sandpaper. Basically, using steel wool on your chromed metal parts is the equivalent of using sandpaper on them. Sure, they make steel wool in very fine grades, 000, 0000 superfine. However, the truth still remains, you are scratching that finish to make a shine. That shine might look real good from ten feet, or twenty feet away, but up close, and the pics wont lie....... I can tell when a vintage drum has been cleaned with steel wool. The difference between a bright shiney 350 dollar 1977 Rogers Dynasonic COB drum......... and 100.00 worth of parts might just be the fact the current owner decided to clean off 30 years of dusty grime with steel wool. Sure that drum is going to look clean, because it used to be dirty, but its not going to be clean with all those scratches on it. In fact....... its now ruined.

So just imagine some 1920s gold plated Ludwig covered in 70 years of dust gets magically dropped into your hands...... youve got a five thousand dollar drum. Or....... you have a ruined, formerly valuable vintage piece which becomes an unshining example of how not to clean any drum.

Steel wool should be your absolute last resort. Rusty chrome, something of no value, something that doesnt matter, rust on stand parts. There are plenty of places and times it might be the only thing left to use. But not on anything that matters or is meant to look good. With the vintage hot rod car market so widespread, its not like you cant find really good altermatives to steel wool in non abrasive cleaners and cremes that would not be harmful to a drum shell or parts.

The same applies to scotch brite pads.

So, for any who did not know, or might have been offended by the abrupt reply to start with, now, you know.
    Good advice ploughman, good, good advice!:icon_

User Info Menu

It's amazing how selfish and disrespectful people can be.
    Do you still remember that beat you had in your head?

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Way to make lemonaide from the lemons MS! Hang in there, and tell your girlfriend's sister that she needs to find new friends!
    Yes, she needs to find new ones because you bludgeoned her old friends to death.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

i think i would beat that punk like he did your drums... i rarely let people play my drums, especially when they are playing with THEIR friends. but all in all, everybody owns a bat and every body needs a "beatin"

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

everybody owns a bat and every body needs a "beatin"

Another classic signiture line!