Thread: Thinking of giving it a whirl?

User Info Menu

Default Thinking of giving it a whirl?

I am curious as to what you guys think about this. I have been studying hand drums (congas, djembe, etc) for the past 3 or 4 years, have been learning to read music, and generally been making what I consider to be good progress. I am a bit familiar with the concepts of drum rudiments, but only as I have adapted them to hand drumming.

Well, today while I was waiting for my drum lesson, I saw a flyer on the board for a local bagpipe and drum corp and it really piqued my interest. They described it as a non-competition, all age bracket corp.

The last time I did any kind of marching band was back in jr. high where I played some snare, but mostly bass drum and a lot of "auxilary" percussion. (I am 43, so this was like eons ago!)

My question is, given my background would it be overly difficult to pick up a scottish drum corp drum? Also, would you recommend snare, bass, or tenors? How would you recommend getting started?

Thanks!
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thinking of giving it a whirl?

Wow, how much time would you have before the competition Midgard? I don't know about the availability of the drum you would need, but I'm sure you could brush up on your technique with a little effort. If you could get the drum, it really wouldn't hurt to give it a try. The worst that could happen is that you might come away with a bruised ego, but that's the worst. You might just find that you've found a whole new, and exciting niche for your drumming! I would say, if it's piqued your interest, give it shot!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Well first of all I think you need to enjoy Scottish music. ( which sounds good to me ).

Then consider the price of buying a marching snare if they arent available from the drum corp .

Sounds like your technique would not be a problem .

IU say go for it if you have the time . Maybe go watch a couple practices before you commit yourself . Keep us posted on what you decide and how you make out with it if you do it .

User Info Menu

Id go check out a practice or performance and talk with the director or percussion lead and let them know of your interest. I'm sure they will ask your background in music and may ask you to tryout. If you havent played snare in many moons, the bass would probably be the best start for you. The bass parts in pipe and drum are usually not overly complex and once you're in you can work on building your chops to try the tenor or eventually the snare. Good luck with it and have fun!

User Info Menu

I've played in Drum Corps snare line and have instructed Drum corps drumlines. Scottish rudimental drumming is very demanding and rigorous. Quite a bit different from what we know as rudimental drumming. By all means, go and take a look and discuss it with the directors.

User Info Menu

Yea, And I'm pretty sure they would have a drum for you to use, if not, maybe a bassist, they only need one. As stated before though, scotch music is very diffrent from any form of corp rudimental music.

For example:

-They use the rudiments that corps dont touch on as much.
    -They use sticks that are not like modern marching sticks, and one stick is usually lighter then the other
    -If there is a hands problem, instead of fixing it like a corp would do, they just adapt their sticks, hence why one stick is usually heavier then the other

But for all means, go for it, The scotch double snares sound amazing when tuned correctly, and are very fun to play, in the mean time though, start working on your traditional grip, and a few rudiments, such as

The drag tap, The double drag, the mill (inv. paraddidle) and the flam mill, those are the scotch rudiments they are most known for using.

User Info Menu

Love those super tight snares ad of course the scurl of the pipes. How could life get any better?

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the insight! I never would have guessed that the Scottish pipe/drum band was so different than regular drumline! I will have to check out one of the practices and see if this still piques my interest.
    ---- If thine enemy wrong thee, buy each of his children a drum. - chinese proverb