Thread: What's the best brand/model metronome?

User Info Menu

Default What's the best brand/model metronome?

I've been looking for a very nice metronome I could use for practice. The best I found so far is the Tama RW-105. What's the best brand/model metronome you've used/owned that you can recommend? Thanks.

METRONOMES

Drums, drums, drums!

5-pc standard 6-ply birch kit
    13x6 Black Panther Maple Snare
    14" Zildjian New Beat HH
    21" Zildjian Sweet Ride
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Crash
    20" 5-star Super Zyn Crash/Ride
    Evans G1 on toms, EC2 on bass
    Evans Genera Dry on Snare
    Pearl Throne, H820w HH Stand, P122-TW DB Pedals
    Gibraltar stands

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's the best brand/model metronome?

Rubb3rduck, when you ask about the "best" metronome, what exactly would you want it to do? There are some pretty good units out there, but some do basic metronome duty, while others add the ability to play a rhythm for you to follow. Some give sounds to follow, while others give sound and lights. There is even a metronome/beat trainer that looks like a practice pad. It will analyze various technical parts of your playing an give you feedback to improve your beat. It all depends on what you are looking for in a metronome, and of course, how much you're willing to spend.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Pretty much everything you said, PB, except the practice pad part. I guess the best metronome for me is something that has several click sounds to choose from, has all the necessary subdivisions, AC/DC, has backlight and headphone jack, mountable, and something that can be heard even while playing. I've been going around window-shopping and the best I found so far is the Tama RW-105. I don't mind spending >100 bucks for a good quality metronome that can last me a lifetime. Can you suggest something better in your experience?
    Drums, drums, drums!

5-pc standard 6-ply birch kit
    13x6 Black Panther Maple Snare
    14" Zildjian New Beat HH
    21" Zildjian Sweet Ride
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Crash
    20" 5-star Super Zyn Crash/Ride
    Evans G1 on toms, EC2 on bass
    Evans Genera Dry on Snare
    Pearl Throne, H820w HH Stand, P122-TW DB Pedals
    Gibraltar stands

User Info Menu

Boss Dr. Rhythm 660. It is a drum machine. You can make click tracks, and you can play to beats at most tempos. I like it more as that use than trying to program and make demos with it.

User Info Menu

Im also in the market for a metronome. I think im going to go with just a basic one though, nothing fancy for me I just want something to play in my ear while I practice.
    "You can take away our keys, you can take away our phones, but you can NOT take away our dreams......Yeah!, thats because were like, sleeping when we have them."

User Info Menu

I've had the Tama for about 6 months and I love it! Once you figure out all of the features it is a great tool to help your playing.I had a Boss Dr. Beat before I bought the Tama. It's a good starter metrodome.

User Info Menu

Yeah there's all kinds. It's a matter of what is practical for you and your budget. I have a Zoom drum machine that I use for practicing bass guitar, but it also works great for practicing drums. Planet Waves has a metronome that I am looking into that also gives out audible pitches which would be useful for tuning drums.
    Sonor, Zildjian, Remo, DW and Vater

User Info Menu

Korg makes several models of Metronomes at very affordable prices. I believe the one I have cost around $35. It has sound on/off, pulse features as well as simple time keeping. About the size of my hand and easy to take along in my stick bag.

User Info Menu

Hello everyone, I'm new here and want some advise with Metronomes. The feature I think I want the most is memory. It seems that I would need 40 or more songs for my bands set list. I say "think" because I am unsure of the features on many of the Metronomes out there. Is it possible I am missing something and the chain mode will allow for more songs? I see this chain feature on many models, what does that do if not hold a chain of songs? When I say songs I do mean a click that is set to a corresponding song in my set. Thanks for any thoughts on this. This seems like a great site I will enjoy for a long time!!

Jim
    Work hard, play harder!!!
    Mapex M Birch: Honey Amber
    Black panther: Birds eye maple
    Janus double pedals

User Info Menu

Hey Jimmie...Welcome to the Forum!! You have me intrigued. If I read your post correctly, you are saying that a feature on some metronomes is to register a "Click" to each song in your set. Is that correct? If so, how do they do that? I have a metronome the will give a tuning note, beats and sub-divided beats as well as setting the correct BPM. But that's all. I got so tired of using it that I have internalized my time keeping for my band as I count off each chart...an 18 pc. Big Band.

BTW, I'm originally from Binghamton, NY and studied with Tony Monforte over 40 years ago.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

fiacovaz, Thats correct you can buy programmable Metronomes that you pre-pre-program to whatever tempo you want. You save these tempos to memory by way of a "tap" button. So, you listen to a song and "Tap" out the tempo and write it to the Metronomes memory. The Tama Rythem watch has 30 spots for songs, Korg Beatlab has 24, Yamaha Clickstation has 84 ( this is one I would like but I can't find one) and so on. You call up these tempos during live shows or practice and away you go. I think I will end up with the Tama unit and just have to make it work. I wish it had a larger memory bank like the Boss DB-90 but I can't see spending $150. I'm really confused on what Metronome to buy at this point but as said I will most likely settle for the Tama unless anyone has a better idea?

Jim

P.S. Glad to hear you are from the area. I feel like I have heard of Tony Monforte in the past. My drum teacher was Bobby Williams and he may have mentioned him in the past.
    Janus double pedals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
    fiacovaz, Thats correct you can buy programmable Metronomes that you pre-pre-program to whatever tempo you want. You save these tempos to memory by way of a "tap" button. So, you listen to a song and "Tap" out the tempo and write it to the Metronomes memory. The Tama Rythem watch has 30 spots for songs, Korg Beatlab has 24, Yamaha Clickstation has 84 ( this is one I would like but I can't find one) and so on. You call up these tempos during live shows or practice and away you go. I think I will end up with the Tama unit and just have to make it work. I wish it had a larger memory bank like the Boss DB-90 but I can't see spending $150. I'm really confused on what Metronome to buy at this point but as said I will most likely settle for the Tama unless anyone has a better idea?

Jim

P.S. Glad to hear you are from the area. I feel like I have heard of Tony Monforte in the past. My drum teacher was Bobby Williams and he may have mentioned him in the past.
    Welcome Jimmy!!! I was born and raised in Auburn, NY!!

User Info Menu

Thank you very much!!! I have family friends that live in Auburn, she makes the BEST mac and cheese I have ever tsted!!!
    Janus double pedals

User Info Menu

SEIKO

all the best...

User Info Menu

kay-gee, Looking at Seiko Metronomes I don't see a model that fits the bill for what I need. Is there a model that I am missing that is better suited for my needs?

Jim
    Janus double pedals

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat JimmyK!

The only metronome that would fit your parameters, that I know of, is the Boss DB-90, but that appears to be out of the price range, so I guess the Tama really would be the next best option.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

pastor_bob, I think you may be right. The other thing nice about the Tama is the L-rod and clamp so you can mount it to you kit..... very nice feature!

Jim

P.S. Thank you, glad to be here. As a kid our pastor at our church was also Pastor Bob....too funny.
    Janus double pedals

User Info Menu

As a kid our pastor at our church was also Pastor Bob....too funny.
    Now that's just cool!

User Info Menu

okay i have to use metrenomes alot and so haves some knowledge slash strong opinions. if you can the dr beat db 90 is good but there is for ahundred bucks a db-88 thats just as good and only has 3 timekeeping sounds. click thump. and an angry russian women lol jk its a voice count the db 66 is preety good to. the yamaha click station is good. i really like that. i didnt know that tama made metrnomes. so go with either the db 90 or db 88 or yamaha clickstation.
    "it aint got no thing if it aint got that swing"

Yamaha Stage Custom Noveau
    10,12,14,20,14 (standard 2 up 1 down)
    Evans EC2 over Remo Ambassador Resos
    Evans Genera Dry over ambassador resos
    DW 5002 double bass pedal
    Sabian 14 inch AAX Xcelerator hats
    Sabian 14 inch HHX X-plosion crash
    Sabian 16 inch AAX studio crash
    Zildjian 17 inch Z custom crash
    Sabian 21 inch AA rock ride
    Zildjian 18 inch oriental china trash
    Agrazian 10 inch Splash

User Info Menu

Welcome Jimmy!!! I was born and raised in Auburn, NY!!

Hey BLD...One of the best I've ever played with is Felix Mucedola from Auburn, NY. He still lives there. His dad, Frank, played accordian with the Montavanni Orchestra for a great many years and toured the world several times with them. I also went to college with Vic Wood who was from Auburn as well. Vic passed away several years ago...to young.

User Info Menu

Christiandrummer777, The Db-88 looks like it only has 8 memory stations available and it also looks like I would have a hard time finding one, they may not make this unit any more? The same kind of goes for the Yamaha clickstation, I don't think they make it any more and this is the unit I really want but I can't find one! The Tama unit is nice but only has 30 program stations available. I can live with 30 and make it work but may need to share some of the settings with songs in my set list.

Jim
    Janus double pedals

Larrysperf Guest

All the Boss ones are good then Tama,Roland has some. Drumometer is very good . Hope this helps

User Info Menu

Jim

Wow! That seems like a heck of an operation for a metronome. With my band, however, I have about 250 charts so far and that would be a whole lot of programming to do. I don't think it would be practical for me but I can understand why it would be for your situation.

User Info Menu

Sooooooo........ to add to my confusion I was told by a music shop that the Alessis SR-16 might be my best bet. This is a drum machine but can do a ton of things including every thing I need, and then some! Anyone have any experience with one of these? Draw back is the price is $150. Any thoughts? Hope to buy something soon before this timekeeper starts to loose sleep!!

Jim
    Janus double pedals